Zappi EVSE

How do you store and manage your electricity?
LouB
Noobie

Zappi EVSE

Post by LouB » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 10:27

The Zappi 7kW EVSE is apparently available for pre-order from evolutionaustralia.com.au priced at AU $1099. Expected to be available in limited quantities in early September.
i am particularly interested in this product because it promises to be a neat means of charging an EV solely from Solar PV generation. We have up to 10.08 kW [peak] solar available.

I have read a few earlier posts where people have sourced this unit directly from the UK. Has anyone been yet able to purchase one from an Australian supplier?
To those that already have one: what has been your experience to date?

Cheers
Lou
Last edited by rhills on Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by Admin to make web link clickable.

jonescg

Re: Zappi EVSE

Post by jonescg » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 10:32

Those guys are corporate supporters of the AEVA - so hit them up for a discount.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

LouB
Noobie

Post by LouB » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 09:35

If anyone wants to know more on the Zappi EVSE, these videos provide quite a lot of info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQnzk9LvRoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EtegQfZQRw

The first video is a lengthy and fairly technical overview of the whole system, while the second provides more of a user's perspective.

Cheers
Lou

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 14:05

Hi Lou,
I have an OpenEVSE three phase unit. Max 30kW but I only use 22kW for the Zoe. Handles single and three phase. It has inbuilt WiFi and is its own AP when no WiFi around or connects to a defined AP if there is one nearby. It links easily to EmonCMS (this took only 60mins to set up). Max 40amps per phase.
It also has solar integration so that once your solar export exceeds a predefined figure, it starts charging your EV. It then manages the current available to the EV as solar production increases or decreases. It will not go below 6 amps because otherwise the relays would cut and re-engage too often shortening the life of the EVSE. In other words, once it starts charging, it continues even if the sun goes out. I have not yet installed enough solar (but will soon) so I cannot comment on the effectiveness, but it works for other people.
You can also set the unit to start and stop at predefined times. There is also a setting to stop after a predefined number of kW have been delivered to the EV.
Regards,
Dave

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 14:12

Here is a bit of a discussion of Zappi and OpenEVSE with regard to solar diversion:

https://community.openenergymonitor.org ... ivert/5808

Tassie6er
Noobie

Post by Tassie6er » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 15:37

Hello, I was lucky enough to find a Zappi on ebay when I purchased my Model S. The charger runs at about 22 kw as it is on single phase power. It is a great unit and works really well. There is a lot of satisfaction in knowing that instead of returning power to the grid, you can run your car on all solar. I would thoroughly recommend getting one!

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 15:38

Hi Lou,
At first I also bought a simple portable EVSE from Evolution Australia. They were excellent to deal with and the unit came super fast plus worked exactly as described. It is a single phase unit settable to 10A, 15A, 32A. Totally waterproof. You change settings by shaking it vigorously when first turned on. Displays amps, volts, kWHrs & setting status.
Another member here, also with a Zoe, bought the 6A, 10A, 15A version and he also is happy with that.
My OpenEVSE uses my standard Zoe cable to save too many cables (it has a Mennekes socket on the front).
Cheers,
Dave

LouB
Noobie

Post by LouB » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 07:29

I too support Open Source where I can; I run various flavours of Linux on each of myPCs. The OpenEVSE looks the goods but I've not been able to find it from an Aus supplier. After some previous experience with imported electrical/electronic gear I'm wary of items that may not meet Australian Standards or regulations.

For the past 6 years we have had 3.6kW of solar panels. Partly to charge the proposed EV and parly because our ageing Off-peak hot water needs replacement, we recently upped our solar PV to 10.08kW. Have also connected an LG RESU10 (9.8kWh) battery. The idea is to now replace Off-peak with a heat pump, thus minimizing our connection to the grid. Not quite off-grid, but the closest thing to it. In a very small way we hope to help drive Coal Fired generation to extinction.

After some consideration of available EVSEs, I have placed the Zappi on pre-order. Zoe purchase is still a month away.
Have also bought a 'granny cable' (10A) to trickle charge at homes of family and friends .

The reasons for Zappi:
Though we have 3phase supply, the original inverter is a string single phase and the new one is single phase Hybrid (to interface with the battery).
We are retired, and do not require really fast home charging. 32A max charging current of the Zappi from single phase is ample for our needs.
Zappi appears to provide a simple set and forget solution.
The Zappi might give us that inner glow that comes with knowing that the EV is totally running on sunlight.

Cheers
Lou

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 06:34

Hi Lou, those solutions sound excellent. The inner glow will add to that you get when not spewing out exhaust in tunnels and at traffic lights.
There is no way you need a whopping big EVSE in your garage so you'll have no problems. My three phase one is for long trips (tried it at a showground with 3PH 32A yesterday) and for solar integration once we have the solar. But for solar, it will be running fairly low amps during times of excess.
Our constant consuming devices are a server, a CCTV system and various backup servers. I converted all of these to run off 12VDC with integrated UPSs and limited battery storage with shallow cycling of AGMs. I have a few hundred watts of solar with three MPPT chargers (I have always designed and built my own MPPTs since 2004- keeps costs low). These have been super reliable and now saved their cost and I'll look to integrate them into an Enphase AC solar system.
Cheers,
Dave

LouB
Noobie

Post by LouB » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 06:42

Hi Tassie6er

Wow! Your Model S must be capable of return journeys to any point in Tassie on a single charge. Tasmania must be the ideal state to own an EV, with reduced range anxiety and with the grid mainly fed from green hydro. How long does it take to charge that huge battery from the Zappi?

Cheers
Lou

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 13:30

Hm, 22kW single phase is around 100amps. Not sure where one would find such an outlet, but perhaps Tassie has something unique. I would like to see the connecter. It clearly is not Mennekes because the biggest one of those is 63amps. Also, I thought max AC charge for a Tesla was around 18kW not 22kW? Zoe is 22kW or 43kW if you have the Q90 (in Europe).

22kW is normally three phase. So perhaps a decimal point is missing?

Cheers,
Dave