Practical question for motorbike riders

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012, 10:58

Hey all

Here is a question for the motorbike riders.
I'm just deciding on the motors for this bike project and I can't decide on one two or 3 motor setup...

Most of the bikes I have ridden have been between the 40-70hp range and that has been plenty of go for me but I'm not so sure how this goes on the ebike.

The motors are the mars ME0913 a 12KW cont 3Kw peak motor
Now my brain says one will do but my maleness says run 2 or 3 as there is an easy triangle set up I have been thinking off.

What are most of you bike riders out there running?

Cheers

BigMouse

Post by BigMouse » Wed, 28 Nov 2012, 20:21

I know one of the racers on here had issues trying to get the load shared between more than one motor. Much damage ensued. One motor would be easiest, by far.

Have you looked through the "member's machines" section to see what others have done?

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Wed, 28 Nov 2012, 20:54

If you are used to riding 600 and 1000 cc bikes, then a single Mars motor or Agni will disappoint. If you want an efficient 80 km/h max commute, then sure.

A pair of motors can work well if you do it right - namely running a pair of brushed motors in series and running a higher voltage battery ~150 V nominal. This way both motors will share the same current.

Brushless motors are harder still to get them to play nice. You can run them in parallel from one controller, but getting their speed constants identical is tough. Another option is to run two separate controllers, but this takes up lots of room and weighs a bit more.

If you do choose to go for a pair of Agni motors, I'll sell you my motor mounts and driveshaft for $100. They are just sitting around here.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012, 23:18

Yeah was thinking two motors two controllers.