RETROFIT SOUND GENERATOR FOR EV?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
whimpurinter

Re: RETROFIT SOUND GENERATOR FOR EV?

Post by whimpurinter »

Listen dear sir (public friendly term adjusted), I drive a Prius too. If you're driving at 40 kph, your motor is more-likely running.
Stop the bu*l sh8t and let an ev be just another car on the road.
Otherwise, sound generators for pedestrians, push bike riders, ice cars sitting at lights with motors off (in case a "pedestrian" walks into it).
Stand at the side of the road and note the sound level of vehicles coming toward you.

In an effort to improve a future ev world, start arguing for responsible mining for battery materials (China in Tibet) (and all other mining, for that matter) and for enforced recycling (with big penalties - Note: Penalty should exceed Profit) of batteries, electronic equipment (not in African slave farms).

Your big encounter with the pedestrian does depend on the general noise level, and the noise types in that environment. One more car among many is immaterial. One less car among many is immaterial.

Let's talk about incentives and positives with ev s instead of trying to attach situations applicable to everything else to these fabulous (comparatively) cars.''

I hope a helicopter never falls on you or you'll want roll bars across the roof saying "beware, batteries below".

Try driving your car and being responsible. Please don't tar everyone with your brush.

Finally, what volume do you want your generator to run at? and do you want to run the risk of running someone down or rear-ending a vehicle while you're looking for the switch. And should you switch it on now, or leave it on? If you leave it on, it will be easy to find in the parking lot.

Terry, I desire that you live close to a freeway. You will be surrounded with SAFETY.

Edit: Took a couple of commas out.
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

At 40kph an electric car doesn't make any less noise than an ICE, unless accelerating. You could put flashing lights and sirens on every car and it might reduce the incidence of people stepping in front of cars, but there are other factors to consider.

I actually got fined last week because I got the switch position wrong leaving a minesite where they do have these crazy protocols - all vehicles must have a flashing light - and drove on the public roads where it was illegal for me to have the flashing light on, even if it might have helped pedestrians see me.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I think a sound generator is overkill and not going to make an actual difference. A way to alert someone that is not as harsh as the horn is a good idea not just for EVs but all vehicles.
A bell is probably the best way as it's not a sound people hear as much nowadays so it'll attract attention better. One like in the link jonescg posted or like this https://youtu.be/lvcYh55TptM (skip to 2 min to cut the babbling)
Scotty T
Groupie

Post by Scotty T »

T1 Terry wrote: Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 11:50 Why risk such things going badly when a simple noise generator would alert those on foot there was a vehicle approaching?
Mike beat me to it, but my ICE Golf cruising at 40km/h would be as quiet as your Prius, sometimes I can't tell if the engine is running from inside the car.

We could take a leaf out of Bali's book where I was recently, use of the horn (a sound generator) is practical, and nobody finds it offensive, and every vehicle already has one! Oh yeah and everyone on the roads looks out for each other, which is the best way to avoid accidents.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

brendon_m wrote: Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 18:02 I think a sound generator is overkill and not going to make an actual difference. A way to alert someone that is not as harsh as the horn is a good idea not just for EVs but all vehicles.
A bell is probably the best way as it's not a sound people hear as much nowadays so it'll attract attention better. One like in the link jonescg posted or like this https://youtu.be/lvcYh55TptM (skip to 2 min to cut the babbling)
I can just see it, all the kids running out thinking it's the ice-cream van driver ringing a bell to alert all in the area :lol:
Bladecar, my orange Prius is in standard Prius trim so the engine is running at 40km/h. My new to me silver Prius is a PHEV and driven from home to work and back in electric only mode. It is possible the engine is spinning at 40km/h, but in this case it didn't make much noise so it wasn't heard where the other Prius was heard, although the 720,000km on the clock could be a contributing factor there :lol:

I'm not suggesting everyone with an EV has to add a sound generator so I'm not trying to start a movement that makes sound generators mandatory in all EV's or hybrids, I just want to install one in my vehicle as I fell it would be an added safety device, just in case I'm not quick enough to avoid the next person who steps in front on me.
As for the other bits thrown into the discussion:
I lived for a number of yrs where my house block backed onto a major freeway, no idea how that made life there safer than it is where I live now though? :? As far as the noise generator, why wouldn't it turn off when the vehicle was turned off? :roll: Some of these arguments are getting rather desperate in nature and really starting to scrap the bottom of the barrel for new material ;)

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Well good. Just use the links others have provided and fit one :)

My "freeway" suggestion is only so you can be immersed in conventional vehicle noise and be more at home with the safety of it all.

Or, you could try a really truly EV and have NO SOUND at all. Ah, pure bliss. I have wondered what the effect my imiev had on the dealer workers when they drove it around the yard. I'm thinking they would be astonished, being completely unused to the amazing property of a largely silent mode of transport.

I hope you continue to enjoy your heavy EV unless you go beyond its range, in which case I hope you enjoy your heavy electically-assisted-reduced-fuel-consumption vehicle that's almost as good as an Elantra when driven on the highway. I've had this Prius for maybe 7 years and all it is is a very good conventional car because its fuel consumption no longer stands out as exceptional and its electric range is abysmal. Toyota do not want to succeed and people who drive them want to stuff around with limitations which tarnish the aims of the EV concept which is quiet non-polluting transport. But I know I waste my time. I remember some of your previous posts on other subjects.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

bladecar wrote: Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 12:40 Well good. Just use the links others have provided and fit one :)

My "freeway" suggestion is only so you can be immersed in conventional vehicle noise and be more at home with the safety of it all.

