DIY Conversions nearly dead ?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 03:27

Jeff, you are probably right about the wrong choice of battery. Supercharge Seamaster calcium expanded 305x230 supposedly 80AH but only weighing 22kg??? A good price but really never performed well. My Sirion had Amptech 60ah which gave
a range of 25k only, but the best from the Seamaster was only 15k. Wrong advice from a salesman to a novice. A new pack looks likely.

Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 21:07

Poprock
There is no "probably" about it. I could write pages on this but, in my opinion, 12V lead acid batteries just don't work in road going EVs. Your experience and those described by by evric are typical of conversions using small cheap 12V batteries. However, properly use flooded golf cart batteries and a very "worthwhile" EV results. I may be biased but my car is a good example. My current battery has 23,500 kms on it and is 3.5 years old.

Having said that, my suggestion would be to use second hand Leaf cells to make a pack for the Suzuki, that could then be transferred to the Sherpa when it is ready. As this is getting off topic, maybe your car should have its own topic for discussion.

Back on topic.
DIY conversions are far from dead. The last three Brisbane branch meetings have each featured recently completed conversions, and there are several more nearing completion. There were at least five conversions at the last meeting.

Second hand EVs may be an attractive alternative but some of these are seven years old and battery replacement may have to be considered in the not too distant future. This puts the owner back into the hands of the car companies or dropping and replacing or opening and repairing the battery. Without the proper knowledge and equipment, this could be a daunting prospect.

Using components fron wrecked cars has also been raised as the future of conversions. Most people undertaking conversions don't have the experience or knowledge to be playing with the high voltages used in production cars.

There has never been a better time to undertake a conversion. There is a far greater range of motors, controllers, chargers, batteries and other components than ever before and at a far lower cost. Help and advice is also more available.

suziauto
Groupie

Post by suziauto » Tue, 18 Apr 2017, 19:50

Hi ,

I run Oz Diy Electric Vehicles , I have never been busier .. Jeff Owen once said "when you can go buy a leaf or Imiev used that'll be the end of conversions" and he was dead wrong.. the arrival of showroom models encouraged more people to look at a conversion. Most of what we do are classic style cars or vehicles that need to be electric for varying reasons.. I found the main reason people get disillusioned is they choose the "cheap "option of AGM or car batteries , and even after I warn them they still do it. I sometimes end up with these projects cheap and onsell the cars with Lithium batteries and they go fine then. I now bring in used nissan leaf cells from new to high mileage ( as well as Chev Volt and tesla used cells ) ant this reduces the cost even more. Others with failed lead acid have also gotten cells from us to upgrade their cars too..

So conversions arn't dead , we are all just busy doing them.. :-)

poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 00:04

Hi Suzi; Could you please list the negatives of AGM. On some websites they are touted as being the best option (excluding lithium and other technologies) and were to be my next choice. Yet others say if lead then use T105's. I am running a 6.2kwh 7x80ah 12v Supercharge Seamaster) pack at the moment. About what cost would the equivalent lithium pack be?

4Springs

Post by 4Springs » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 02:17

poprock wrote: Hi Suzi; Could you please list the negatives of AGM. On some websites they are touted as being the best option (excluding lithium and other technologies) and were to be my next choice. Yet others say if lead then use T105's. I am running a 6.2kwh 7x80ah 12v Supercharge Seamaster) pack at the moment. About what cost would the equivalent lithium pack be?

If you exclude lithium and other technologies then AGM are definitely the best! Image
Or do you mean negatives of AGM v other lead acid batteries?

I ran AGM for a while. Expensive for a lead-acid battery, but still only lasted 18 months. Upgraded to lithium.

poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 04:40

If the only positive to AGM is not having to check electrolyte levels then yes, T105's is the way to go.And if T105's last twice as long as AGM's, then that is worth the effort of the maintenance and ventilation.Costings would need to be analysed. Image

suziauto
Groupie

Post by suziauto » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 15:04

Jeff Owen uses the Trojan golf cart batteries and probably gets the best results through best practice charging and watering, with flooded cells, ventilation is required ofcourse and some maintenance but thats not a lot of work.If you want to run flooded lead acid talk to Jeff as in my opinion he is the best source of information.

AGM suffer from big charge and discharges , they overheat and as they are not flooded the heat buckles the cases and ruins the battery capacity internally .. The other factor is range , the lead acid voltage is an even ramp down as you use the current , the Lithium drop a little then hold good voltage till they are depleted ( i think at 15-20% SOC ) so deliver good power for a lot longer . Also carrying about so much lead doesn't help either.. with lithium the initial purchase price is a bit higher but they outlive the lead batteries many times over , Our winstons have been in over 5 years and still going strong ,our used nissan Leaf cells about 2 years now , a GOOD BMS is essential though.

Now a word of warning, MOST chineese lithiums are good but not all.. stick to the commonly used ones like winston , thundersky , calb , sinopoly or see us for used leaf , holden volt or tesla cells ( when Avail )

Saabman
Noobie

Post by Saabman » Tue, 23 May 2017, 00:21

if it's any help I'm in the very early stages of a conversion but I also have noted the discussion on forums of late has been fairly quiet.

Perhaps more people are working on their conversions than just talking about it   Image