Aust. Auto Aftermarket article on Batteries and EV's

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Simone
Groupie

Aust. Auto Aftermarket article on Batteries and EV's

Post by Simone »

Treasurer of the Brisbane AEVA. Meetings are the 3rd Wednesday of the month at the Albion Peace Centre!
Bryce

Re: Aust. Auto Aftermarket article on Batteries and EV's

Post by Bryce »

Old news. I wrote about the potential for Chinese dominance of the EV future due to their single minded intent to promote the industry and the size of their market several years ago in ReNew!
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric, 2010 iMiEV
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The fact CATL are now the biggest EV battery producer in the world must mean there will be a lot of their batteries hitting the wrecked vehicle market soon, so maybe another source of cheaper battery packs for DIY EV builds and maybe the Chinese EV's will start to appear in Australia as the half cut etc vehicle wrecker/importer warehouses providing a cheap source of EV parts. Tesla seem to have all their technology locked down where if you try to put the Tesla running gear etc into another body they shut down the computer .... not sure if that is fact or just online talk. Bring it on, I don't care where the future EV's are built, I'd love it to be Australia but that is highly unlikely so if the Chinese can get their act together to get the vehicle ADR compliant and all the other hoops that need to be jumped through to sell cars in Australia then maybe, and just maybe but not for certain, the price of EV ownership will come down

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

An issue I'd love to see resolved is the ability to hack the onboard computer / firmware to allow fitment of bigger battery packs. There are far greater capacity batteries available than those installed by Mitsubishi and Nissan, but as far as I'm aware, nobody has managed to make use of the later batteries. It would be infinitely more cost-effective to update the battery pack in a factory-built car than to do a conversion and be saddled with the whims of the official muppets obsessed with making things as difficult as humanly possible
Aevzer
Noobie

Post by Aevzer »

I agree. I think nobody has attempted to use the later batteries yet.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Just thinking out loud here looking for input from those that know about this stuff. Would it be possible to link a second battery pack into the output side of the on-board charger? Or is the drive part disabled when an input is sensed on the battery charging circuit? The though was a constant charging while driving reducing the total drain on the OEM battery and an additional top up when either stationary or in regen mode. The same charger could then recharge both battery banks at the same time when plugged into the mains supply.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
brunohill

Post by brunohill »

This guy probably answers your question Terry...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3jaGtkyxvA