Quad bike EV

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
RobW
Noobie

Quad bike EV

Post by RobW » Wed, 06 Apr 2016, 21:12

Hi There

I am considering modification of an old Yamaha 250cc quad bike to EV.

I have a neurological condition which makes my right foot useless on the quad bike foot brake, so I want to construct a unit which slows down maximally when I ease off the throttle. Am I right in thinking that an AC system with regenerative braking would be my best option?

I would welcome advice on regenerative braking, particularly at slow speed appropriate to travelling at under 10 kph over rough paddocks. Would I be right in thinking that braking will be more effective at higher speeds? Will it be effective at very low speeds?

I am considering the Motenergy ME1117 motor and Sevcon controller.

Advice welcome

thanks

Rob

jonescg

Quad bike EV

Post by jonescg » Thu, 07 Apr 2016, 03:51

Yes, AC will be the way to go here. What power does the bike currently make? A Motenergy dual stator motor should be good for 15 kW all day long, and 30 kW peak (40 hp). No doubt plenty for a quad.

AC will allow you to enjoy regenerative braking as you throttle off with a few simple settings on the controller. You can set the maximum regen torque to anything you like, but as a general rule on motorcycles, about 10% of peak forward torque is heaps.

Get in touch with Geoff O'Toole from GT Tooling - he's based in Sydney but has built some electric quads before.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

RobW
Noobie

Quad bike EV

Post by RobW » Thu, 07 Apr 2016, 05:55

None of the Yamaha documentation I have indicates power, but I would expect perhaps 7kW max from an old 250cc single cylinder 4 stroke bike engine. And I currently run it at very low power in 1st or 2nd gear - nowhere near max revs.

This quad is used for slow travel over rough ground, so I have no worries about power. I suspect 5kW would suffice. The typical duty cycle involves travel at fast walking pace, with a lot of stop-start as I spot spray weeds, check fences, and open/close gates etc.

RobW
Noobie

Quad bike EV

Post by RobW » Sat, 09 Apr 2016, 16:53

Can regenerative braking offer any braking at zero speed?
I.e. when I stop on a slope, will the AC motor with Sevcon controller offer any resistance to rolling away?

Rob

Tony From West Oz
Noobie

Re: Quad bike EV

Post by Tony From West Oz » Wed, 07 Feb 2018, 21:32

Did you proceed with this project?
What was the outcome?
I have plans for a similar project, but apart from the bike, have little to go on.

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 12:27

Welcome Tony from West Oz.

Rob hasn't been on here for 2 years.
I'd reckon it's a low probability that anything happened.

You're better off starting a new thread in technical discussions outlaying what you want you eV to do and then everyone can put in their 2c.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Tony From West Oz
Noobie

Post by Tony From West Oz » Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 00:22

Thanks Richo. I have started a new thread.
Tony
Last edited by rhills on Fri, 09 Feb 2018, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to new thread