EVs - a disruptive era

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Nagaman
Groupie

EVs - a disruptive era

Post by Nagaman »

I can’t see any motor racing surviving in it’s ICE format for much longer.
Fiat, owner of Ferrari, has been forced into partnership with PSA and Aston Martin (Red Bull) are struggling financially also.
The days of easy profits from dirty tailpipes is coming to an end......and thus the funding pipeline too.
Chase Carey is the chief of F1 and his idea is to make the sport popular with Americans and, I suspect, in a cheaper more generic formula.
I’d like to think it will outlast me but I fear that once the last ICE R&D dollar has been allocated a line will be drawn under F1 development and the world’s most expensive sport will be over .
Formulate e is the future and I guess that’s not such a bad thing.
brendon_m

Re: EVs - a disruptive era

Post by brendon_m »

I've watched some formula E and I've found it much more interesting than F1, it seems more 'real' to me. Even with the Mario kart style power ups :).
However I don't really watch any sports, motor racing or otherwise so I'm not the best judge.
Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

brendon_m wrote: Fri, 10 Jul 2020, 22:20 I've watched some formula E and I've found it much more interesting than F1, it seems more 'real' to me. Even with the Mario kart style power ups :).
However I don't really watch any sports, motor racing or otherwise so I'm not the best judge.
For many it’s as much about the noise as the visual and that takes energy also.
HuffnPuff
Groupie

Post by HuffnPuff »

We’ve learned to associate noise with speed and power. Just going to have to recalibrate ourselves to battery electric!
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Having raced an electric superbike in a petrol bike series, I know first hand how difficult it can be.
But I always strain to mention that the racers loved it. The spectators (all four of them) loved it. We loved it.

You know who didn't like it? The promoter of the series. He just didn't 'get' it. And yet, it was him who had the power to turn it into something amazing. We were clearly no threat to the ICE bike series, but he wouldn't even risk a second of exposure just in case. And when we finally said we'd only come to the next round if we're put in with a group of gas bikes, they reluctantly agreed, and we found ourselves the main subject in that class. Not least cause we were in holeshot from the rear of the grid, and pulling wheelies down the main straight - things the promoter had refused to believe until we were on national TV doing it.

After this, we were relegated to our old morning and afternoon class when nobody was paying attention. So we stopped attending after 7 years of persevering.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

There's a video of a F1 car vs a formula E. I much prefer the whine of the electric motor and I showed it to my wife and I quote "the petrol is really noisy, it's like an annoying buzzy fly".
At the end of the video the drivers do a burnout and the formula E does it to much greater effect, not to mention when the F1 car is done they rush out with fire extinguishers to cool it off.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Scotty T
Groupie

Post by Scotty T »

Lol the e-car was so effortless, the ICE sounded like it was crying for help, and then it needed some after a couple of lousy donuts.