AS3001 clarification

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
daveb
Noobie

AS3001 clarification

Post by daveb »

Hi all,

Talking wiring safety for high voltage connections in EVs...

Does anybody know whether "basic insulation and supplementary insulation", as mentioned in AS3001, can be satisfied by double-insulated wire (ie. like this: http://www.evworks.com.au/power-cable-5 ... -sold-by-t which has an inner and an outer layer of insulation)?

Or is it required to be run inside some sort of external barrier like conduit always?

I have searched everywhere, but it is very difficult to get a hold of the Australian Standards.

Many thanks
David
weber
Site Admin

AS3001 clarification

Post by weber »

daveb wrote:I have searched everywhere, but it is very difficult to get a hold of the Australian Standards.

But daveb, these are safety standards. We wouldn't want just anyone being able to find out how to do things safely, now would we? Image

Clearly we need to have a private company own the copyright and charge $123 just to download a 40 page PDF.

Surely you don't expect the Australian government to meet the development expenses, and make PDF downloads of safety standards freely available to all. They might not have enough money left over to fund Adani's coal mine. Image
daveb wrote:Hi all, Talking wiring safety for high voltage connections in EVs...

Does anybody know whether "basic insulation and supplementary insulation", as mentioned in AS3001, can be satisfied by double-insulated wire (ie. like this: http://www.evworks.com.au/power-cable-5 ... -sold-by-t which has an inner and an outer layer of insulation)?
I don't have AS 3001, but in AS 3000, Double insulation is defined as "insulation comprising both basic insulation and supplementary insulation". Since that cable meets the Australian requirements for double insulation, the answer is yes.
Or is it required to be run inside some sort of external barrier like conduit always?

Many thanks
David

Conduit etc may well be required as well, for "mechanical" protection rather than insulation.

There are other standards that EV wiring may have to meet.

I assume this still applies:
https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh ... an2011.pdf

I note that the Draft AS 5139 "Safety of battery systems for use with power conversion equipment" includes electric vehicles in its scope. If you find something in there you don't like, make a formal comment before it's too late (15-Oct-2017).
Last edited by weber on Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
daveb
Noobie

AS3001 clarification

Post by daveb »

Thanks for the reply Weber, and the links - they are useful. Having the official safety documents behind a paywall certainly doesn't help!

Mainly I was interested in clarifying my interpretation of "basic insulation and supplementary insulation", to see whether these criteria were satisfied by a wire with two layers of flexible insulation (which it seems they are). This is good news :)

cheers :)
David