OFF THE SHELF RANGE EXTENDING BATTERY SETS

How do you store and manage your electricity?
Randall679
Groupie

OFF THE SHELF RANGE EXTENDING BATTERY SETS

Post by Randall679 »

I live "out of town" and there aren't that many charging points between me and the big city. I'd like to be able to buy or organise a battery/inverter system like this bloke (in the video) that I can drop in the boot when I plan on trying to go beyond the distance ... a safety ... a fallback ... the Volkswagen extra fuel tank. Or even a set of normal lithium cells ... Any entrepreneurs out there who could take the lead on this?

[Mod edit for video CJ]
brendon_m

Re: OFF THE SHELF RANGE EXTENDING BATTERY SETS

Post by brendon_m »

Well that system is all but useless. There would not be enough power. To get 2400w (10a wall outlet equal) you need 200a from a 12v battery (ignoring losses). 100ah batteries x 3 is 300 ah. So 1.5hrs to completely dead. Then throw in Peukert of about 55% and not wanting to kill the batteries within 5 cycles and you'll be lucky to get 30min. 30 min of charge from a standard plug will not get you much extra range.
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

https://youtu.be/ZSqGBPBxfUE
This guy does a much more viable range extender. Had some niggles mostly because he's using a different chemistry but hooking an extra battery straight into the dc bus on the car is a much more efficient way to go. Oh and no lead acid.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

There have been a few attempts made at e-jerrycans but as far as I'm aware they have all proven to be unsatisfactory for one reason or another. Currently I'm using a portable generator as a fallback solution in the sticks although I've only needed to use it a few times. A generator might not be as environmentally-friendly as we'd all like, but 30kg is a lot easier to handle than a few hundred kilograms of battery and inverter. At least one person tried to convince the car that feeding 500vdc into the HV bus would be acceptable although I understand that didn't fly either.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

A 100Ah 12v LiFeP04 battery and a 1500w inverter would give you approx. an hrs charging at 5 amps through the on board charger, but would 1.2kWh worth of recharging that would put you on the side of the road for an hr be worth the effort and expense?
To step that up to 10 amps would really require twice the capacity for both the battery and inverter and more than double the weight because 3000w continuous inverters are heavy, but it would put around 2.4kWh back in the battery.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn