Labelling of Battery Compartment ???

How do you store and manage your electricity?
goingbush
Groupie

Labelling of Battery Compartment ???

Post by goingbush » Sun, 24 Dec 2017, 08:02

My EV project is nearing completion,

reading through NCOP14
2.6 Labelling of Battery Compartments
Some batteries contain chemicals, particularly acids, which may cause a hazard in the event of a
crash. Each battery compartment should be labelled with the appropriate hazard symbols for the battery chemistry in use.
where does one obtain such labels , I have the usual lightning bolt stickers but they give no indication of chemistry, or do I just write "LiFePo4" on the boxes with a Sharpie ??

jonescg

Re: Labelling of Battery Compartment ???

Post by jonescg » Sun, 24 Dec 2017, 10:09

I think the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark / lightning bolt is the best option. A "Danger hazardous voltageges / Hazardous stuff inside" warning really. As there are no acids to vent there's no need for anything like "corrosive" and the like.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Sun, 24 Dec 2017, 10:51

With regulations, you have to read every word carefully IMHO:
Each battery compartment should be labelled with the appropriate hazard symbols for the battery chemistry in use.
(my emphasis). To me that doesn't mean you have to specify what the battery chemistry is, just warn about the hazards "appropriate for" (or relevant to) that chemistry.

I think the rule would be better reworded:
Each battery compartment should be labelled with hazard symbols appropriate for the battery chemistry in use.
Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Jun 2018
Total Petrol: 586.8L
ODO: 42885
Av Consumption: 1.37 L/100km

goingbush
Groupie

Post by goingbush » Mon, 25 Dec 2017, 09:51

Excellent, thanks fellas . Yellow HAZV lightning bolt stickers it is then !!

4Springs

Post by 4Springs » Mon, 01 Jan 2018, 17:31

goingbush wrote:
Sun, 24 Dec 2017, 08:02
where does one obtain such labels , I have the usual lightning bolt stickers but they give no indication of chemistry, or do I just write "LiFePo4" on the boxes with a Sharpie ??
My interpretation led me to get some yellow labels made up:
DSCN4254.JPG
DSCN4254.JPG (111.55 KiB) Viewed 640 times
These were made by my local trophy shop. It is that stuff that is two colours of plastic, with the top yellow layer removed to expose the black bottom layer. I had six(!) battery boxes to label. When I went to lithium batteries I had new ones made that say (I think) "Contains Lithium (LFP) Batteries".
They were not expensive - from memory less than $5 each. You can see that this one is held on with a screw at each end. When the label is heated by the sun it expands and bows up - slightly annoying at car shows. I'd recommend not using that method of fixing such labels.

I had an interesting conversation with an emergency services volunteer at our recent car show in Devonport. She was asking what should she be considering when approaching a rolled electric or hybrid vehicle. I showed her the orange conduit on a couple of cars, and told her that each model and home-build will have an isolation switch. I also told her that turning the car off (I showed her an Outlander off button as an example) should disable all electrics - this was not part of her training for ICE vehicles and she hadn't considered it. Her issue with the battery boxes was that if she needed to cut through a vehicle she'd like to know what was in there. Another thought is that if there was a squashed box with goo seeping out onto someone's skin, a label would mean she could look up the MSDS to see what it was.
So I guess I'm saying that a bit of a description might be a good thing.

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 08 Jan 2018, 13:07

4Springs wrote:
Mon, 01 Jan 2018, 17:31
You can see that this one is held on with a screw at each end. When the label is heated by the sun it expands and bows up - slightly annoying at car shows. I'd recommend not using that method of fixing such labels.
Ask them to put 3M MP467 or similar on it next time.
They should have this already in the shop.
You can still use the screws.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.