gttool
Groupie

List of conversion workshops in Australia

Post by gttool »

saw one last week at as a static display 160km range apparently
PlanB

Post by PlanB »

Why can't us (would be in my case) DIYers get a Tritium's choice of motor (not that expensive carbon thing, the other one) onto a transaxle like that?
Tritium_James

Post by Tritium_James »

Borg-Warner probably won't sell you the gearbox, but if you can get one I can't see why you couldn't put an induction motor on it and run it with our controller. Would be a nice system.
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

speaking of australian made packages , what happened to Ultramotive and their three motors ?

are they being used anywhere , can they be purchased by professional EV builders ?

why is this tech not being fast tracked to commercial production ?
HeadsUp
Groupie

Post by HeadsUp »

Tritium_James wrote: Borg-Warner probably won't sell you the gearbox, but if you can get one I can't see why you couldn't put an induction motor on it and run it with our controller. Would be a nice system.

yeah the only limit is the frame size (clearance diameter) for the motor to clear the gearbox housing on the other side that isnt visible in the photo.

wonder if Borg Warner have something that can be easily adapted to accept an ultramotive Carbon or Helium motor

do we have access to the borg warner drive specs such as what the reduction ratio is , and if it is a single speed or multi speed box ?

thanks people
Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 »

This might be of interest guys

http://www.stak4x4.com/Transfer_Cases/d ... r_case.htm

These can be modified easy to run driveshafts with a motor parallel to the axle.
Seen it done in a few sandrails running big rotax aircraft motors
AMPrentice

Post by AMPrentice »

Canberra32 wrote: This might be of interest guys

http://www.stak4x4.com/Transfer_Cases/d ... r_case.htm

These can be modified easy to run driveshafts with a motor parallel to the axle.
Seen it done in a few sandrails running big rotax aircraft motors
any sample pics of the rotax setups as I cant figure out how 2 axles could come out of this transfer case evenly they seem offset?
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

No Queen, No Prime Minister, No hierarchical system to break down our communities
Never vote Labour, Liberal or Maggots like them.
Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 »

They swap the gears in reverse and drive through the offset shaft and run the two inline shafts as the drive shafts.
Basically think upside down back the front...
However if one is not oppose to the odd bit of coin being thrown I found a company that makes front wheel drive gearboxes that take 600hp nicely.
Full kit with drive shafts is around the 6k
I still think a two speed Lenco into a IRS diff is the most bulletproof option that's what I will be running in my clubman.
Fits the motor and gearbox fully in the tunnel keeping the motor weight central :)
Clubman body is being clayed up ATM I have been a very busy boy :)
BigMouse

Post by BigMouse »

4:1 gear ratio is a bit low for direct drive on an AC motor, but not too bad. I doubt there'd be clearance for a larger frame motor either.
I do like the parking brake option though.
Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 »

Most performance engineering shops should be able to custom fabricate something if needed.
If you know what and know your way around a cad program then all you need is a good CNC shop :)
Sheany
Noobie

Post by Sheany »

AMPrentice wrote: any news on Arc EV workshop for Melbourne?

An Ariel Atom-like single seater "Blade Edge" would have made more sales globally than an Electron for Ross.

Unfortunately, money became scarce, and I had to go back to my main job. However, I'm slowly putting things together, so, don't lose hope. (I'm trying not to)
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

HeadsUp wrote: speaking of australian made packages , what happened to Ultramotive and their three motors ?
Alas, I heard that they were taken over by Varley.
[ Edit: however, the web sites of the two companies don't say this, as far as I can find. So I may be wrong. I know they aren't at the same address they used to be; Tritium is there now (they used to be adjacent to each other). ]
are they being used anywhere
Yes, in Varley's supercar:

http://www.varleyevr.com/
, can they be purchased by professional EV builders ?
You'd have to contact Varley. I'd say they'd be happy to make a deal for the right quantity, and I have no idea what that quantity might be.
why is this tech not being fast tracked to commercial production ?

I think it needed uptake by some well funded DIYers, to improve the volume and reduce the unit price a little, then gradually get better and better on both volume and unit price.

Or better yet, have a large manufacturer use their motors, and increase the volume and decrease unit price more quickly. Deep Green Research were going to do this, but they seem to have disappeared.
Last edited by coulomb on Wed, 05 Dec 2012, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Bluefang
Groupie

Post by Bluefang »

Hello everyone,
I am looking at doing conversions on motorbikes. Starting at about 20kw and heading up to 80kw in a single motor. Using a mid mounted high efficiency hub motor at 135V. I have built a few bikes around this motor and can say it only truely shines in a mid drive setup.   Due to the size of the motors 2 can be mounted in a large motorbike. The controllers are highly modded and programable to give good control over the setup of the bike. The batteries are lipo large format cells capable of a 10c discharge. Minimum battery size is 4.7kw but due to been lipo i can fit upwards of 15kw on a bike.

