Electric Hot Rods

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Kieran
Groupie

Electric Hot Rods

Post by Kieran » Fri, 05 Dec 2014, 18:05

G'day

Has anyone heard of an electric hot rod in Australia? Because they have separate chassis and body would that make them easier to covert/build? Ta.

woody

Electric Hot Rods

Post by woody » Fri, 05 Dec 2014, 19:42

There is a Caterham (Lotus 7 replica?) which was kit built as an EV by one of the Sydney members - does that count?

I think front engine - RWD gives you plenty of access.
The older the donor car, the simpler it is as various complexities weren't invented - CANBus, ECU, A/C, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Reversing Lights, Heater/Demister.
It also seems that Hot Rods have a fast track to rego somehow - not sure how that works - maybe just that certain chassis are a known quantity...
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

EV2Go

Electric Hot Rods

Post by EV2Go » Sat, 06 Dec 2014, 00:00

Kieran wrote: G'day

Has anyone heard of an electric hot rod in Australia? Because they have separate chassis and body would that make them easier to covert/build? Ta.
Yes but it's just an idea in my head. For quite some time now I have been slowly gathering information on an early 30's hot rods like a pinched nose for EV use.

I wont say conversion because basically the car would be built from scratch as an EV. There are some great early 2 door body styles (my preferences are towards the 3 window styles).

I can very easily see a Kostov duel 11" sitting quite nicely between the chassis rails with a 9" out back.

Because they are basically a kit the wiring is so much simpler than trying to convert an existing vehicle.