I want an EV, but what?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Bryce

I want an EV, but what?

Post by Bryce »

How about getting hold of a broken down Blade then? I know of several that would not take too long to fix for someone with an engineering/technical background.
Otherwise - a second hand imiev. (The Vic EV trial Leafs have all gone).

Cheers
Bryce
T1 Terry

I want an EV, but what?

Post by T1 Terry »

Bryce wrote: How about getting hold of a broken down Blade then? I know of several that would not take too long to fix for someone with an engineering/technical background.
Otherwise - a second hand imiev. (The Vic EV trial Leafs have all gone).

Cheers
Bryce

or a Prius with a plug in battery up grade Image

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
reecho

I want an EV, but what?

Post by reecho »

For a hands on car I think a first or second gen Prius would be a good fit, either with a faulty original pack or good pack and adding the PHEV kits that are available.

Dead blade EV another option if there is any around.

There might also be a converted focus on sale over here in WA from the REV trial....

As Joseph said the Audi A3 E-Tron is coming too but it's $60k plus.
g4qber

I want an EV, but what?

Post by g4qber »

all of them are dirt cheap compared with this
http://www.commutercars.com/buy-lease-rent.html

USD240k
I'm still extremely tempted to get this
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 24 Jan 2015, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Model 3 SR+ FSD - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 82
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
g4qber

I want an EV, but what?

Post by g4qber »

Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 24 Jan 2015, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.
weber
Site Admin

I want an EV, but what?

Post by weber »

Hi Dave. Thank you for all your excellent advice on eevblog, particularly re test instruments (Rigol DS1052E and Fluke 87 III (second-hand)). I am very happy to be able to return the favour in a small way . I suggest you test drive both a Nissan Leaf and a Mitsubishi iMiev. All the owners I know, of both of these, seem very happy with them. My wife is very happy with her Leaf. I don't think you need to worry too much about batteries having been thrashed. I suspect calendar life and ambient temperature are the biggest degraders of batteries. Although it wouldn't hurt to also consider kilometres travelled. And new packs are not all that expensive and will probably be less so in future.
Last edited by weber on Sat, 24 Jan 2015, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
carnut1100
Groupie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by carnut1100 »

Having driven both Leaf and imiev I would say Leaf is my preference, but at less than $20k I couldn't pass up the imiev which I have now done 21,000 on.
Imiev is a nice car.
Get a 2012 if you can.
I have a 2010 and my wife has a (now crashed...) 2012, and while there are things I prefer on the 2010 (styling, wheels, led headlights, one touch windows, keyless start) the 2012 is a better car with full J1772 charging, six airbags, a bit more range and a much nicer controller with more regen.
mikedufty

I want an EV, but what?

Post by mikedufty »

As far as iMiEV batteries are concerned, there are quite a few of the ex-lease 2010 models being sold as "factory demo" which means you get the full 5year new car warranty despite it already being nearly 5 years old. Really happy with our $15,000 one. It does seem to have a little less range than the new 2012 model my parents have, not sure if that is due to the age or improvements with the new model, or just the way it is driven.
MrD
Groupie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by MrD »

hi All,
The Dubbo Mayor's Volt has just been listed on car sales for k$40.
Only 18,000kms and well looked after.....
He has changed into an Outlander PHEV.
MrD-85-TSLA
g4qber

I want an EV, but what?

Post by g4qber »

caskings
Noobie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by caskings »

If you are happy with one that looks like a golf ball, my hail damaged Leaf has resurfaced at pickles auction. Some new wing mirror glass and it should be good to go.

http://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-salva ... 2970083629
PlanB

I want an EV, but what?

Post by PlanB »

Anybody going to the Pickles auction for caskings Leaf? Would be nice to see what it goes for. I'd really like to get my hands on a 2012 Leaf traction pack casing.
caskings
Noobie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by caskings »

I'm curious to see what it goes for as well. We need more sale price data points.

Also if anyone in this forum buys it and gets it back on the road. I will give you vinyl lettering of your choice from the following options. 1) Titleist, 2) Wilson, 3) Pinnacle Image
Adverse Effects

I want an EV, but what?

Post by Adverse Effects »

a lot of the Pickles auction's can be watched online live just have to Singh up first
PlanB

I want an EV, but what?

Post by PlanB »

Back to the Aust Leaf owners forum for you Feng, where the members are gentler. On the subject of words, I don't get casking post about the 3 choices of vinyl lettering?
Feng
Groupie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by Feng »

They're golf ball brands I think, to go with the dents all over the LEAF.

Funny enough I was just thinking about how to spend my long service leave next year and wondered if I could pull off an EV conversion on an MX-5. You guys might end up hearing more from me if it ever becomes more than just a hairbrained idea!
caskings
Noobie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by caskings »

Yep, they are all brands of Golfing equipment. Specifically in this case golf balls, because it certainly looked like one after the hail storm.
PlanB

I want an EV, but what?

Post by PlanB »

Oh I see. Golf, a good walk ruined.
eevblog
Groupie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by eevblog »

caskings wrote: If you are happy with one that looks like a golf ball, my hail damaged Leaf has resurfaced at pickles auction. Some new wing mirror glass and it should be good to go.
http://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-salva ... 2970083629

Golf ball indeed!
eevblog
Groupie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by eevblog »

Well, turns out I'm now in immediate need for a car.
Put my crappy old Holden Vectra in for service today, and it turns out I was driving a death trap!
Will cost at least $1K to get a $2K car back roadworthy and safe.
So will just drive it home carefully and mothball it.
I'm now without a car. Even my Sinclair C5 is not roadworthy!

