Brake testing

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
Greg partridge
Groupie

Brake testing

Post by Greg partridge » Wed, 18 Apr 2012, 01:35

Has anyone who has converted a motorbike or scooter been required by their engineer to have a brake test costing $1800, in order to meet ADR 33?

Faz
Groupie

Brake testing

Post by Faz » Wed, 18 Apr 2012, 19:06

I'm guessing that situation would only occur when installing a hub motor. As that is the only situation I could see where the braking systems would change from the original bikes brakes.
That is an expensive hit to take if converting a sub $2000 scooter!

Richo

Brake testing

Post by Richo » Wed, 18 Apr 2012, 20:52

What a scam Image
That's about $60/second

Hmm about $2Mil per day.

Sorry gotta go and change careers Image
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Greg partridge
Groupie

Brake testing

Post by Greg partridge » Wed, 18 Apr 2012, 22:43

Yes my 1978 Vespa only cost $600 originally. I am converting to a hub motor with disc brakes instead of the old drum brakes. I'm told that if it was 1976 or earlier the test wouldn't be needed. Evidently we need to hire the Sydney Dragway for the day to complete the test as it can't be done on public roads. $$$$$$. This Vespa will end up costing me 30K!

woody

Brake testing

Post by woody » Wed, 18 Apr 2012, 23:05

How much space does he need? Has one of your Dural neighbours got a nice long driveway?
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Faz
Groupie

Brake testing

Post by Faz » Wed, 18 Apr 2012, 23:42

Surely there is a smaller public testing facility somewhere for that sort of thing?!
Is this scooter expected to hit 200km/h or something?
So this means the conversion needs to be completed (ie running engine) before the brakes can be tested. Hmmm leaving the braking system till last, not the way I'd do it.Image

BigMouse

Brake testing

Post by BigMouse » Thu, 19 Apr 2012, 03:54

This sort of testing was brought up as a warning in various motoring communities when the new modification engineering scheme was being tossed around. As I recal, the scare was somewhat mitigated by the impression that such requirements are not established by the ADRs or other rules specifically. The engineer doing the sign off only has to prove to his own satisfaction that a modification meets the requirements. One engineer will want to hire a track for a day and test the results emperically, while another engineer will go off the ratings/manufacturer data of the components used (as well as observation of correct installation) to establish suitability for the application.

I'd say you might want to get in touch with another engineer about the sign-off, one with more realistic ideas about the level of testing required.

Adverse Effects

Brake testing

Post by Adverse Effects » Thu, 19 Apr 2012, 04:12

that is one unreasonable engineer wanting that test

go to a local shopping center on a late Sunday arvo when there closed

surly you can get up to top speed in that area

Johny

Brake testing

Post by Johny » Thu, 19 Apr 2012, 17:47

BigMouse wrote:I'd say you might want to get in touch with another engineer about the sign-off, one with more realistic ideas about the level of testing required.
I agree. A few phone calls might save you big dollars. An engineer with a bit of experience may well sign it off based on visual inspection, some simple calculations and a couple of panic stop tests.

bga

Brake testing

Post by bga » Mon, 30 Apr 2012, 02:18

I think you need a new engineer. This guy's a twit!

The panic stops are what it's about. These are dead easy to set up and test. - Two cones and a tape measure and 1/2 an hour.

Are the vespa like a normal motor cycle with independent front and rear brakes? Balance between the front and rear brakes could be an issue, but the panic stop easily demonstrates this. If it's not reasonably well balanced, it'll be obvious and not stop in the distance.

Going to a dragway to test a Vespa... I'm sure you'll be the first and prepare to be laughed at. Image

Last edited by bga on Sun, 29 Apr 2012, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the end of the world, but I can see it from here.

Greg partridge
Groupie

Brake testing

Post by Greg partridge » Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 11:28

Here are some pics showing progress on the conversion. Image

Greg partridge
Groupie

Brake testing

Post by Greg partridge » Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 11:30

BMS about to be installed into the two battery boxes

Canberra32
Groupie

Brake testing

Post by Canberra32 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 14:30

Or just put a bigger disk on than standard and they probably won't be able to argue the point.
The engineer said I wld have do a brake test on the mx5 when I turboed it.
So instead I slapped 350mm 6pot brakes on and never had to do the test because they rated to stop a car twice the size :)

Bluefang
Groupie

Brake testing

Post by Bluefang » Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 01:51

Any suggestions on how to get around doing a brake test when the approved engineer has passed the vehicle and is very happy with everything but the Queensland Vehicle Standards senior policy officer my bike is going through is adamant that i needs a ADR brake test due to changing the rear wheel and brakes?

The bike originally weighted 125kg, its currently under 100kg, been changed from a 2 seater to single. The front brakes are standard, the rear brakes are the same diameter disc as the originals but attached to a hub motor, they are been controlled by a handle bar mounted brake leaver but i am using stainless steel brake hose to compensate for the length of hose run. I have even explained all this to the Policy officer but he would not budge, wouldnt even tell me what the ADR brake test would involve cause i had found a few different ones. My engineer says he can do the complete test for $1800 but he disagrees with having too do it so he is talking to Vehicle standards to try and change it but its not looking good :(