DMOC repair

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Tue, 18 Jun 2013, 23:43

I have a Blade Electron that is not going. Is it possible to have the controller repaired here in Sydney?

It is an Azure Dynamics DMOC. It will run for 5 to 20 minutes before stopping. It then may restart right away or in 3 hours. It is currently out of the car. It's replacement only worked for 15klm before stopping permanently.

ElectricAutos
Noobie

DMOC repair

Post by ElectricAutos » Wed, 19 Jun 2013, 00:24

Call Electric Autos on 08 6102 1285.

chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Thu, 20 Jun 2013, 05:05

Thank you I will give them a call.

acmotor

DMOC repair

Post by acmotor » Thu, 20 Jun 2013, 05:16

Hey Chris, let us know on the forum what the outcome is.
All the best with the repair. Image
iMiEV MY12     102,980km in pure Electric and loving it !

chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Mon, 15 Jul 2013, 03:42

The controller is in for repairs here in Sydney. Not happy with the warranty Ross provided with the car.

chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Thu, 18 Jul 2013, 03:58

Bad news trying to get the dmoc controller repaired. With out a schematic being available the repairer can't trace the fault with the unit. Back to square one. Is any one interested in a low k's blade mark V with a faulty controller?

I paid Ross Blade $20,000.00 for it in December 2012. It arrived faulty in that it would only run for 10 to 15 minutes at a time before cutting out. Ross has been working on fixing it under warranty since then. He has to his credit provided a replacement DMOC controller (which I had to fit) two months ago which went for 15K's only. Last email from Ross stated he was sourcing a Curtis controller for it but he doesn't have the $2,500.00 to pay for it!

He offered to upgrade it for $10,000.00. I don't feel comfortable doing so considering my experience dealing with Ross so far. If he comes good soon, and honors his word to repair the car under warranty I may consider an upgrade in the future with him.

BigMouse

DMOC repair

Post by BigMouse » Thu, 18 Jul 2013, 04:21

chris wrote:Is any one interested in a low k's blade mark V with a faulty controller?
That's a shame. I'm sure someone on here could make it work again. It'd be a near ideal test bed for my own motor controller project. What motor do these things have in them?

Really though, that's no good that you've had it less than a year and it's already a no-go. You'd think they'd just replace the whole car at this point. Does Australia have "lemon laws" like in the US?

bladecar
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by bladecar » Fri, 19 Jul 2013, 04:47

Hi,
I've no direct connection with Ross or his company.

I have a mk6 car which I have just started to drive. We'll see how well the tm4 system runs. They have been refining the control software and it seems ok so far.

I know Azure went broke. I was reading about the history of ev's in the US and many companies went broke due to petrol prices going low after a period of scaring the population during the 20th century. The book is on kindle and I can tell you the name if you want.

In the wake of parts manufacturers going broke and with proprietory systems, I lean more to controllers which have readily available information on the website of the manufacturer. Tritium have this, as far as I have determined. Check out this aspect of the parts offerings.

I also think that how available the parts are and how many are already out there would be something to think about when choosing equipment.

I won't argue with anything you have said. I would say that Electrons were being sold before anything was available from the other manufacturers. I'd also guess that it would be hard to build an ev for less than $20000. Maybe better components would be an improvement on a basic car (though the "relatively" cheap prices for the imiev and the leaf would be persuasive to prospective buyers).   Remember that you get the reliability of the major manufacturers plus the usual commercial shennanigans that you must follow when dealing with them.

I think the electron is more of an "enthusiasts" car than an average car (as shannons would say). You need to have an interest in how they work and see problems as something to overcome, a bit like the reputation ducati's had some years ago, deserved or not (don't know what they are like now).

As I said, I won't argue with anything you have said. It just depends on which direction you want to go, and to proceed carefully.

I'll still argue strongly for having an ev. Out in the car today, I said to my wife "Isn't this great". We were just sitting at the lights, no noise whatsoever. That's a different feeling.

g4qber

DMOC repair

Post by g4qber » Fri, 19 Jul 2013, 15:35

What does dmoc stand for?

Johny

DMOC repair

Post by Johny » Fri, 19 Jul 2013, 16:01

It's really impressive:
DMOC645 Digital Motor Controller

chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Sun, 21 Jul 2013, 03:20

Is there anyone in Sydney who could get this car going?

BigMouse

DMOC repair

Post by BigMouse » Sun, 21 Jul 2013, 05:27

chris wrote: Is there anyone in Sydney who could get this car going?
I'm sure there is, but whether it's using a DMOC or not is another question. If I were to do it, I'd be using my own controller (still under development). Unfortunately, I already have an EV project underway. Maybe get in touch with Jaron? He's got some experience with the Tritium controller which might be suitable. Either way, for the cost of retrofitting another controller in, you may as well send Blade $10k and get a whole new car.

chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Sun, 08 Sep 2013, 00:06

I paid Ross $20,000 for a whole new car he described as in "pristine condition". I am still waiting for Ross to get it going under the warranty he provides. I was hoping someone here knew of an alternative rather than to continue waiting for Ross to honor his promise to repair the car.

Jaron was mentioned as possibly being able to help. I would be grateful for a contact number or email.

jonescg

DMOC repair

Post by jonescg » Sun, 08 Sep 2013, 00:29

Daniel Booth in WA has a Tritium controller which is for sale. It should work straight off the bat. Should be a cheap second hand purchase too.
efiautos@iinet.net.au
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

g4qber

DMOC repair

Post by g4qber » Sun, 08 Sep 2013, 01:07

deleted
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 07 Sep 2013, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Sun, 08 Sep 2013, 01:43

Thank you. The problem is how do I get it installed in my car, as I personally have no experience in installing an AC controller. I still need to find someone capable of fitting it for me here in Sydney.

Vectrix150V
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by Vectrix150V » Mon, 09 Sep 2013, 17:52

I'd have a look at the Sydney AEVA chapter, their AGM is in October (27th), so you would have a critical mass of very smart people to help you out locally.

evric
Site Admin

DMOC repair

Post by evric » Mon, 09 Sep 2013, 20:07

The National AGM is in Canberra on the 12th October 2013. It was in Sydney last year on the 27th October.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au

chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Wed, 25 Sep 2013, 01:46

Ross has moved to Sydney. He picked up my car on Thursday. Hopefully I will be on the road soon.

BigMouse

DMOC repair

Post by BigMouse » Wed, 25 Sep 2013, 02:08

That's good news! Hopefully his move can help his business really take off. With his kickstarter thing, and a few job postings, it looks like he's really making an attempt to have a go at making it work. Best of luck to him. Australia is an especially harsh environment for this sort of startup.

iwyze
Noobie

DMOC repair

Post by iwyze » Sun, 29 Sep 2013, 06:06

Hi Chris,

Generally I am not a regular participant of this forum. Someone else from the Sydney AEVA branch spotted this posting and referred it onto me. The Sydney branch of AEVA regularly met almost every week socially on Tuesday nights, typically we start at one of the members garages or workshop for them to do a show or tell or get some advice and at about 7:30pm we move to a nearby dining location. Maybe you should have a look at www.meetup.com/AEVA-Sydney.

Great to hear your getting the vehicle back on the road.

cheers,
Jaron

chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Thu, 12 Dec 2013, 17:04

Just an update. I am still waiting for the car to be fixed.

chris
Groupie

DMOC repair

Post by chris » Tue, 14 Jan 2014, 22:45

Got the car back on Saturday. So far so good. Happy!

jonescg

DMOC repair

Post by jonescg » Wed, 15 Jan 2014, 00:59

Pictures/video or it didn't happen! Image
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair