EVs with towing capacity?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
LouB
Groupie

EVs with towing capacity?

Post by LouB » Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 08:08

EVs are of course physically quite capable of towing trailers etc. They generally have ample torque for the task. The question is: are there any that are 'legally' allowed to tow in Australia?

It is clear that some EVs are just not constructed for towing in that they do not possess strong points for attachment of towbars and that the weight of a trailer could dangerously affect braking when going downhill and also cause problems with regen. Nevertheless, some manufacturers seem to have overcome these difficulties. The Tesla Model X being one. Unfortunately it's just too expensive for me. I had hopes that the Kia Niro could be another, but further research revelaled that for it too, towing was out. I hasten to add that I have no need, or intention, of ever towing a caravan or large boat. It's just that I've owned a small (6"x4") box trailer for years and use it to transport ride-on mowers, carry bulky items and take rubbish to the tip.

Towing capacity and ground clearance are the main reasons for holding on to my small ICE SUV.

woody

Re: EVs with towing capacity?

Post by woody » Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 08:18

2012 Leaf can do 600 unbraked; 1000kg braked. Not so big on the ground clearance, I'm afraid.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 09:44

kona can tow too I'm pretty sure
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

LouB
Groupie

Post by LouB » Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 10:37

It would be great if the Kona is indeed allowed to legally tow a small trailer on Australian roads. It could swing my choice in its favour, even though leg and head space for rear passengers felt so claustrophobic when I tried it.

The Kona certainly has all the power needed for towing but I'm not sure that it has been licensed (homologated) for the purpose in Australia.

See:
https://thedriven.io/2019/06/10/towing- ... t-be-done/

and someone in Canada got this official reply from Hyundai Canada:
"The Kona EV is not recommended for towing"

So, maybe it's a risk to take only once the car is out of warranty?