Cable gauge

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
Greg partridge
Groupie

Cable gauge

Post by Greg partridge »

I am doing a 72volt 6kw scooter conversion. Does anyone know what gauge cable I should run for the high voltage current?
Greg

weber
Site Admin

Cable gauge

Post by weber »

Greg partridge wrote: I am doing a 72volt 6kw scooter conversion. Does anyone know what gauge cable I should run for the high voltage current?
Greg

In response to your question, I had practically written a course in cable sizing for EVs, complete with tables, when I typed a tab, changed my mind and typed backspace, and the whole thing evaporated, never to be seen again! Ctrl-Z was of no use, as I was no longer even editing a message. I was back just reading your original. The browser forward button was useless too. I checked and it really was tab/backspace that did it. It's completely repeatable. What would posess someone to make tab/backspace be some kind of command!

Anyway, that's completely taken the wind out of my sails and so I will just say 25 mm^2 with an 80 amp fuse, although you might get away with 16 mm^2 with a 63 amp fuse. Go to EVWorks website and look up the time/current characteristics of the fuses and see how long it will take a 63 amp fuse to blow at 6000W/72V = 83 amps.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

BigMouse

Cable gauge

Post by BigMouse »

weber wrote:What would posess someone to make tab/backspace be some kind of command!

That happens to me all the time. Tab moved the focus/cursor out of the text box (on web pages, tab doesn't work like in word processors), and backspace is the same as clicking the "back" button in most browsers. It's not a dedicated command, it's just an unlucky but not unlikely sequence of keystrokes that has an undesired effect when typing on web forums.

weber
Site Admin

Cable gauge

Post by weber »

Thanks for that explanation BigMouse.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

Tritium_James

Cable gauge

Post by Tritium_James »

Completely off-topic, but I think there's a plugin for Firefox that can save the contents of edit boxes on forums to avoid that exact situation. But I can't remember what it's called anymore!

weber
Site Admin

Cable gauge

Post by weber »

Tritium_James wrote: Completely off-topic, but I think there's a plugin for Firefox that can save the contents of edit boxes on forums to avoid that exact situation. But I can't remember what it's called anymore!

Was it "It's all Text!"
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -all-text/
It's not clear to me whether this lets you save or not, without trying it.

Edit: No! It must be one of these:

TextArea Cache
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rea-cache/

Lazarus
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -recovery/

Lazarus looks like it might be the better one. I'll give it a go.

Thanks James!
Last edited by weber on Tue, 01 May 2012, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.