So gotta make a big decision, get an electric right now, or a stop-gap ICE car till a better electric comes out.
Will discuss with the wife tonight, but I think she'll OK at least an iMiev level spend.

I really like this Volt (the number plate is awesome!):
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 297/?Cr=12
But $37K is a lot for a 2nd hand car.
The iMiEV's look like a good affordable option, even as a stop-gap option for a few years. Better than $5K bomb ICE car.
Will have to check out the auction places too.
eevblog
Groupie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by eevblog »

That's a complete non-goer, unless I never drive it. FBT all the way. Image
Huh! So tax laws encourage you to buy a car that you never use. Bureaucracy gone mad!
Last edited by coulomb on Fri, 06 Feb 2015, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD

I want an EV, but what?

Post by offgridQLD »

I was in a similar situation (it was even a vectra... older model 98Image ) I had reached the point where owning the car any longer and addressing all the items that had simply just worn out. A decision needed to be made If it was worth spending any money on it. Even doing all the work myself would require me to spend way more than the car was most likely worth. Given the vehicle was a inheritance (essentially a fee car) I had a good run with it and honestly it wasn't my car of choice. I decided to just sell it.

We did have another car (4wd utility) but an additional smaller more efficient car was essential. Considering you really don't get anything worth while under 10k 2nd hand thats safe reasonably modern and considerably better than what we just got rid of not to mention fuel efficient (the vectra was rubbish at 10lt/100km) We started looking at euro diesel cars. Sure they were very economical at 5lt 100km and well appointed but a nice one was 15k+ second hand.

Deep down I really wanted a EV. Though at the time I was under the impression there was only about 3 models to pick from in AU and they were all about 50k. So I strarted to look into build one myself. Even being a machinist / fabricator by trade and able to fumble my way through basic power electronics I planed on doing all the work myself on a home built ev. So I started to get more serious hunting down a parts list. It became apparent that to build something worth while it was a 20 - 30k project and a lot of time (I don't mind a challenge and have a reasonable amount of time But it was more money than what I wanted to spend on a home built ev.

Then my wife said again to me how much are the OEM EV's I said they are all about 50K. She went quiet and started to google them and said what about the Imiev? They are running them out at the moment for 29k for a new car (last years model) I did some searching and found out one had been sold for 25k (new old stock) So after some ringing around a test drive of one and some negotiation We had a 2012 brand new Imiev for 25k.

Is it my car of choice if I could have any EV?...no

Is it better than I was expecting?....yes it has grown on me and surprised me.

Would I purchase one again now todays market?...yes but 2nd hand even less investment.

I think a lot of the home build projects have a lot to gain from taking parts from the OEM EV's you never know the Imiev's running gear could end up in a nice body one day and I will get to do that home built project. Image One thing is for sure I will never purchase another ICE car again...its just seems so silly.

I think the biggest issue you will have is you have had your introduction to EV's by taking a Tesla model S for a test drive.....so you have eaten eye fillet EV and now looking in the sausage and burger EV section Image

Kurt
eevblog
Groupie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by eevblog »

offgridQLD wrote:Considering you really don't get anything worth while under 10k 2nd hand thats safe reasonably modern and considerably better than what we just got rid of not to mention fuel efficient
Yes, true, just "buying more trouble".
It became apparent that to build something worth while it was a 20 - 30k project and a lot of time (I don't mind a challenge and have a reasonable amount of time But it was more money than what I wanted to spend on a home built ev.
That's what people seems to be saying. To build your own EV that matches the iMiev, costs more than the iMiev does (used).
I think the biggest issue you will have is you have had your introduction to EV's by taking a Tesla model S for a test drive.....so you have eaten eye fillet EV and now looking in the sausage and burger EV section Image

The Tesla is of course cool. But the thing that does it for me is the range.
I could take it on really big day trips and not have to worry.
But it's out of the question,and the Volt is borderline financially.
The iMiev on the other hand does not even get me to the nearest canyon and back up the Blue Mountains.
So an iMiev is great for 99% of my use, but useless for some things, but that's to be expected.
No wonder they call it "range anxiety"!
Most of my world however exists within 10km of home (work, gym, shops, pre-school, mother, in-laws, storage unit) so am iMiev class EV is practically perfect.

Our other car is a Dualis, so I can use that to do those trips provided the wife is happy to drive the iMiev and carry around two little ones (4yo, & 1 almost there) in the child car seats. I think it's a workable compromise.
caskings
Noobie

I want an EV, but what?

Post by caskings »

eevblog wrote:
Our other car is a Dualis, so I can use that to do those trips provided the wife is happy to drive the iMiev and carry around two little ones (4yo, & 1 almost there) in the child car seats. I think it's a workable compromise.

If the experience with my wife is anything to go by, she will want the EV all the time and try to dump the ICE on you any chance she can get.
mikedufty

I want an EV, but what?

Post by mikedufty »

The bigger problem may be whether your wife lets you use the i-MiEV.

We've got an outback and an i-MiEV,and any argument is always over who gets to drive the i-MiEV. The kids like it too, though they are a bit older than yours. Outback only gets used if going out of town or needing 2 cars at once.