How to convert a hybrid

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
PlanB

How to convert a hybrid

Post by PlanB »

weber wrote:
Woody, is there any way we could get your motor up to Brisbane to go on Tritium's dyno?

For that matter, it would be good to see the SEW motor in star on Tritium's dyno.

Dunno how we got here from "How to convert a hybrid". Image

I second both of those first 2 sentiments Dave. As for the third, I may not have learnt much EV stuff on this forum these last 3 years but I sure know thread drift when I see it, we probably should move over to the Rx400H thread

So what are the approx dimensions of your ABB Woody?
weber
Site Admin

How to convert a hybrid

Post by weber »

PlanB wrote:I may not have learnt much EV stuff on this forum these last 3 years but I sure know thread drift when I see it, we probably should move over to the Rx400H thread.

I second that. So Woody, and anyone else replying re Woody's induction motor or star-delta or induction motors for general, non-hybrid, AC conversions please reply here:
viewtopic.php?p=37969&t=2435#p37969
Last edited by weber on Thu, 12 Jul 2012, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
gtyler54
Noobie

How to convert a hybrid

Post by gtyler54 »

Hi all, I am new to this list, George Tyler from Hamilton, NZ. I have 3 NHW10's, want to convert one to all electric. I have been working on Priuses for a few years, mainly the batteries, they don't give much other trouble.Another one was 270,000 km on the clock. We have had one for 6 years, bought when it was 8 years old, still going strong. I have worked on the battery twice, first time was because I did not know the air flow sensor was dirty.
As far as the Prius goes, even with the batteries dying eventually,I think it is one of the most reliable cars made. less trouble that the new common rail diesels and cheaper to fix, one guy was quoted $22,000 after having water in the diesel...
gtyler
evric
Site Admin

How to convert a hybrid

Post by evric »

Hi George, and welcome to the forum.
Have you had any experience in converting the NHW20 Prius to plug in?
Eric.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au
coulomb
Site Admin

How to convert a hybrid

Post by coulomb »

[ Edit: For NHW10 hybrids only: ]

From the Yahoo Mk1_Prius group:

"Local Toyota agent phoned, my new battery is here! NZ$3500, including tax and fitting. 6year/160,000km guarantee! This changes everything, suddenly these cars are a bargain."

From this post: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mk1 ... ssage/6451 (Free registration required, I think).

For those that don't know, some Toyota bigwig made an announcement that replacement batteries would be provided to existing NHW10 owners if they wanted them, at a reasonable price. Many observers were sceptical, since these batteries are no longer manufactured. In fact, we still don't know where they sourced them from. But at least Toyota has supported these older but still quite usable cars, though it remains to be seen how long the offer lasts.

For reasons unknown, Toyota is insisting on getting back the old battery packs. I suspect they want to analyse them, to see if they can learn anything from how they aged, but that's pure guesswork.
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 21 Oct 2012, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
Mr. Mik
Groupie

How to convert a hybrid

Post by Mr. Mik »

My understanding is that this is for NHW10 owners in NZ who have a "Power Jockey" installed. At least that seems to be how it started.

Mik

coulomb wrote: From the Yahoo Mk1_Prius group:

"Local Toyota agent phoned, my new battery is here! NZ$3500, including tax and fitting. 6year/160,000km guarantee! This changes everything, suddenly these cars are a bargain."

From this post: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mk1 ... ssage/6451 (Free registration required, I think).

For those that don't know, some Toyota bigwig made an announcement that replacement batteries would be provided to existing NHW10 owners if they wanted them, at a reasonable price. Many observers were sceptical, since these batteries are no longer manufactured. In fact, we still don't know where they sourced them from. But at least Toyota has supported these older but still quite usable cars, though it remains to be seen how long the offer lasts.

For reasons unknown, Toyota is insisting on getting back the old battery packs. I suspect they want to analyse them, to see if they can learn anything from how they aged, but that's pure guesswork.
There is always a way if there is no other way!
coulomb
Site Admin

How to convert a hybrid

Post by coulomb »

Oops! I left out the important fact that this is for NHW10 hybrids only; I've added that to the post. Thanks for pointing that out.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Power Jockey, other than as a trigger indicating that something needs to be done. The Power Jockey has always seemed a dubious prop-up to me, and I assume it would not be needed or at all desirable with a new hybrid battery with warranty.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
Mr. Mik
Groupie

How to convert a hybrid

Post by Mr. Mik »

Indeed, it was not meant to be only for NHW10's that would continue with a "Power Jockey", but for NHW10's so that they will get rid of the dangerous "Power Jockey".
coulomb wrote: Oops! I left out the important fact that this is for NHW10 hybrids only; I've added that to the post. Thanks for pointing that out.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Power Jockey, other than as a trigger indicating that something needs to be done. The Power Jockey has always seemed a dubious prop-up to me, and I assume it would not be needed or at all desirable with a new hybrid battery with warranty.
There is always a way if there is no other way!