Big Red Car

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
BjBlaster
Groupie

Big Red Car

Post by BjBlaster » Wed, 16 May 2007, 07:25

Hi Guys,

I've started small - and am then going to attempt a conversion to my '94 camry. I have made a electric car for the kids, converted my lawnmower to electric, and am in the process of doing an electric mountain bike. I am very pleased to see others are into this with the passion and knowledge to take on this type of challenge!

Good luck to you all with your projects :)

Bj
Last edited by BjBlaster on Mon, 17 May 2077, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway - bj's shed

Plasticbrain
Noobie

Big Red Car

Post by Plasticbrain » Thu, 17 May 2007, 01:25

G'day Bj,
I'd like to see your lawn mower, but your link appears to be down. I'll try again later.
Cheers,
Shane.
I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for bees.

Plasticbrain
Noobie

Big Red Car

Post by Plasticbrain » Thu, 17 May 2007, 01:30

Ok I found it - nice site!
your link should be http://hanna.homedns.org/projects/projects.htm

Cheers,
S
I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for bees.

BjBlaster
Groupie

Big Red Car

Post by BjBlaster » Thu, 17 May 2007, 03:53

There we go I've updated the links... I'm glad you like it :)

Plasticbrain
Noobie

Big Red Car

Post by Plasticbrain » Fri, 18 May 2007, 19:02

Hi again BJ,
you've inspired me to rip the IC motor off my lawn mower and replace it with electric... I see you have used a 500 watt motor, running at approx 333 watts. Given that the average garden lawn mower might be around 2.2kW (3 horsepower), I'm interested to know if 0.333kW is really enough for adequate performance? Are you still using your electric mower and how does it compare to a petrol one. Could it use a little more grunt under wet conditions, etc??
Cheers,
Shane.

BjBlaster
Groupie

Big Red Car

Post by BjBlaster » Fri, 18 May 2007, 20:35

All of my initial testing was done with a 250-300W 24V dc motor as it was raining and it was fine. The reason I went up to the 500W motor was because it had front mounting bolt holes and offered that little bit extra go. However I haven't had any trouble with it mowing the thick wet stuff - anymore than a normal petrol motor. Seems to be just the same. I can mow the front and back lawns on one charge :)
Last edited by BjBlaster on Tue, 18 May 2077, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Rob M
Groupie

Big Red Car

Post by Rob M » Tue, 22 May 2007, 19:15

Hi Guys
I have converted a couple of barrel mowers to electric and also use 350 watt 24 volt pm motors. There is plenty of power for heavy wet grass. It must be remmbered that the way a petrol motor is rated is quite different from the way an electric motor is rated.
An electric motor is rated at say 350 watt because that is the comfortable continuous output of the motor without it overheating and burning out through insulation failure. It is capable of greater output for short periods or with exta cooling.
An internal combustion engine is rated at its maximum power output which is rarely used. For example your lawnmower motor might be rated at 2.5 HP but only putting out about .5 HP when mowing the lawn. This is partly because you are not running it at full revs and partly because the throttle is not fully open.
Remember that power is the product of torque and RPM so the petrol motor is rated at the maximum of torque times RPM.
Cheers