EV Charging Space Etiquette

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
eevblog
Groupie

EV Charging Space Etiquette

Post by eevblog »

My first attempt to charge at a local hotel ended up with me leaving because the spot was taken by either a clueless or a dickhead ICE owner :evil:

How often do others find dedicated charge station spots taken by non EV's?
Attachments
ev.jpg
ev.jpg (70.36 KiB) Viewed 852 times
brunohill
Groupie

Re: EV Charging Space Etiquette

Post by brunohill »

I recon you should be allowed to park in front of them and use an extension.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I very, very rarely use public chargers. But on the rare occasion I do, it's probably because I need to. Today I was plugged in at the Subiaco Home Base for Sustainable House Day for a good 4 hours, but I did move the car once it hit 80%. It's not nice to be ICE'd, but politeness helps if you do get the chance to interact with the offenders.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

brunohill wrote: Sun, 20 Sep 2020, 21:31 I recon you should be allowed to park in front of them and use an extension.
We thought about that!
My lead would have only had reach to block in both cars though.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

Maybe it's worth keeping some cards in the glovebox you can leave on windscreens that explains to them?
Something along the lines of "Hey, we'd appreciate if you don't park in designated EV spots, these are for electric vehicles only that need to get charge. It's like parking in front of a petrol pump and leaving for a hour, only that EV chargers are more rare. Thanks".
Maybe the AEVA can come up with an official card members can print out and keep in the glove box?
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

We did have plans for some doorknob hangers but there was a guy in the USA who made them and copyrighted the concept... not to say we can't do cards though.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 21 Sep 2020, 08:05We did have plans for some doorknob hangers but there was a guy in the USA who made them and copyrighted the concept... not to say we can't do cards though.
You cannot copyright a "concept", that's a Trademark. And such a concept would be essentially un-trademarkable.
There is absolutely nothing stopping you doing a note or card that can be put under the wiper.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I forget the exact details, but we wanted to honour the creators efforts and get ones made for Australia. They obfuscated for a while and eventually we lost interest.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 21 Sep 2020, 10:13I forget the exact details, but we wanted to honour the creators efforts and get ones made for Australia. They obfuscated for a while and eventually we lost interest.
Meh, just make your own. Just a few sentences with the AEVA logo in say a 4 per A4 sheet format, cut them up and keep in the glove box. Have it on the site so others can download and print their own.
lobster
Groupie

Post by lobster »

Just need a big bucket of wallpaper paste and a 100mm brush.

Regards, Bill Posters :D
Last edited by lobster on Mon, 28 Sep 2020, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Unfortunately in the country you’ll see large SUVs that will park at pub recharging bays, such as the Tesla Supercharger at Ovens,
on the far side of the large car park of the small hotel.
EVs threaten their manliness apparently.
bladecar

Post by bladecar »

I haven't charged the imiev at a public place. I think there is nothing you can do about it that would be useful. I watch people park in loading zones, wheel-chair zones near eateries. Some of them are old enough and doddery enough to use a wheel chair without actually having one.

Those who unwittingly park in a charge spot probably won't be back and those that intentionally do would probably intentionally park anywhere else as well.

I'd never lock in an ice vehicle to charge a car if it were possible. A bit like Judge Judy would say, you could have simply found somewhere else (and then "this" wouldn't have happened :) )
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

I returned triumphant!
Attachments
Eigmi_iVgAopMMZ.jpg
Eigmi_iVgAopMMZ.jpg (420.46 KiB) Viewed 757 times
doug
Groupie

Post by doug »

Regarding Charge space etiquette, I wish people would leave a card on their dash with name & phone #. It would be nice knowing how long you may have to wait (particularly in the single car NRMA stations in outer/rural areas).

regards, Doug
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

doug wrote: Fri, 25 Sep 2020, 11:14 Regarding Charge space etiquette, I wish people would leave a card on their dash with name & phone #. It would be nice knowing how long you may have to wait (particularly in the single car NRMA stations in outer/rural areas).

regards, Doug
If only people were trustworthy enough to make that I good idea Doug.
City folk are different.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

doug wrote: Fri, 25 Sep 2020, 11:14 Regarding Charge space etiquette, I wish people would leave a card on their dash with name & phone #. It would be nice knowing how long you may have to wait (particularly in the single car NRMA stations in outer/rural areas).
Checking in on Plugshare.com is a ready-made way of doing this. You can nominate how long you'll be, and people can contact you through the app, which means you don't have to have your name and phone number our there.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

This is another option that I've seen around recently: https://www.needtocharge.com/

Basically you sign up and put a little sign (size of a rego window sticker) on your dash. People can contact you via the app or website by entering your rego. It keeps your email/phone number obscured.

The benefit is you don't need to check in to a charger every time. A lot of us do, but there are many who don't - either because they forget, or other reasons. I know someone who doesn't because they have a predictable routine and they don't want people to know their car is left unattended at the same place every week, for example. Or (not in Tas) the station they visit is busy and always has a steady stream of vehicles moving through it. This is a one time thing - install the app, put the sign on your dash, and that's it.

The downside is that not everyone will have this app, but that applies to Plugshare as well. However I think this solution scales better as EV takeup increases.

When you sign up they provide you with a PDF with the dashboard sign (including a QR code specific to your car), as well as some notes you can leave under people's windscreen wipers, so that's a good way to get the message out.

Sample sign here. Note, don't print this exact sign out and use it, because anyone who scans the code will be sending messages sent to me! :D

(note: I think a "tax disc holder" is an American thing.)
Last edited by Chuq on Sat, 26 Sep 2020, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

Chuq wrote: Sat, 26 Sep 2020, 09:38 This is another option that I've seen around recently: https://www.needtocharge.com/
Ah, it even works if you're not signed up!
I just sent you a message without having an account myself. Sorry, but you knew it would happen...
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

4Springs wrote: Sat, 26 Sep 2020, 13:28 I just sent you a message without having an account myself. Sorry, but you knew it would happen...
I just came here to say, who sent this? :P

I had a red "1" on my app icon (suggesting a notification), but it didn't pop up a notification on my lock screen as I expect it would. More testing needed!
brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

They have "Tax Discs" like that and "Tax Disc holders" in Ireland, instead of rego stickers. In fact that is where I saw my first Nissan LEAF and the only other one I have ever seen except for the one I own.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

They used to use round rego labels like that on boats and trailers here in WA.
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

So in the absence of a suitable circular tag holder, I made a temporary makeshift version:

Sit it up while at a fast charger for 25 minutes yesterday. No-one needed the spot, but then they may not have checked the dash. Clearly visible though.

What do people think? Viable alternative to checking in on Plugshare all the time?