how much power

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
project power
Noobie
MSN: jarvisjavascript@hotmaIl.com

how much power

Post by project power »

hi guys i was wondering if anyone could tell me roughly how do u work out how much power is required e.g. how powerfull does my engine neeed to be to prupell my car im looking at doing a 2000 model holden rodeo duel cab

cheers guys Image
chris

Richo

how much power

Post by Richo »

Well there are a number of ways to work it out.
1. Imperical Testing
2. Theoretical calculations
3. Rule of thumb

Roughly speaking you will need about 20-25kW continuous to go about 100kph.
But you will need a lot more for the acceleration (peak power).
If you look at what the car had originally this will give an idea of peak power.
The coninuous power of an electric motor should generally meet the requirements if the peak power is met.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

project power
Noobie

how much power

Post by project power »

okay cool down a bill mashiery theres a 100hp or 74 kw motor {i think} this in therory should be enough to prupell the ute for what i need it for its an old industrail motor its ac but i think it should do the job can you guys give me any advice on second hand eletric motors.
chris

Johny

how much power

Post by Johny »

project power wrote:... a 100hp or 74 kw motor
How much does this motor weigh?
A lot depends on the rated speed of the motor.
If it is a 1460RPM (or thereabouts, 4 pole) then you will have to get it rewound for lower voltage which essentially raises the rated speed (at full torque).
If it's a 2960 RPM (2 pole) then it may be usable as is but you may need to retain the gearbox.

project power
Noobie

how much power

Post by project power »

hi johny the motor is a weg eletric motor 4 [pole 100hp bill has not spoke about its rpm but im going oout thaTWAY TODAY SO I CAN FIND OUT IF YOU WISH TO LOOK FOR YOURSELF THIS URL SHOULD GET U TO IThttp://www.billsmachinery.com.au/details.php?id=9894
ALSO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON BIULDING CARS FROM WREAKS FROM THE YARDS
chris

Johny

how much power

Post by Johny »

project power wrote: hi johny the motor is a weg eletric motor 4 [pole 100hp bill has not spoke about its rpm but im going oout thaTWAY TODAY SO I CAN FIND OUT IF YOU WISH TO LOOK FOR YOURSELF THIS URL SHOULD GET U TO IThttp://www.billsmachinery.com.au/details.php?id=9894
According to my WEG catalogue they don't make an aluminium frame motor above 10kW so it's likely a Cast iron frame 75kW. This puts it at about 660kg - a tad heavy Image
project power wrote:ALSO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON BIULDING CARS FROM WREAKS FROM THE YARDS
In Victoria it's illegal to put a car back on the road once insurance has written it off (someone correct me if this is wrong). Don't know about WA.

project power
Noobie

how much power

Post by project power »

johny thank you for your help i think our laws may be different because ive seen a fare few people rebiulding wreaks dono if they where insurance wrightoffs tho the may just have been cars that got wrighten off coz there past there use buy date they look to be struturely okay just shot motors ect ill take a look at bills later today.
chris

Taffy
Groupie

how much power

Post by Taffy »

You can get it registered from insurance right offs (eg a porchse with a smashed bumper) but not from "crash"- forget the term right off(eg an Astra that was T boned and chassis rails are now bent). I would get an expert view rather then just from a forum on that 1 though.

project power
Noobie

how much power

Post by project power »

cool that sounds good to me ill talke a look around and see what i can find. umm ill keep looking around salvage yards for motors in the mean time. ill look for a lighter smaller motor about 25kw continus.thanks guys
chris

Peter C in Canberra

how much power

Post by Peter C in Canberra »

My motor (ADC8") is capable of more peak power (~60KW from memory) than I can get from my battery (~40KW max (product of volts and current)), and that is when it's warm. Cold (zero to 10 degrees) I am getting around 25KW max. Getting a powerful enough motor may not be the limiting factor.
Peter.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, Mitsubishi iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-2019, Hyundai Kona 2019-present on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity.

woody

how much power

Post by woody »

Yep, I'd echo what Peter says, all components need to work together to deliver the power - from the batteries through the wiring, controller, motor, gearbox, drivetrain, tyres, driver :-)

The weakest link will limit your performance.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Richo

how much power

Post by Richo »

If you want an industrial AC motor generally you would look at sizes 11-22kW 4-pole.
Bills rarely ever get an Aluminium case motor.
A cast Iron motor will likely put your car overweight unless you plan carefully.

WA is no different for write-offs as it is national.
If you want to use one you will need to ring the licencing centres to check if the vehicle is in the register.
DPI Write-off register info

priit
Groupie
MSN: vedru@hotmail.com

how much power

Post by priit »

If the car is Repairable Writeoff, you can repair it and have it registered again, if it is Statutory Writeoff, you can only use it for parts, but can not register it again.

Richo

how much power

Post by Richo »

Yes always wise to check the register if you want to buy an unregistered vehicle.