Aeromods, very interesting

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Benonymous
Groupie

Post by Benonymous »

This is not an EV but I think it's relevant to anyone contemplating a conversion. The Civic in this article has had some (slightly crude) aeromods done to it. They are quite extensive and the owner has proved that they are very effective with coast-down tests and so forth. This sort of modification should appeal to anyone doing an EV conversion for the simple fact that even high tech batteries still represent only a fraction of the energy density of gasoline. As the EV has so little energy on-board, the less you use the better. This is especially true at highway speeds over 80kmh.

http://www.aerocivic.com/
Taffy
Groupie

Post by Taffy »

If you are willing to get into metal work or fibreglassing then you can make a huge difference to your range. I have been doing calcs on the lotus 7 looking at reduced front area and reduced cd. Including new nose cones which cover the suspension and wheels, etc.

On ecomodder there are some very good tips and examples on what people have tried.
Johny

Post by Johny »

Eccomodder 66 tips for better economy link.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yes the aerocivic is a perfect example of what aeromods can do!!
Another interesting source to look at for aeromods is Human powered vehicles.
Found this link today of the Human Powered Vehicle 24 hour distance record!
I think that HPV's show that aerodynamics are still an important consideration even when a vehicle is not going at highway speeds.
Thalass

Post by Thalass »

Its a shame the mods are kinda crude looking on the aerocivic, but it is a great example of how well it can work. There's a ute on ecomodder with a custom-built tray cover thing that is also very aerodynamic. Its on the list for my brumby.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.