EV Imports

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
TassieM
Noobie

EV Imports

Post by TassieM » Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 02:45

Increasing the number of electric vehicles on the road is a "chicken and egg situation". A significant number of electric vehicles is required before a charging network becomes ecomonically viable yet the existence of a charging network is required before many people would consider purchase of an electric vehicle.
Another reason that people do not purchase electric vehicles is that their initial cost is currently greater than the petrol-powered equivalents. The cost of batteries is expected to decline rapidly into the future. This will soon make electric vehicles cost competitive.
The use of electric vehicles and the construction of extensive charger networks is much more advanced in many countries compared with Australia. This use is so extensive that used electric vehicles are already available, for example, in Japan. Government-imposed restrictions make it impossible to import significant numbers of used electric vehicles into Australia. Given that Australia no longer has an automotive manufacturing industry, and imports most of its petroleum-based vehicle fuel, there is no reason why the government should still impose restrictions on electric vehicle imports. The availability of cheaper, used electric vehicles would give a great boost to EV numbers on the road thus encouraging the development of a charger network.
It would be great if AEVA and its membership could persuade an Australian Government to facilitate the import of used electric vehicles.

offgridQLD

EV Imports

Post by offgridQLD » Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 14:45

Yes it would be great if importing used EV's was a made easier.

I wouldn't mind a importing a i-MiEV CARGO Commercial Van (if they actually ended up making them)? Idea would be to turn it into a (green) mobile coffee van.

Kurt

dgh853
Groupie

EV Imports

Post by dgh853 » Tue, 08 Dec 2015, 01:38

I think there could be a very good market here for 2nd hand Nissan Leafs from Japan. There's plenty of other Japanese imports driving around in Sydney (Silvias, Delicas etc)- what's stopping them being electric?
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2013 Nissan Leaf

Gabz

EV Imports

Post by Gabz » Tue, 08 Dec 2015, 03:04

offgridQLD wrote: Yes it would be great if importing used EV's was a made easier.

I wouldn't mind a importing a i-MiEV CARGO Commercial Van (if they actually ended up making them)? Idea would be to turn it into a (green) mobile coffee van.
Kurt

you sure they look interesting..
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/mini ... index.html
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/

offgridQLD

EV Imports

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 08 Dec 2015, 03:30

Not that thing Image I was thinking the one that's a imiev shape at the front and van at the back.

This one i-MiEV CARGO Commercial Van for a coffee van.Like I mentioned befor perhaps they didn't make it and it was only a concept car.

It has a flat floor in the rear and a square cargo space of 1300 wide x 1200 deep x 1100 high More than enough for a coffee van.

video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD7noXB6vx8

Kurt

Jasmin
Noobie

EV Imports

Post by Jasmin » Mon, 18 Jan 2016, 07:53

I agree. Having a supply of cheaper used EVs would somewhat compensate for the high prices for new ones caused by lack of incentives, as well as the general lack of choice.

As well as the Leaf and I-miev variants, it would be a good way to bring the VW E cars into Australia in RHD - the Golf GTE is already on sale there, and if I recall correctly, there were/are plans to offer the E-up and E-Golf as well.

With the election coming up this year, I hope we might see manifesto commitments to EVs - even something modest like a GST exemption/rebate for EVs and easier imports would be a start, though I think that before we can see significant EV growth we will also need some form of financial assistance and/or direct government intervention in the charging infrastructure. On that note, it's gone very quiet on the QLD electric highway front - any news?

reecho

EV Imports

Post by reecho » Tue, 19 Jan 2016, 01:00

Current liberal government is totally disinterested in changing import restrictions on import cars.

My guess is that the motoring bodies must still be donating heavily to the libs..... Image

galderdi
Groupie

EV Imports

Post by galderdi » Tue, 19 Jan 2016, 22:45

dgh853 wrote: I think there could be a very good market here for 2nd hand Nissan Leafs from Japan. There's plenty of other Japanese imports driving around in Sydney (Silvias, Delicas etc)- what's stopping them being electric?

I agree in concept but the reason those ICE imports are economically viable is because Japan puts sanctions against ICE vehicles as their KMs rise. I would be surprised if the same sanctions apply to EVs.