Arvio 3.5kWh drop-in-battery-replacement supercapacitor on sale

How do you store and manage your electricity?
gyrovague
Noobie

Re: Arvio 3.5kWh drop-in-battery-replacement supercapacitor on sale

Post by gyrovague »

Thanks @weber. The evidence you and others submitted in this thread is very compelling indeed. The supercapacitors are currently being actively marketed and promoted in South Africa unfortunately, wonder how many people have fallen for it already.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Even with LTO cells, it will be a long time before any capacity loss is noticed.
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
gyrovague
Noobie

Post by gyrovague »

Yup, but at least if they market it as LTO instead, you know what you're getting. The only reason I was even considering the supercap (at 50% more cost per kWh) was because of the (claimed) essentially infinite lifetime without degradation, irrespective of DoD etc. etc., but if all those claims are false, I'd rather just get some Li-ion solution at less upfront cost and know I'd need to replace in probably 10-15yrs.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

Even real caps dry out after 10 - 15 years. Ceramics might get to 40 years, but they're far from energy dense
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
gyrovague
Noobie

Post by gyrovague »

Thoughts on these?
https://zoxcell.com/supercapacitors/
https://zoxcell.com/supernova/

Claims look almost identical to the Sirius module.
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

there just relabelled Arvio units by the look of it
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Tue, 18 Feb 2020, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Yup. Zoxcell is the same old scam with a new face. Thanks for letting us know, @gyrovague.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
gyrovague
Noobie

Post by gyrovague »

Attached is a quote they (Zoxcell) sent me for individual supercapacitors. They also have a new flat pouch unit available (as opposed to the cylindrical ones), 21000F 4.2V 75Wh. (According to me that should be more like 51Wh, shrug...). Makes me wonder whether "Fared"[sic] is really a new unit they invented :P

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of these to test, but a bit pricey and shipping from UAE will no doubt not be cheap -- assuming I even eventually receive something at all.
Attachments
zoxcell.png
zoxcell.png (60.42 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

Ah yes, the fared [sic] the unit of capecitance [sic], named after Fareed al Shadi the Ig Nobel prize winning scam artist. ;) Its symbol is F, the same as the farad. Couldn't this cause confusion? Of course not. Move along. Nothing to see here.

For a battery of capacity Q in amp hours, maximum voltage Vₘₐₓ and nominal voltage Vₙₒₘ, its capecitance in fareds is calculated as
C = (3600×Q×Vₙₒₘ)/(0.5×Vₘₐₓ²) and its maximum working voltage is given as Vₘₐₓ. 3600 is the number of seconds in an hour, and is required to convert amp-hours to coulombs, or watt-hours to joules. All this assumes the "capecitor" is discharged to zero volts. But never mind that.

So for example, a 1.3 Ah lithium titanate (LTO) cell (2.4 V nominal, 2.7 V max) becomes a 3600×1.3×2.4/(0.5×2.7²) ≈ 3000 F 2.7 V capecitor.

To reverse the process we have:
Q = (0.5×Vₘₐₓ²)/(3600×Vₙₒₘ)
To determine Vₙₒₘ, find the high-discharge-rate lithium ion chemistry that has the same maximum voltage as the capecitor and use its nominal voltage.

So max 2.7 V means LTO with nominal 2.4 V, and max 4.2 V means LCO with nominal 3.6 V or NMC with nominal 3.7 V.

So the 100 000 F 2.7 V capecitor is a 42 Ah LTO, and the 21 000 F 4.2 V capecitor is a 14 Ah LCO or NMC. But not an ordinary LCO or NMC. Probably one with "graphene balls" added to greatly improve the conductivity and hence the maximum discharge rate.

It's interesting that they are now using high rate 4.2 V cells. I hope they didn't get the idea from me. :o Because that's what I predicted they were using, starting here, before we knew anything about the internals of the module.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
weber
Site Admin

Post by weber »

gyrovague wrote: Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 03:46 I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of these to test, but a bit pricey and shipping from UAE will no doubt not be cheap -- assuming I even eventually receive something at all.
You would be doing the world a service. But make sure that when you test them you do the same test to some "controls", which would be known hi-rate lithium ion cells (clearly labelled as such) and real supercapacitors, both in the same package with the same dimensions as the Zoxcell device.