Why get an EV?

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
antiscab

Why get an EV?

Post by antiscab »

marcopolo wrote:

No need for anything that drastic! I suspected as much! However, you are confirming my belief that the claims made by the maker of the EVme, are either wildly optimistic or vaporware!

the claims aren't that far out, which is partially why i didn't bother to double check.

i mean they have a 36kwh battery on board (lithium cobalt, so even better than the lithium us hobby guys use).

a mazda2 uses ~15kwh/100km, at 100kmh at the battery
so 240km at speed isn't too hard to expect.

36kwh is a huge amount of energy for a car that size.

shame they've only made one.

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
Goombi

Why get an EV?

Post by Goombi »

In weekend Australian: London offers free parking for EV's
you can hire EV for 42$ a day distance 65 km free parking No inner city congestion tax 15$ Park and charge or anywhere just plug- in The mad Boris ( the London Mayor) is planing 100k ev cars in 3 years in the city. also EV Taxi... There is a man with a vision.
Goombi

Why get an EV?

Post by Goombi »

Why did they only made one car? Surely two would have been more realistic One to test and the other to assemble as final.
That would be my plan and it was but in extended timeframe..
someone that starts on e dream EV needs a lot of money 70k is not enough something like 2-300K Office- secretary 36x24x36 -tea room --Workshp- rental equipment staff -engineers electrical rngineer- panel beater welder etc etc. to setup a workshop with full capacity staff will absorb best part of 150K and you still have to outsource. Then you need weekly budget-- components batteries we all know what is involved ( but we improvise) set up like this cannot improvise all parts have to be hand made and have to be and look professional.
Then finally the big fanfare and bottle of plonk. and the bank manager is knocking on the roller door.. Now franticaly orders are being taken even without final test( certified) but no one is interested. and why? the budget took the value of the EV beyond anyones interest.
The company tries to refinance or take some wine growers for partners ( ) --no intererst What now.. Dead stop. Do you know the price of the car? anyone? trying to sell-- no buyer disapointment
BEV had also hard start and I don't think he is out of the woods yet.
Like i said before No GST no gov. interest or support.

Solution: Do not wait for some glorified engineer to offer you EV make it and enjoy the magic of doing it yourself. in your own time within your own budget.
woody

Why get an EV?

Post by woody »

Tesla model S =~ Au$70K :-)

Me being me would convert a 1959 Ford Fairlane (AKA barge fairlane), or '59 Chev/Buick/Cadillac Plenty of room for people, batteries, generators. With enough TS to drag 2 tonnes of tortured tin around, a tritium wavesculptor controller, lazy 180 frame 30kW 4 pole direct to the ford nine inch diff and then to the whitewalls. Plently of budget for Aircon.
300Wh/km * 250km = 85kWh =~ 30,000 AHA of
lithium = 1.5 tonne battery pack = OMG WTF BBQ.
Performance expectations: I'd expect it to do a lot more damage than average against a discovery in a head on.

OK - scrap the range down to 100km and 500kg of lithium - looks
a lot more fun.

Spend the saved money on a sunliner or skylines convertible as a base.

Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
marty11
Groupie

Why get an EV?

Post by marty11 »

woody wrote: Tesla model S =~ Au$70K :-)

or... Ev me Mazda2      ....... Au$70k

and the winner would be...drum roll ... Tesla Model S ! (IMHO) Image
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw
marcopolo
Groupie

Why get an EV?

Post by marcopolo »

Simon wrote:Where did you get 250kms @ 130kph from marcopolo?
I checked the evMe website and it says 160km range @ 120kph(to 100% DOD)with caveats for terrain, load, wind etc. And a typical range of 160-200km after 5000km of driving city and highway. Its doesnt require three phase power to recharge either.

Well the EVme website is not exactly user friendly. (due in part to legal restrictions), however as I said, my information was based on, a number of interviews given by the companies founder to the media, reports of claims made to potential 'investors', and a statement by the the 'buyer' of the first car.

IE; Autoblog Green:
:Powered by lithium polymer batteries, the evMe is said to have a range of 125 to 155 miles, depending on driving mode and conditions, and the Brusa AC motor and electronics can take it up to 80 mph. Its 0 to 60 mph time is a respectable 10 seconds.

Having sold off their first copy, the conversion team reportedly have more than 100 orders waiting to be filled. The asking price is $70,000 Australian dollars (that's "only" $47,476.78 U.S!

