Toyota Yaris conversion

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
evev
Noobie

Toyota Yaris conversion

Post by evev »

Hi,

a couple of quick questions for the experts:

- can a late model vehicle be converted like a 2014 Yaris? I thought I read somewhere there were legal [Australian design rules?] issues with late model conversions

- if it is legal to do so, what would members recommend for a conversion for a town run around that is likely only to need a 30 - 50 km range?

Thanks in advance.

Note to admin - your email was delivered to gmail spam, the note at the top of the email said:
"Why is this message in Spam? It's in violation of Google's recommended email sender guidelines. Learn more"
and linked to:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/ ... entication
so now I've helped you, please help me! :)
woody

Re: Toyota Yaris conversion

Post by woody »

One issue with some (many?) late model cars is traction control/ADC and how integrated it is with the engine management computer:
1. you need to keep the traction control/ADC working
2. sometimes the computer which manages the ADC also manages the engine or talks to it in a non-trivial way
3. when you convert the car you remove the engine
4. the traction control/ADC computer no longer works because it thinks the engine is missing.

This affects some older cars, e.g. Smart ForTwo (the common tiny ones)
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
evev
Noobie

Post by evev »

Thanks, looks like that idea is dead in the water then.
woody

Post by woody »

Not necessarily, the ADC / traction control may have a simple connection (e.g. cut the throttle) which would work for an EV too.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 »

Honestly, for running around at 30-50 km per day as a commuter I would not bother with converting today.
Get a used imiev or Leaf for the same price or less than converting and have a factory EV...you could even get a good deal on one with higher battery degradation as your range needs aren’t so strict.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Or pick up a used ICE in the 1985-1995 range. They have a whole bunch of nice interior features but don't have the smarts of later models.
But be prepared to spend a small fortune on the conversion. Right now, if all you want is a viable EV with under 100 km range, a circa 1990's car conversion and a used Leaf are line-ball. But it won't be long before the market for 2012 Leafs is too small, and the gap between them and the most affordable new EV will still be $20,000. At that point a conversion could still be a goer, but as always, we do it for the fun of doing it, not because it makes financial sense.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Re: the email being spam-listed, yeah that happens to the Secretary@ email address too. It's because I send our group emails with 300+ names in the BCC list. Google catches wind of this and starts spam-blocking by default. Hopefully Rob can sort something...
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

jonescg wrote: Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 13:58Re: the email being spam-listed, yeah that happens to the Secretary@ email address too. It's because I send our group emails with 300+ names in the BCC list. Google catches wind of this and starts spam-blocking by default. Hopefully Rob can sort something...
I see that problem was reported in October last year! The problem is nothing to do with Google. Episodically the people who host the AEVA account get blacklisted, usually because some rogue has set up an account with them and used it to pump out spam so the whole mail server gets black-listed by all legitimate servers (including Google). Our ISP then seeks and destroys the spammer account and everything goes back to normal. It hasn't happened for a while to my knowledge, quite possibly the last time was around October last year.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
Richo

Post by Richo »

carnut1100 wrote: Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 13:24 I would not bother with converting today.
I would :o
carnut1100 wrote: Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 13:24 Get a used imiev or Leaf
Oh god no - that's more reason to convert.

This thread is old.
Why did you dig it up?
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!