Some "don'ts" for EV building

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
peskanov
Groupie

Post by peskanov » Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 12:46

Don't convert a FWD car if you are a newbie to mechanics

This is common knowledge in the EV world; RWD conversion are much easier.
The problem lies in the halfshafts. Usually, one of them exits the differential and goes directly to the wheel.
But the other one is often split into parts that require a supporting point (usually in the ICE engine you have just thrown away).
Providing a good supporting point is critical, as any displacement will destroy the spline of the shaft or worse. But that's difficult for a newbie; I have read about several conversions destroying shafts and I am highly suspicious of my steel structure.

Summary: prefer RWD cars for conversion, or get sure that you FWD car has halfshafts which are easy to keep in place.

evric
Site Admin

Post by evric » Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 14:08

Hi Peskanov,
Luckily not all FWD cars have a split driver's side drive shaft.
One conversion I helped with on a 1990 Daihatsu Charade had a full drive shaft both left and right and was a very easy conversion. I am sure there are others out there... Just pick the right car.
My conversion on a 1985 Holden (Suzuki) Barina required a strong support on the split driver's side shaft, This was made by an engineer freiemd of mine. If you don't think your are able to make these parts get someone else to do it and then have some confidence in your conversion
Eric
Last edited by evric on Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au

peskanov
Groupie

Post by peskanov » Tue, 22 Mar 2016, 14:30

Hi evric,
yes, I know some FWD cars are easier. That's the meaning what I tried to convey in my summary, but my English is lacking. My counsel for a newbie is to check the halfshafts in FWD cars or just go for a RWD conversion.

In my case, being in Spain (where there is no culture of car modifications) it's difficult to get a helping hand with this kind of problems. Usually what I get is people looking at me with a facial expression that says "no way!"

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Sat, 10 Sep 2016, 03:19

bladecar wrote:Watch the petrol/diesel cars accelerate away from the lights...
I don't understand this comment. I don't think that ever happens. For some reason they seem to be still fiddling about with gears while I am well down the road. Image
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, demo iMiEV 2013-present, used Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100%-renewable-by-2020 electricity.

bladecar
Groupie

Post by bladecar » Sat, 10 Sep 2016, 05:32

I know what you mean, but use your rear view mirror :)

The thing is, once you automatically conserve energy while driving your electric vehicle and allow regen time to do its work as you pull up at the obviously-red traffic lights ahead, it becomes farcical to observe the diesels and the petrols accelerate most of the way to the still-red lights (just occasionally they time the green right). So they chew the juice, wear out their brakes, spew out exhaust (but know no different).

Soon, they will be driving EV's but only because that's what they'll be offered at the dealership when the overseas companies start sending electric cars and they can no longer avoid them.

This is supposed to happen significanly even five years away (from comments I've seen about the large European manufacturers and Tesla.

By the way, I'll own up that I have some high performance gas guzzlers that I use for recreation only, in order to weave between the 4 wheel drives. I almost don't feel guilty. I can't remember ever almost running into, or even seeing an electric car on my travels.

poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock » Sat, 10 Sep 2016, 14:59

The legality of this suggestion would need to be considered before doing it: Get a car with 12 months rego. The initial basic conversion could be done reasonably quickly and testing can be done when using daily. Also the car can be driven to the engineer rather than trailered. Repeating, legal ramifications (now there's a word you don't see anymore) must be considered.

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Sat, 10 Sep 2016, 16:16

poprock wrote: The legality of this suggestion would need to be considered before doing it: Get a car with 12 months rego. The initial basic conversion could be done reasonably quickly and testing can be done when using daily. Also the car can be driven to the engineer rather than trailered. Repeating, legal ramifications (now there's a word you don't see anymore) must be considered.

In the ACT, and I expect elsewhere, you can get a special limited registration that would enable you to legally do some basic testing and then drive to the engineer.
Last edited by Peter C in Canberra on Sat, 10 Sep 2016, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, demo iMiEV 2013-present, used Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100%-renewable-by-2020 electricity.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Sat, 10 Sep 2016, 17:33

poprock wrote: The legality of this suggestion would need to be considered before doing it: Get a car with 12 months rego. The initial basic conversion could be done reasonably quickly and testing can be done when using daily. Also the car can be driven to the engineer rather than trailered. Repeating, legal ramifications (now there's a word you don't see anymore) must be considered.

in QLD the sec you change anything significant from the original vehicles parts the REGO is voided to drive on the road till it is approved by main roads and your rego information is updated
Peter C in Canberra wrote:In the ACT, and I expect elsewhere, you can get a special limited registration that would enable you to legally do some basic testing and then drive to the engineer.

in QLD that daily permit is about 1/2 the cost of a full years rego (well it was when i had to get one 3 years ago)

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Sat, 10 Sep 2016, 20:47

Fortunately in South Australia and NSW the cost of the permit is quite cheap and you are the one self certifying the vehicle is safe for road use.
As there are no yrly vehicle inspections in South Australia, just give us the money for the next 12mths, the driver virtually certifies the vehicle is safe to drive every time the vehicle is taken out on the road so.....

T1 Terry
Last edited by T1 Terry on Sat, 10 Sep 2016, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Green but want to learn

poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock » Sun, 11 Sep 2016, 14:35

Pleased to hear that about NSW. I assume that the certification would be similar to an un-registered vehicle permit. And this should keep any insurance in force. Image

Johny

Post by Johny » Sun, 11 Sep 2016, 14:41

It might be a good idea to start a certification thread. This one is a tad off topic now.