Also, from the companies own Press Release:
: The first prototype of Armidale’s electric car was launched in Armidale today with the new owner Howard Eastwood from Glen Innes taking the keys from Member for Northern Tablelands Richard Torbay.

The appropriately bright green evMe – Energetique digital electric model, with a Mazda body wrapped around some of the world’s most advanced technology, can reach a speed of 130kph and travel 250kms before it needs recharging.

Nursing the keys of the car he could not drive away immediately. Mr Eastwood said he hoped to have it on the road by Christmas.The Glen Innes businessman has arranged to connect three phase power at the Jackadgery caravan park, to charge his new car between his home town and Grafton.
Now, I did say that allowance should be made for inaccurate reporting and overly enthusiastic PR. However, it also got me thinking, what could be done with a budget of $70k?

marcopolo
Groupie

Why get an EV?

Post by marcopolo »

antiscab wrote:the claims aren't that far out, which is partially why i didn't bother to double check.i mean they have a 36kwh battery on board (lithium cobalt, so even better than the lithium us hobby guys use).a mazda2 uses ~15kwh/100km, at 100kmh at the battery
so 240km at speed isn't too hard to expect.36kwh is a huge amount of energy for a car that size.shame they've only made one. Matt

Ok...., so if I am correct, you are saying that given a budget of $70k you could build an EV conversion to achieve those sort of performance specs?
Goombi wrote:someone that starts on e dream EV needs a lot of money 70k is not enough something like 2-300K Office- secretary 36x24x36 -tea room --Workshp- rental equipment staff -engineers electrical rngineer- panel beater welder etc etc. to setup a workshop with full capacity staff will absorb best part of 150K and you still have to outsource. Then you need weekly budget-- components batteries we all know what is involved ( but we improvise) set up like this cannot improvise all parts have to be hand made and have to be and look professional.
Then finally the big fanfare and bottle of plonk. and the bank manager is knocking on the roller door.. Now franticaly orders are being taken even without final test( certified) but no one is interested. and why? the budget took the value of the EV beyond anyones interest.
The company tries to refinance or take some wine growers for partners ( ) --no intererst What now.. Dead stop. Do you know the price of the car? anyone? trying to sell-- no buyer disapointment
BEV had also hard start and I don't think he is out of the woods yet
Of course you are quite right, the actual manufactured cost would have to be much lower to allow for the costs of establishing and operating a business. But I was just using the Figure of $70k to illustrate what could be produced if converters were given a generous budget.
Woody wrote: Me being me would convert a 1959 Ford Fairlane (AKA barge fairlane), or '59 Chev/Buick/Cadillac Plenty of room for people, batteries, generators. With enough TS to drag 2 tonnes of tortured tin around, a tritium wavesculptor controller, lazy 180 frame 30kW 4 pole direct to the ford nine inch diff and then to the whitewalls. Plently of budget for Aircon. 300Wh/km * 250km = 85kWh =~ 30,000 AHA of
lithium =1.5 tonne battery pack = OMG WTF BBQ.Performance expectations: I'd expect it to do a lot more damage than average against a discovery in a head on. OK - scrap the range down to 100km and 500kg of lithium - looks a lot more fun. Spend the saved money on a sunliner or skylines convertible as a base.
God bless ya! You are my kinda Guy! Whooah! A '59 Ford Fairlaine Sunliner eh? The model with the retractable hard top? (twenty years before Merc's effort)! Great stuff!

And why not? After all if Smith/Ford can build an EV 12 ton truck to run 120 klms at 80+ klm, surely it can't be too hard to get a 59 Coup de ville kick some EV ass?

Ah, but as to the Tesla S at $A70k? Well, I'll believe it when I see it! It's easy to quote prices for a vehicle not yet produced let alone a RHD version ARD'd and on sale in Australia. I would be more likely to expect that the Ford Focus EV will arrive with a $A 30-35k for the luxury pack model. (local assembly is contemplated).

There is a report from a usually reliable source that Ford US has received 5 Australian Falcons sent to the Ford in-house EV R&D centre, two have been forwarded to Ford's outside consultants, Azure Dynamics Inc. and Magna International Inc. (the guy's behind the EV Transit) to assess for EV conversion.

A Falcon EV? My bet is it will be more likely to be a Hybrid to compete with the Aurion.

