Hybrid vs EV - Forum thoughts?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
cj7hawk
Noobie

Post by cj7hawk » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 04:47

Hi all,

I was just wondering what the general forum thoughts were on the topic of pure-EV or Hybrid EV ( Series or Parallel Hybrid ) -

Have many people made them, or is the thought to go pure EV and get rid of everything with an engine?

Regards
David

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 05:09

As a conversion / DIY project? Generally it calls for a level of complexity most folks are unwilling to go to. A series hybrid which keeps things topped up as you drive could be viable, but then again, if you have room for an ICE and a fuel tank, you probably have room for more batteries.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 13:55

Go the pure EV. It's a bit like when electricity went into every home. You still have the candles laying around but they only get used when the power is out.

It's the same with a BEV you only use, borrow, hire, a ICE car when you can't do what You want to do in your BEV. Most find that isn't often.

I find I'm only driving my diesel car just enough to keep the cranking battery from going flat (well almost I have started charging it over winter) and fuel from going stale.

I think a lot of the thrill of using a EV is lost when you still have the ICE engine in the car. Like driving a convertible with the roof up.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

evric
Site Admin

Post by evric » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 14:27

David,

I have done both...
In 2008 I began my Holden Barina EV conversion. This is totally EV and have been driving it now for nearly 5 years, without a drop of smelly fuel.

I have now (almost) completed converting our 2008 Toyota Prius to "Plug-in".
Using a "10KW" kit from Plugin Supply in California, and the addition of 76 LiFePO4 40Ah cells the car now averages less than 2.8 litres/100km (was 4.4 litres/100km).
The car now also has an EV only mode, where a switch disables the petrol engine completely. This mode is only for Adelaide metro driving on the flat as the electric drive will not handle hills or high speed - on it's own.
It has only been completed for around a week now and so I haven't yet been able to get the average down even more.

For more info see:
www.evplus.com.au
Last edited by evric on Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au

Johny

Post by Johny » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 15:11

I agree with jonescg re DIY. A hybrid, done properly, is a lot more complicated than a pure EV. The main constraint for DIY is however the weight. It's already difficult to keep the weight in check so leaving the fuel tank, exhaust, ICE and {gearbox} in THEN adding electric components would be prohibitively heavy. If you are even considering that path then perhaps two cars is a better bet - as offgridQLD said.

reecho

Post by reecho » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 19:48

Plenty of Prius around for a relatively cheap plug in conversion. That would be more logical than starting from scratch. Pure EV on the other hand....

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Wed, 03 Jun 2015, 04:49

I still plan to build my hybrid, but it is a heavy vehicle anyway so weight is not an issue and I feel the electric only would not have the range required. The conversion is a 36 ft bus converted to a motorhome, the idea is an undersized ICE assisting the electric drive for the heavy load sections such as hill climbing and off the mark loads that I feel would be beyond the capability of either to achieve on their own long term. The plan is a big solar array, around 3kW to charge the pack where time permits, the ICE/electric in regen mode where faster recharging is required and maybe the odd top up if we camp over in a caravan park, but that would be only if we had no other choice but to stay there, we do not particularly enjoy staying in caravan parks. The battery pack will do double duty as the house power supply as the fit out will be all electric.
I also have a Prius, bought it cheap, an ex Brisbane taxi with 700,000km on the clock, just a work horse for parts pick up and to learn a bit about hybrid electrics.
The VW Kombi conversion will be all electric, I have been following the Electric Samba project to see how it fairs with weight v range and where to place the battery packs for the best all round retention of the Kombi look and practicality as a camper while combining a respectable range, to me, under 200km range just doesn't cut it as a practical all round vehicle, and the Kombi will need to be just that as it will be towed behind the big bus.
So.... each type has its purpose, no one size fits all just yet as range is still limited without a network of fast charging stations across the country.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

carnut1100
Groupie

Post by carnut1100 » Wed, 03 Jun 2015, 13:43

I much prefer pure EV as a concept.
No ice servicing, no fuel, no oil, no extra unneeded weight.......

I am long term planning a conversion that might have hybrid as part of its make up though....I use a ute for my gardening business, sometimes I do 30km, sometimes 150....and I'm usually towing a trailer.
To convert a Hilux etc would be easy, but I'd need 40-50 kWh of battery to cover the longer trips which are once or twice a fortnight.
There is enough room in a Lux for a pair of 2kW inverter gens tucked in a corner, and when I'm doing a longer run these could be fired up when I leave home and give me enough to make the day, bit like the i3 setup.

cj7hawk
Noobie

Post by cj7hawk » Thu, 04 Jun 2015, 06:00

carnut1100 wrote: I much prefer pure EV as a concept.
No ice servicing, no fuel, no oil, no extra unneeded weight.......

I am long term planning a conversion that might have hybrid as part of its make up though....I use a ute for my gardening business, sometimes I do 30km, sometimes 150....and I'm usually towing a trailer.
To convert a Hilux etc would be easy, but I'd need 40-50 kWh of battery to cover the longer trips which are once or twice a fortnight.
There is enough room in a Lux for a pair of 2kW inverter gens tucked in a corner, and when I'm doing a longer run these could be fired up when I leave home and give me enough to make the day, bit like the i3 setup.

I guess it's range that is the main point in question... And I've seen 3kW DC range extender generators (low voltage DC) for a few hundred dollars... Coupled with a smaller battery pack, they seem to offer some neat benefits.

Sometimes I live off-grid so overnight charging isn't an option - and at other times, it's nice to be able to keep the batteries for when I want to ride quiet and use the gen when I want to ride far.

But when I looked around, much of the hybrid development work seemed to be coming from the larger manufacturers than from smaller DIY builders -

David.