Quad bike EV

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
RobW
Noobie

Quad bike EV

Post by RobW »

Hi There

I am considering modification of an old Yamaha 250cc quad bike to EV.

I have a neurological condition which makes my right foot useless on the quad bike foot brake, so I want to construct a unit which slows down maximally when I ease off the throttle. Am I right in thinking that an AC system with regenerative braking would be my best option?

I would welcome advice on regenerative braking, particularly at slow speed appropriate to travelling at under 10 kph over rough paddocks. Would I be right in thinking that braking will be more effective at higher speeds? Will it be effective at very low speeds?

I am considering the Motenergy ME1117 motor and Sevcon controller.

Advice welcome

thanks

Rob

jonescg

Quad bike EV

Post by jonescg »

Yes, AC will be the way to go here. What power does the bike currently make? A Motenergy dual stator motor should be good for 15 kW all day long, and 30 kW peak (40 hp). No doubt plenty for a quad.

AC will allow you to enjoy regenerative braking as you throttle off with a few simple settings on the controller. You can set the maximum regen torque to anything you like, but as a general rule on motorcycles, about 10% of peak forward torque is heaps.

Get in touch with Geoff O'Toole from GT Tooling - he's based in Sydney but has built some electric quads before.
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
RobW
Noobie

Quad bike EV

Post by RobW »

None of the Yamaha documentation I have indicates power, but I would expect perhaps 7kW max from an old 250cc single cylinder 4 stroke bike engine. And I currently run it at very low power in 1st or 2nd gear - nowhere near max revs.

This quad is used for slow travel over rough ground, so I have no worries about power. I suspect 5kW would suffice. The typical duty cycle involves travel at fast walking pace, with a lot of stop-start as I spot spray weeds, check fences, and open/close gates etc.
RobW
Noobie

Quad bike EV

Post by RobW »

Can regenerative braking offer any braking at zero speed?
I.e. when I stop on a slope, will the AC motor with Sevcon controller offer any resistance to rolling away?

Rob
Tony From West Oz
Noobie

Re: Quad bike EV

Post by Tony From West Oz »

Did you proceed with this project?
What was the outcome?
I have plans for a similar project, but apart from the bike, have little to go on.
Richo

Post by Richo »

Welcome Tony from West Oz.

Rob hasn't been on here for 2 years.
I'd reckon it's a low probability that anything happened.

You're better off starting a new thread in technical discussions outlaying what you want you eV to do and then everyone can put in their 2c.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Tony From West Oz
Noobie

Post by Tony From West Oz »

Thanks Richo. I have started a new thread.
Tony
Last edited by rhills on Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to new thread