Cheap 144V chargers

How do you store and manage your electricity?
Vectrix150V
Groupie

Cheap 144V chargers

Post by Vectrix150V » Thu, 22 Aug 2013, 17:45

Since my chargers have died (600W BMSBattery units) I have been running a very basic capacitive divider charger - it isn't isolated, and had an extremely poor power factor. (0.3)

I've narrowed my decision down to either an Elcon (TC/Chennic) or Kingpower.

Both end up roughly the same price: $450

Elcon TCCH-144-08 = $352 + $100 shipping through DHL
Kingpan KP-K - $332 + $95 shippijng through DHL

(Prices from EVAssemble - China)

Now, the Kingpan is more servicable (and moddable) than the Elcon, and its slightly lower profile and fan cooled but the Elcon is PFC and waterproof. The Kingpan is a better fit, dimension wise, and is ging to be in an area protected from water.

Who has had experience with these Kingpan chargers (larger models) - I've seen the teardown on ES, but was wondering if anyone has used them on a larger EV where the charge times are longer, and where the charger is carried on the vehicle.

Also - If anyone has any other charger suggestions (or knows an Australian retailer who is price competitive or close) or has ne for sale secnd-hand - let me know.

antiscab

Cheap 144V chargers

Post by antiscab » Sun, 25 Aug 2013, 03:15

I have used the Elcon's on my vectrix for ages

I have a 60Ah battery, so a full charge after a long ride is 5 hours.
my charger is exposed, so the waterproofing is real (I ride rain hail or snow)

I haven't used kingpan personally, but I do have a few dead ones in my shed - never did get around to working out why they died.

I also have a dead elcon 2000W in my shed. I narrowed that failure down to the powersupply running the logic side of the buck stage putting 55v onto a 12v line, which basically fried everything. The PFC front end still works though :D

Matt
Matt
2011 Blade Electron mk6
2007 vectrix - 145'000km
1998 Prius - needs batt
1999 Prius - needs batt

Vectrix150V
Groupie

Cheap 144V chargers

Post by Vectrix150V » Fri, 30 Aug 2013, 18:27

Ouch. That sounds nasty.

Are they microcontroller based?

I'd love to have a good look at the insides of these, reverse engineering the design would be interesting.

I would probably say that being Chinese made the labels on the IC's would have been sanded off. Are you interested in selling the dead one?

antiscab

Cheap 144V chargers

Post by antiscab » Sat, 31 Aug 2013, 05:24

The Elcon/TC Chargers are micro based - they can even be ordered with CAN connectivity (though it does have some limitations)

The insides are potted, and the parts are all SMD

Well made IMO, but not serviceable in the slightest

The in quantity (of 10 or more units per order) price was US$300 for the 1.5kw ones when I priced them up 18 months ago...
Shipping by sea mail is fairly cheap in those quantities as well

I had been toying with the idea of using the PFC front end for something, since that still works and puts out 390vdc. Haven't really had an application for it come up though.

The PFC front end isn't smart - its driven by a generic PFC driver chip, so functions quite independently to the rest of the charger (which is why it survived)

I'm happy to part with the dead 2000W elcon. would $40 + shipping (~$25) be reasonable?

btw - I'm buying a few Elcon's at the moment for a couple of Vectrix conversions - with charge voltage set for 42 cells (153v). let me know if you are interested in one

here's one installation in Adelaide:
Vectrix Elcon install

Matt
Matt
2011 Blade Electron mk6
2007 vectrix - 145'000km
1998 Prius - needs batt
1999 Prius - needs batt

Vectrix150V
Groupie

Cheap 144V chargers

Post by Vectrix150V » Wed, 11 Sep 2013, 17:37

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - what voltage is the 2Kw elcon?

I'd love one of the 1.5Kw 153V ones, but they wont fit where I have some room (only the Kingpan charger will - sigh!