Or, you could try a really truly EV and have NO SOUND at all. Ah, pure bliss. I have wondered what the effect my imiev had on the dealer workers when they drove it around the yard. I'm thinking they would be astonished, being completely unused to the amazing property of a largely silent mode of transport.

I hope you continue to enjoy your heavy EV unless you go beyond its range, in which case I hope you enjoy your heavy electically-assisted-reduced-fuel-consumption vehicle that's almost as good as an Elantra when driven on the highway. I've had this Prius for maybe 7 years and all it is is a very good conventional car because its fuel consumption no longer stands out as exceptional and its electric range is abysmal. Toyota do not want to succeed and people who drive them want to stuff around with limitations which tarnish the aims of the EV concept which is quiet non-polluting transport. But I know I waste my time. I remember some of your previous posts on other subjects.
Sadly, until the range of the average EV that is within my price range can get me to Adelaide and back including a bit of travelling around in the city and the big climb back up the hill, it will have to be a hybrid machine. Until there is a real breakthrough in battery weight, all EV's will be heavy if they are going to have more than 100km range, a fact of life at the moment.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
whimpurinter

Post by whimpurinter »

Well good. Just use the links others have provided and fit one.

I wish you well with your aim of getting an EV.

I hope you pay attention when driving .

Please don't assume that I share your fears (or apparent fears).

Some messages here really don't ring true and some could have been taken from the pages of "the austlalian".
goingbush
Groupie

Post by goingbush »

I used a chip from a R/C truck, and hooked it up to a marine speaker.

https://youtu.be/eVh6W_PqkJo

I should add , I havent actually used it the sound thing . I prefer the silence , Its just a novelty thus far.
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

That would sound great coming out of my leaf'.
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

" The United Nations recently introduced a regulation requiring electric vehicles to install an Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System; the Australian Government is considering the case for a similar requirement. "

Some kind of warning will be required folks . this issue is not going away.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/201 ... s/10606972
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Sounds just like our current Government, sitting on their hands when it comes to legislating useful car stuff that would make a big difference to the planet like emission and fuel consumption standards, but let's hit these fledgling EV things with everything we've got!
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I like to think it will go away once people realise it is pointless, but suspect it won't.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hopefully it will all be a passing phase, made redundant by driverless vehicles in the next decade or two!
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
  • 2022 Tesla M3 MIC LR
  • 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
    Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Jul 2022
    Total Petrol: 889.8L
    ODO: 88417
    Av Consumption: 1.01 L/100km
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I would think mandatory automatic braking as most cars are coming out with now would be the way to go anyway.
Then you aren't relying on someone to hear you. Even an ice car on a noisy street is basically silent
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

My wife had a woman complain today "that she almost got run over by our Nissan leaf, because she didn't hear it reversing out". I guess the beeping reverse indicator is a dead give away that it must be a electric car. It makes more noise in reverse than my 30 year old ICE ute.
Johny

Post by Johny »

I am so tired of people walking behind a reversing car. It doesn't matter what I'm driving they insist on ignoring the reversing lights. Same with opening drivers doors with oncoming traffic. Just stupid!
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Maybe lining it up so they trip over the tow bar would soon wakes them up :lol: When they start giving you a mouthful because you start checking the tow bar for damage, you can point out that they ran into you, you didn't run into them.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Randall679
Groupie

Post by Randall679 »

Well, I've decided I probably don't need it. My 2008 Blade Electron has a nice healthy whine as it cruises along ... mostly from the auxiliary motor that drives the power steering ... and the regenerative braking make a noise. But this has been an interesting discussion.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Please view this ad:

Electric Vehicle Electronic Engine Sound System,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-br ... pp_android

Price: $100 Negotiable

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/7NzhP
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

For reversing sound jaycar reverse LED with beeper

https://www.jaycar.com.au/globe-led-ba1 ... v/p/ZD0519
2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

That won't fit an i-MiEV - completely different shaped globe.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

2021 Model 3 PW MIC RWD FSD - Mon 28 Jun ‘21 -
k kms 17x
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRERWD
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

I bought something similar from Jaycar and attempted to install it by connecting to the reverse light wiring, but broke the car completely. I had a bit of a panic but eventually worked out I had just blown the fuse for the reversing lights, and replacing that had everything working again. After that I decided I didn't really need a reverse beeper that badly. A better solution might be to work out where the internal beeper is and move it outside.

I'm not sure if there is an actual problem with connecting to the reverse light, or I just made a mistake or did something stupid.
poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock »

In my Suzuki carry I fitted a button siren tone for use in carparks. It annoyed the heck out of me but I saw pedestrians look at the van and still continue on their way. As drivers, we still have a duty of care, even to those belonging to the Order of the Perpetually Mesmerised by Technology. As previously mentioned luxury vehicles also needing a warning device.Perhaps the new Tesla bodily function device would be appropriate.:-)