Battery Suppliers

How do you store and manage your electricity?
4Springs
Site Admin

Battery Suppliers

Post by 4Springs »

The AEVA Launceston Conversions Group are helping out Launceston College to convert a Mighty Boy to electric.
The vehicle is purchased, with parts all over the floor.
We have a motor, controller, and lots of other bits. No photos unfortunately, must get onto that...

We need to make a decision on what battery to use. This is where we need your help!
What batteries are available now? This is a small vehicle, so we're looking for something small and light. My guess off the top of my head is that we'd be looking for about 10kWh - it doesn't need to travel far in its' job as a school project.
My thought is something like used Leaf or Tesla cells. Price is a consideration but may not be too difficult if we can get a sponsor. Would be great to get something that means fewer connections. There is some haste on this project so an Australian supplier would be preferred.

If you know of suppliers please post them here. If we get lots of replies then hopefully this will be a useful thread for others as well.
weber
Site Admin

Re: Battery Suppliers

Post by weber »

You need to tell us the nominal voltage of this battery, so we can work out amp-hours and number of cells in series for different chemistries.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
suziauto
Groupie

Post by suziauto »

Hi , we bring in used nissan leaf and chev volt cells .. what voltage you need? what is the controller amps?

cheers graeme
Richo

Post by Richo »

Why not start with a lead sled?
Cheap and available at your corner store.
It's likely they will kill something in the beginning anyway.
Then in following years the next lot of students can upgrade to lithium when more funding is available.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

We have a controller that has a range of 92 - 170VDC and 600A. I guess about 150V would be best, since that is fairly common.
At the moment we can only afford about 160kg of battery, so lead won't go far. And there seems to be a willingness to find the money for lithium.
Richo

Post by Richo »

So about 20 Leaf cells is about 9kWh 152V.
There was someone around that had something like that qty from a wrecked leaf otherwise check with SuziAuto what the availability is like from the US.
The Tesla cells - not too sure if anyone has had success (yet) getting module in ebay or otherwise.
In my opinion the Tesla modules may be harder to work with than the Leaf cells for a student project.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Blake13
Noobie

Post by Blake13 »

fr
Last edited by Blake13 on Mon, 28 Aug 2017, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock »

Not wanting to divert this thread, but I have a battery related query. On DIY EV Kiwi Duncan said that he was able to import Volt batteries from USA . As I am moving into the 21st century and soon re-cycling my Pb, I would appreciate any experiences, good or bad, with suppliers and any recommendations. My Carry van is the same model as OhmBoy's with 3 fabricated battery boxes 520x310x 250 deep.(John Pels previous conversion.) I will use the same electrician who inspected the original setup so as to eliminate the boofhead factor :-). Any advice appreciated.
suziauto
Groupie

Post by suziauto »

hi , i think pretty much any lifepo4 would be a vast improvement .. send me an email with the box sizes , pack voltage amd controller output amps and i will send you a few options..

cheers graeme suziauto@live.com.au
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

EVRIC Eric gave a bit of a presentation on some new chemistry NCM cells from Westart https://www.ev-power.com.au/product/wes ... -7v-cells/ gives a bit of info on them. 2.5kg for a 100Ah 3.7v cell compared to 3.2kg for a Winston 100Ah 3.3v cell and about half the size, as in 2 Westart cells fit in the same spot as a single Winston 100Ah cell.
Maybe a PM to Eric might get you more info and maybe a bit of info up on the forum as well .... no pressure :wink:

T1 Terry

EDIT: Just noticed Suziauto has NCM cells listed as well.
Green but want to learn