However, I digress! Thank you for your EV concept. In your opinion which would make a better 'showcase EV donor' a (Enos spec) MX 5, Maserati Bi-turbo Spyder convertible(1988) or a (1969) Alfa-Romeo 1750 GTV coupe?

Think about it, what could be achieved with a $70k budget?
7circle

Why get an EV?

Post by 7circle »

Well $70k would of helped with my old scrapped project.

Turn into one of these full of Lithium.

I was blown away when Volvo Calafornia Design Team (Ford ?) made:

I'm sure they spent alot more than $70k on the 3CC using the AC proplsion gear.
Squiggles

Why get an EV?

Post by Squiggles »

marcopolo wrote:In your opinion which would make a better 'showcase EV donor' a (Enos spec) MX 5, Maserati Bi-turbo Spyder convertible(1988) or a (1969) Alfa-Romeo 1750 GTV coupe?

Think about it, what could be achieved with a $70k budget?
You would have to go the Alfa coupe!
marcopolo
Groupie

Why get an EV?

Post by marcopolo »

7circle wrote: Well $70k would of helped with my old scrapped project.
Turn into one of these full of Lithium.I was blown away when Volvo Calafornia Design Team (Ford ?) made: I'm sure they spent alot more than $70k on the 3CC using the AC proplsion gear.

Wow! Whatever happened to the Volvo 1800 Sport? Do you still have it? It's great car for a conversion, if a little heavy at 1200+kg.

Volvo also produced some 8000, P1800 ES variants. The ES estate may have been the inspiration for the Ford era, EV California concept?

It will be interesting to see how the Swedish workforce and the new Chinese owners get along! Although the Ford management will continue for some time.

The decision by Ford to sell all other brands, and concentrate on the Blue Oval was a decision by William Clay Ford and the Ford family. That decision highlights the very significant philosophic difference between the management of Jac Nasser and the Ford family. It was the cause of Jac Nasser's departure. Nasser period at Ford was marked by the introduction of much needed reform of management practises and cost cutting, however Nasser's philosophy was not centred on Car manufacture as such, but business return to share holders.

Bill Ford has stated that the Ford family would rather go broke making cars they was proud to make, than earn more money, and watch the Blue Oval disappear into a conglomeration of other (foreign) brand names.

Let's hope his long term investment, and commitment to EV technology pays off.

Innovation will be the key to any auto makers future, and perhaps the EV and other fuel technologies will see a burst of creativity to inspire the oddballs and classics of the future!

Goombi

Why get an EV?

Post by Goombi »

This topic is one of the most distracting from the start-- arguments disaprovals -contraversies even had a bit of nuclear options Most comments finished with uncertainty and not positive attitude it represents something like this Joke.

Two Irishmen were standing at the base of a flagpole,   looking up.

A blonde lady walks by and asked them what they were doing.

Paddy replied, 'We're supposed to be finding the height of this flagpole, but we don't have a bloom'n ladder.'

The blonde took out an adjustable spanner from her bag,   loosened 2 bolts and laid the flagpole down.

She got a tape measure out of her pocket, took a measurement, and announced that it was 18 feet 6 inches.

She then walked off.

Mick said to Paddy, 'Isn't that just like a blonde.

We need the height and she gives us the bloom'n length.'

marcopolo
Groupie

Why get an EV?

Post by marcopolo »

Goombi wrote: This topic is one of the most distracting from the start-- arguments disaprovals -contraversies even had a bit of nuclear options Most comments finished with uncertainty and not positive attitude.

Isn't that the great thing about some threads? Like some great conversations, they wander all over the place?

Don't you agree that it's not important that one person is right or wrong, or (heaven forbid) that everyone agrees, but that from a wide diversity of ideas and debates we all learn a little something from each other, even if it's just that nobody is ever 100% right, or 100% wrong?

I believe, most of the contributors to this thread express the same objectives, they just come at it from different paths. EV's like all technology, attract different ambitions from supporters. Individual tastes are different. Like art, some will advocate a determinedly minimalist approach, with strong 'green' values. Others would like to see more opulent technology, with 'more bang for more bucks'. Nobody's opinion is more valid than any other, just so long as contributors don't take it personally if others don't share their values.

That's what makes a thread like this interesting, interesting enough to have attracted over 300 contributions and more than 9000 viewers?