IONIQ Electric or LEAF?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
eevblog
Groupie

IONIQ Electric or LEAF?

Post by eevblog »

Hi
Trying to weight up the IONIQ Electric vs the (40kW) LEAF, new or 2nd hand, doesn't really matter, but price always matters of course. Not looking to pay $50k, something well under that.

So any pros and cons vs the two in all aspects would be appreciated.
Also pros/cons of new vs "slight used" 2018/2019 models.
There also seem to be lots of imported LEAF's, would these be covered under the local factory warranty? I would presume not?

FYI, it is for fairly limited local use, with the occasional 220km+ round trip. For a nominal 270km capable range vehicle I'd likely only have to charge it once a week, or even once a fortnight possibly.

Also, how is the market for these cars at present? Do they sell quick, or are they desperate to get rid of them?

Thanks.
jonescg

Re: IONIQ Electric or LEAF?

Post by jonescg »

I think the 28 kWh Ioniq and the 40 kWh Leaf are comparable cars. About the same range despite the smaller battery, all comes down to efficiency.
If buying used is the goal, then you can expect to pay between $40k and $50k for either vehcile.

If it was a choice between a new 2020 Leaf and a new 2020 Ioniq, the Ioniq wins hands down. Longer range despite the smaller battery, and all the technology.
Only reason you would want the Leaf might be due to Vehicle to Grid opportunities and you happen to live in a cool climate.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

Thanks.
Suburban Sydney, so not exactly a cool climate.
So the new LEAF can be used as grid storage? (we do have solar) Not sure how practical that would be though. I likely wouldn't use that as a buying decision.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

It involves a lot more expense - special inverters and charging stations etc. But the real benefit to the Ioniq over the Leaf is efficiency (less time spent charging). The battery also has a functional thermal management system, so it can keep it cool on really hot days. The Ioniq can charge fast right the way up to 90%, whereas the Leaf would taper much sooner.
Assuming we're talking about the 28 kWh Ioniq. The 38 kWh Ioniq has a more comprehensive thermal management system and obviously longer range, but costs more and actually charges slower from a rapid charger.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

jonescg wrote: Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 12:28 It involves a lot more expense - special inverters and charging stations etc. But the real benefit to the Ioniq over the Leaf is efficiency (less time spent charging). The battery also has a functional thermal management system, so it can keep it cool on really hot days. The Ioniq can charge fast right the way up to 90%, whereas the Leaf would taper much sooner.
Assuming we're talking about the 28 kWh Ioniq. The 38 kWh Ioniq has a more comprehensive thermal management system and obviously longer range, but costs more and actually charges slower from a rapid charger.
So what does that mean in terms of public charging station availability vs the LEAF?
I anticipate only rarely using public charging stations though, as most trips will be around Sydney from home.
Both can obviously charge from a normal 240V/10A outlet at a pinch.

Also, the Ioniq looks to have a much larger cargo space?

Need to test drive both of course, but haven't done so yet.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

It won't make any difference to charging at a public charge point - just rock up and plug in. Although in the next 5 years it might get harder to find a ChaDemo plug.
The V2G stuff will get deployed in homes, so you get home with a charged car as you spent 8 hours soaking up sunshine at work. Then plug into the box on the wall which takes power from the battery of the car and supplies the house. It will probably plug into the Chademo port.

I think the Ioniq is quite spacious, but the Leaf is actually a fairly large car for its class. Longer than the Kona EV I think?

Definitely take both for a drive, see which one you prefer, then go on the hunt for one at the right price.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

Thanks.
What about the pros and cons of a genuine aussie model vs an import for the LEAF?
Haven't seen any Ioniq imports.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

MG ZS EV not suitable ? $46,990 drive away.
Last edited by g4qber on Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 51
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

You won't see import Ioniqs as they are already for sale by dealerships here in Australia. The import Leafs will be 2018 and early 2019 models, which weren't for sale in Australia until very recently, so there's a few of them on the approved import list. I think there are also exceptions for EVs through the SEV scheme, but it involves more hoops.

So, they only come with a 3 year warranty as stipulated by Consumer Affairs, and no factory warranties apply. Compared to a dealership bought vehicle which comes with an 8 year warranty and full support from the manufacturer. Nissan Australia won't go near imports with a 3 m pole - no interest, no support, no nothing.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

g4qber wrote: Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 19:30MG ZS EV not suitable ? $46,990 drive away.
Had no idea about that! Thanks, will check it out.
Does anyone have one?
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

jonescg wrote: Wed, 24 Jun 2020, 19:31 You won't see import Ioniqs as they are already for sale by dealerships here in Australia. The import Leafs will be 2018 and early 2019 models, which weren't for sale in Australia until very recently, so there's a few of them on the approved import list. I think there are also exceptions for EVs through the SEV scheme, but it involves more hoops.

So, they only come with a 3 year warranty as stipulated by Consumer Affairs, and no factory warranties apply. Compared to a dealership bought vehicle which comes with an 8 year warranty and full support from the manufacturer. Nissan Australia won't go near imports with a 3 m pole - no interest, no support, no nothing.
Thanks for that confirmation. Unless it was seriously cheap, I think I'd avoid that.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

The MG ZS EV is made in China? Urgh...
https://www.caradvice.com.au/805024/2020-mg-zs-ev/
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I can't vouch for the mg in particular but a lot of China made vehicles have come along in leaps and bounds and you'll probably find the build quality of the mg is not as far off the leaf/Ioniq as you'd might expect. Personally of the 3 I'd go for the Ioniq but definitely take all 3 for a spin.
eevblog
Groupie

Post by eevblog »

brendon_m wrote: Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 03:09I can't vouch for the mg in particular but a lot of China made vehicles have come along in leaps and bounds and you'll probably find the build quality of the mg is not as far off the leaf/Ioniq as you'd might expect. Personally of the 3 I'd go for the Ioniq but definitely take all 3 for a spin.
I'm sure the quality is ok, but I just don't think I could bring myself to drive a Chinese made car for various reasons. So I think I'll stick with the LEAF and Ioniq.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Yes, the money you pay for an MG would buy quite a lot of barley; only now from the USA rather than from Australia as the Chinese Government flexes its economic muscle to try and influence Australian domestic politics!!! In my job, I have heard personally from WA farming families directly and hugely affected by this sudden, aggressive behaviour by the Chinese government.

I think a lot of Australians are looking at Chinese made goods with a different perspective these days. Our government can't protect Australian goods/resources by increasing tariffs etc without starting a Trade War that we would lose because we're so small.

So it is up to we individual Australians to protect our own by being very careful what we buy from overseas. And gritting our teeth and paying a bit more for Australian made products when they're available. For years we've just been buying from overseas because it's cheaper. Now the inevitable result of that behaviour is starting to bite us in the bum. These days it's very hard to avoid Chinese-made goods, but I am examining very carefully everything I buy and buying Australian-made/sourced wherever I can.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Apr 2020
Total Petrol: 720.1L
ODO: 61386
Av Consumption: 1.17 L/100km