Vehicle servicing by dealer, or find another option?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
KlinkPC
Noobie

Vehicle servicing by dealer, or find another option?

Post by KlinkPC »

Hi to everyone, I'm in Perth and have a MG ZS EV on order arriving some time in the next few months. The question is do I get it serviced by the dealer or do I go looking for an alternative as I live in Joondalup about 35km. North of the dealer?
antiscab

Re: Vehicle servicing by dealer, or find another option?

Post by antiscab »

I would be looking up exactly what they do in a service. on an EV it's mostly inspection items, which just means they whack it on a hoist and have a look.

by inspection items, it's usually basic car stuff, nothing actually EV related
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

Hi Matthew, thanks for the reply. I might see if Autospark in Joondalup could do vehicle servicing.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

They should, all the Autosparks do servicing now.
Though admittedly they (joondalup/head office) are not as proactive about EVs as I want... (I work for Autospark Rockingham)
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

That's good to know Brendon - out of curiosity, have you had to do the full brake oil change on a Zoe yet?

I keep hearing stories of how one of the segments requires the HV pack service disconnect to be pulled (no idea why that would be the case)
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

No I haven't but 2 reasons for pulling the disconnect spring to mind.

1. Stop the regen braking somehow interfering with the bleeding process (although you a lot of the time use a scan tool to bleed brakes nowadays and one would think the car would know what you are doing and just lock out whatever it needs to and bleed them without issue)

2. Most factory manuals say to yank the plug no matter what you are doing, I guess it's a way of covering the manufacturers arses (guarantee it won't go to ready and run someone over or something)

And 2b.
Pulling the plug stops the car being driven before the jobs done, bit like taking the keys out of the ignition when working on other cars.
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

Hi Brendan,
I spoke to Joondalup Autospark but they only seemed to be interested if it concerned an electrical problem, rather than regular vehicle servicing. It's a pity because they are good guys up there.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

As I said, they aren't as keen about EVs up there (and most of the Autosparks) my guess is they put it in the too hard basket.
Which is disappointing to say the least
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

KlinkPC wrote: Wed, 26 Aug 2020, 12:07 Hi to everyone, I'm in Perth and have a MG ZS EV on order arriving some time in the next few months. The question is do I get it serviced by the dealer or do I go looking for an alternative as I live in Joondalup about 35km. North of the dealer?
I'm always a fan of the local mechanic. We don't quite have Right to Repair legislation in Australia, but some places do, so generally the info is available such that anyone can service a vehicle. This will be different for different vehicles, and will be up to the local mechanic to do their research to see if they would like to take your vehicle on. I'd be ringing around to find someone who's willing to take on your vehicle. Some won't want a bar of it, some will be fascinated and will get enthusiastic. Hopefully you can find one of the latter!
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I bitched at work today about Joondalup giving you the cold shoulder and was informed that most Autosparks are doing servicing but not all, as some have been too lazy to implement it. It was nice to see our head office leading by example and being one of the lazy ones...
KlinkPC
Noobie

Post by KlinkPC »

Thanks Brendan,
it's nice to know that something might go that way in the future.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

FWIW, I've had some disappointing experiences with dealer servicing/repairs of our Outlander PHEV (the most recent saga here). They seem to have little expertise in the EV elements of these vehicles and little interest in acquiring that expertise.

I have had one very good experience with Daniel at evShop in Balcatta which I believe wouldn't be too far from you. I certainly plan to go to him with any future EV-related issues in our Outlander as he has far more interest and experience with EVs than the local Mitsubishi dealer has shown.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Apr 2020
Total Petrol: 720.1L
ODO: 61386
Av Consumption: 1.17 L/100km
lobster
Groupie

Post by lobster »

KlinkPC, your new MG ZS EV has 7 years or 160,000kms warranty & roadside assist. The MG website has a page on Servicing, do they provide fixed price servicing for MG cars?

With a warranty of 7 years surely you would want to have a good service history with MG, if you happened to have a major warranty fault in your 6th year?

https://mgmotor.com.au/models/mg-zsev/
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Anyone who is qualified and follows the logbook servicing schedule can do it for you without voiding any warranties and if any dealer says otherwise or tries to knock back a claim because of outside servicing are breaking the law.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

brendon_m wrote: Fri, 28 Aug 2020, 18:10 Anyone who is qualified and follows the logbook servicing schedule can do it for you without voiding any warranties and if any dealer says otherwise or tries to knock back a claim because of outside servicing are breaking the law.
Yes, and I believe that your State Consumer Affairs organisation will be very keen to know about any dealer claims to the contrary.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Apr 2020
Total Petrol: 720.1L
ODO: 61386
Av Consumption: 1.17 L/100km