450km Manly to Cresent Head - best roads for EV?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
manlytom
Groupie

Post by manlytom » Tue, 24 Mar 2015, 16:51

Hi all

planning a road trip on my Zero S 2014 11.4. Going from Manly to Cresent Head and back around Easter. can allow up to two days each way.

looking for best roads that are fun and don't use to much energy. Old Pacific Highway etc.

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Tue, 24 Mar 2015, 16:55

not a bike rider so not sure what's fun i can offer you a powerpoint in Thornton if you want.

between central coast and thornton the f3 is actually really flat so generally take it over the pacific.
Corporate Member Recharging NSW Pty Ltd. http://rechargingnsw.com.au/

manlytom
Groupie

Post by manlytom » Tue, 24 Mar 2015, 17:27

great - thx for the plugin offer. might come back on this. Wondering if an average speed of 50km/h along the Pacific highway with hills versus a more flat freeway at 100km/h (coz not save going slower) uses less energy.

Johny

Post by Johny » Tue, 24 Mar 2015, 17:52

manlytom wrote: great - thx for the plugin offer. might come back on this. Wondering if an average speed of 50km/h along the Pacific highway with hills versus a more flat freeway at 100km/h (coz not save going slower) uses less energy.
It might pay to do a little research if you have a flat freeway in your area. Try 80, 90 and 100kmh and try to note average power draw. It's also going to depend on your riding position and peripheral stuff - like backpacks and saddle bags. My opinion is that slower is going to be better no-matter what but convenience and boredom play a part too!
http://savemyboredom.com/motorbike-yoga ... ding-bike/

manlytom
Groupie

Post by manlytom » Thu, 26 Mar 2015, 03:06

Johny wrote:
manlytom wrote: great - thx for the plugin offer. might come back on this. Wondering if an average speed of 50km/h along the Pacific highway with hills versus a more flat freeway at 100km/h (coz not save going slower) uses less energy.
It might pay to do a little research if you have a flat freeway in your area. Try 80, 90 and 100kmh and try to note average power draw. It's also going to depend on your riding position and peripheral stuff - like backpacks and saddle bags. My opinion is that slower is going to be better no-matter what but convenience and boredom play a part too!
http://savemyboredom.com/motorbike-yoga ... ding-bike/

one thing I plan to have is TIME. therefore avoid fast, even if flat, highways. enjoy the slow, happy rooutes. no boredom there.
at this stage I estimate that I can do 150km easily while doing happy routes... this requires me to recharge a couple of times. One is an overnight that I plan at an RV park or Motel that allows me to charge. the other times I need standard power outlets for a top up.

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Thu, 26 Mar 2015, 14:51

The old Princes Hwy to Newcastle is a must do on a bike, from the other side of Newcastle things will be much more boring/limited by recharging facilities. I guess it depends how long a recharge will take, pubs/shops/servos are possible recharge points on the back roads but not if it's a 5 hr or more process. 5 hrs at a pub would result in no further progress for the day for me :lol:
There is some interesting roads out through ClarenceTown, Dungog through to Gloucester, then turn off to Wingham, but a long detour and no idea about recharging facilities outside the towns. Apart from that there is only the short runs off the main hwy through the old roads, and some of them don't offer a lot of excitement for bike riding.

T1 Terry
Last edited by T1 Terry on Thu, 26 Mar 2015, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
Green but want to learn

manlytom
Groupie

Post by manlytom » Thu, 26 Mar 2015, 15:00

Thx. Great info. Yeah the stop at the pub is risky.
With conservative riding I expect to get 150km range savely.
Then top up for a couple of hours to get a further 100k range. Then stop for the night. Repeat.

Using google maps to work out route. Switching between settings "avoid motorways" and "bicycle" the bicycle one gives me good indications of inclines and declines.

alexeiw123
Groupie

Post by alexeiw123 » Sun, 29 Mar 2015, 03:00

Gday, new member, first post, hooray.

I'm in Port Macquarie which may be closer to crescent head than you'd need, but if you need a charge you are welcome here.

I have a 7.2kW J1772 EVSE in my garage, which probably won't help you much for two reasons: a) I don't think the zero accepts charge from them? b) we'll be away for the easter long weekend.

There is a 10A GPO in the meter box which you'd be more than welcome to hang off of though even if we're away when you come past.

manlytom
Groupie

Post by manlytom » Mon, 30 Mar 2015, 11:17

Hi
Have not converted my Zero to fast charging considering the very limited options available. Just planning to use two chargers on a standard 10A outlet. Will gain with that the right balance between weight and charging speed. Two chargers should charge the zero in 3 to 4 hours.

manlytom
Groupie

Post by manlytom » Fri, 03 Apr 2015, 04:30

Update. Successfully got a second charger going. Together I still draw only 10amps. Therefore can charge at many place. Just need to mount it all on the bike now. Trip is starting April 11 and will post more details about route soon. Hope to have charging options every 100km apart.