EV conversion for RWD w/no gearbox?

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
Miles
Noobie

Post by Miles » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 02:07

I'm interested in doing a EV conversion on a small rear wheel drive and not using a gearbox, but running motor shaft into prop shaft/diff, perhaps mounting it mid-vehicle for balance.
Obviously the benefit is that there is a weight saving, but I'd be interested to hear opinions from anyone who has attempted or completed such a task.
I'm thinking of using a really old corolla or similar vehicle for the conversion as the old ones seem to be a bit lighter. Any advice for a suitable model will be most welcome.
I'd be keen to know what kind of motor is best for the task as it needs to be strong enough for what is I presume a high gear ratio for take off?

Miles :)

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 03:42

Is this in addition to your Dihatsu project? Or in place of?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

Miles
Noobie

Post by Miles » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 04:59

This was something I would like to do once the Daihatsu is up and running and I have a better understanding of things. It's the kind of project I'd prefer to do, but the Daihatsu came my way quite cheaply and is worth doing first.
Last edited by Miles on Tue, 04 Aug 2015, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 20:55

Ha ha I had a Corolla KE20 as the next project.
But I ended up selling it as I still have enough to do!

The problem with the "older" cars is they tend to need a lot of $$ just to get the body and drive train up to spec.

The diff doesn't really need to be changed unless you are after extra performance.

Sorry I cant comment on motors since I'm an avid AC industrial fan.
But 9-11" motors would do it.

Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Miles
Noobie

Post by Miles » Tue, 04 Aug 2015, 15:50

Richo wrote: Ha ha I had a Corolla KE20 as the next project.
But I ended up selling it as I still have enough to do!

The problem with the "older" cars is they tend to need a lot of $$ just to get the body and drive train up to spec.

I agree there, but I have a past in panelbeating and have a lot of general mechanical experience too, so that side of things doesn't phase me. I've noticed however, that the purchase cost of these old corollas like the KE10 etc are expensive now, which is the main drawback for me.

Something else I've been considering is a later model like the KE70. Although it is heavier, I'm wondering how much of the extra weight is being contributed by larger engine, box, and accessories? Perhaps 2 stripped down rolling shells of the 2 different models wouldn't be much different?

Johny

Post by Johny » Tue, 04 Aug 2015, 17:20

Miles wrote:...Although it is heavier, I'm wondering how much of the extra weight is being contributed by larger engine, box, and accessories? Perhaps 2 stripped down rolling shells of the 2 different models wouldn't be much different?
I think it more likely that the drivetrain of a later car is lighter (not withstanding aircon, power steering and power brakes) and that the body weight is higher (on later cars). The steady influx of life saving gizmos on cars has made them heavier over time. (I guess power windows comes under body).

If you can find something with no power anything, it's easier to convert.

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 04 Aug 2015, 20:23

For me I guess I just look around regularly for bargains which is how I ended up with the KE20.
I was originally looking for a datto 1600.
If there is no set deadline just keep looking.
Perhaps you could run an ad for a Barn fresh Corolla Image
They exist it's just a matter of time and luck.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.