Anyone converted a Getz?

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
aegidius
Groupie

Anyone converted a Getz?

Post by aegidius » Sat, 21 Jun 2014, 00:49

I have a nice low-km 2009 Getz here which I've inherited. Apart from Ross Blade (who does not seem to do parts) has anyone converted one of these? Looking for sources of bits (adapter plates, etc) and general advice on handling this particular car.
Giles.

jonescg

Anyone converted a Getz?

Post by jonescg » Sat, 21 Jun 2014, 05:07

On EV Album there are a few Hyundais. As for converted Getz's you could look up the REV car: http://www.evalbum.com/2594
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

Miles
Noobie

Anyone converted a Getz?

Post by Miles » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 02:57

I've always thought these models would make a good EV conversion. They are small and lightish and there are heaps of them around. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find one cheap with a knackered motor to convert.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has converted one too.

Miles
Noobie

Anyone converted a Getz?

Post by Miles » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 03:01

Oh, and does anyone know what one of the Blade versions in this model sells for 2nd hand? Or is there not enough been converted for a 2nd hand market?
Last edited by Miles on Sun, 02 Aug 2015, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Richo

Anyone converted a Getz?

Post by Richo » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 20:42

2nd hand ev's are still rare full stop let alone Blade Getz's.
There are quite a few ~1000kg that could be converted.

Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

bladecar
Groupie

Anyone converted a Getz?

Post by bladecar » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 21:34

Hi,

You know, they cost so much to obtain that no one in their right mind would ever expect to get anything near what they paid for one.

They were available when the main manufacturers were doing all they could to make sure the general population saw as little as possible of the Blade Electrons by keeping them out of car shows.

They were available when there was next to nothing else on the market. Then these other cars appeared but at the same price or two thirds but with major manufacturer polish (plus a manufacturer link from the past and a hope from the manufacturers of a continuation on into the future (services, parts, chain around the neck etc).

It is worth it to have some independence from the current system a la Linux compared to the others at the price that Linux demands of their users. But it is worth it. The thing is, if you can't do it yourself, you must know someone who has the expertise, willingness to learn and availability to help you to get to know your car.

I wanted an Electron while they were still available (and, unfortunately, I was right).

Now, the few incidents I have encountered indicate that people think I would give them away for nothing. But guess what, I have the only throwaways that picasso or matisse made, and that aren't up to scratch. But you can't get them anymore.

So I hope they can take me from here to there. I'm currently very pleased with what they do and I have the right mental attitude to accept their current limitations. I reckon they'll be better later, when they're modified with what's coming. It is coming, it's just a bit slow.

Oh well, no worse than owning an old Trumpy, but people (other people) still have those. Strange how that appeals to people.

EDIT:
I've added this bit as an edit. Someone got back to me regarding a survey and it shows what they think about the Blade Electron:

"You are one of a few former Blade owners whom I have spoken to and with whom I empathise."

But, as I've said, no empathy required :)
When a shark bites someone, I don't emphathise. I mentally request that they stay out of the water.

Last edited by bladecar on Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.