Due to not having a reputation in the industy and with it primaraly been a hobby atm my price will reflect that. Feel free to pm me.
20kw with 4.7kwh battery would be $5000
50kw with 9.5kwh battery would be $9500

More then happy to do the conversion to meet NCOP standards which should allow registration anywhere in Australia if you provide me with a registerable bike to convert.

Derek Hohmann
Vectrix150V
Groupie

Post by Vectrix150V »

This would be the motor from CR right? :)

Very interesting bit of gear, I've been following your build thread.

$5K - do you have a specific bike frame in mind for this (seeing as you started out with the kinlon?)

That's pretty competitive with the Zero.
Bluefang
Groupie

Post by Bluefang »

Yeah its CRs motor.....but heavily modified for mid mount high voltage running and would be running on better programmable controllers as i am now finding out that the controllers i have are soft start. Which in a way is kind of good as i have ~24kw showing on the CA last time i tested the bike but also very annoying as i want full control not just having to accept what its programed for from factory. The way i did that bike tho has taught me a incredible amount so even tho its taking about 3 months to get it registered i would think the next bike would take a few weeks tops.

For the $5k build, don't do something stupid like i did and cheap out on the bike. No specific bike, i ll make the system work on anything, but something that does not use the engine as a stressed member, something with a great frame but sh*t engine so its a good value buy for conversion. A twin spar frame also makes it easier for battery placement but really anything goes. A bike like a Cagiva Mito or Aprilla RS125 would be awesome, great handling frame with a tinny crap sounding engine making them relatively affordable for the quality frame etc.

The aim is to beat the Zero as i would have to do alot to get their reputation and access ability. Well in Aus its pretty easy as most electric motorbike companies don't seem to be playing ball.
Vectrix150V
Groupie

Post by Vectrix150V »

I'll be watching this with interest - which controllers are you looking at - sevcon? Those hopped-up ebike controllers aren't real good at torque control (since I think the model you were using only looks at battery amps, not phase amps).

Putting more and more mosfets in parallel really doesn't solve the problems, despite what the Chinese think :)

How is the rego going? Still having issues with the inspector and the brakes?
Bluefang
Groupie

Post by Bluefang »

The Chinese controllers work really well if modified correctly and also running them with a CA V3 gives extremely good control with torque control. Aside from that for the even higher power systems I ll be using a custom logic controller based on Lebowski's chip to control a power stage from a car. 300-400v sounds pretty good.

With my bike I should up date the thread but I have ditched the first engineer who disappeared on me, now paying one from Brisbane to look over the bike who knows a lot more and has got me around the brake test by using original components. Should have the final inspection on Monday and then it's another wait until it's approved due to the wheel changes still.
Vectrix150V
Groupie

Post by Vectrix150V »

Sounds sweet - have you considered using something like the IGBT units in the Vectrix?

They are a proper 3 phase IGBT, with gate drivers integrated, desat detection and overcurrent protected 600V 300A. PM300CLA060 - Mitsubishi. Beats the snot out of MOSFETS, their SOAR curves are completely different (ie. you can use them AT their ratings - when they say 300A - they mean it).
Bluefang
Groupie

Post by Bluefang »

Yeah IGBTs are what i am hoping are going to be the future for my electric motorbike/car builds. The car power stage i am looking at using is the Honda Civic hybrid MDM, it has 600V200A rated IGBTs and 450V rated caps. The main bonus with the honda IGBT is that its well documented, cheap, readily available and a very easy system to take out of the car and be able to link up with a logic controller.

Been dual controller motors i am using the honda IGBTs are more then powerful enough for what i am doing. :)
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

it looks like the list is out of date. i couldn't find a single one in NSW that is still alive.
gttool
Groupie

Post by gttool »

GTTooling is still here and converting anything to electric if you want it..
Geoff 041042581
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

I spoke to the guys who did my conversion and they are happy to look at other projects. They originally converted a Suzuki Swift for me using the "Goombi" kit (96v, 100ah SLA's). We are now completing the upgrade to lithiums. Their particulars:

Helensburgh Car Services Pty Ltd
187 Parkes St, Helensburgh NSW 2508

Ph: 02-4294-2930

Ask for John or Peter

AMPrentice

Post by AMPrentice »

Any in Vic?
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

No Queen, No Prime Minister, No hierarchical system to break down our communities
Never vote Labour, Liberal or Maggots like them.
Krayzie keegs
Noobie

Re: List of conversion workshops in Australia

Post by Krayzie keegs »

:D I know it's been some time on this post. I am looking into starting a project in Point Cook Victoria. the goal is to convert my own car than open a shop of some degree as no one in the area has or is doing it.

feel for the market and funds will dictate

I am a mechanic turn electrician, now doing HV for the 600V DC tram network,
who do we still have in the area for parts, been looking at US market but we all know how that flys
francisco.shi

Re: List of conversion workshops in Australia

Post by francisco.shi »

I am looking for a certification engineer to certify my conversion.
Does any one know of any engineers in Qld?