MiEV to cost $60,000

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
Benonymous
Groupie

MiEV to cost $60,000

Post by Benonymous »

Why?   Is it just the batteries? I really can't believe it but I suppose that all of the major companies have efficient methods for making ICE cars and creating electric vehicles requires a lot of new plant and tooling. It seems like all the steam has gone out of factory EV's now that the price of oil has stabilised at a realistic market level.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Artic ... leID=63589
Taffy
Groupie

MiEV to cost $60,000

Post by Taffy »

wow... err that is about 30K short of a nice Ferrari or on par with an older model. For 60K i could build a 300km Clubman that is race capable.

If they get it for close to 40K we are talking.

antiscab

MiEV to cost $60,000

Post by antiscab »

this doesnt shock me tbh
the first few are always more expensive to make, its just how the production process is.
If mitsubishi runs the imeiv as a negative leader as toyota did for the prius, the a 40k imeiv is very possible.

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
acmotor

MiEV to cost $60,000

Post by acmotor »

Ummmm, if you follow that logic though Matt, then they should sell iMieV for $20,000 and actually make progress in the market.

Or perhaps talk govt into a $20,000 subsidy on the first 1,0000 vehicles. That's only 20M$. They can lose that in a typo ! After all govt tipped 70M$ into a hybrid that (if it ever does) will turn up years later. Image
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
antiscab

MiEV to cost $60,000

Post by antiscab »

haha or better still if i win lotto on the weekend ill open my own dealership and sell em for free :D

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
zeva

MiEV to cost $60,000

Post by zeva »

Disappointing to hear this may be the case. I can't imagine it really costs 4x as much as the equivalent petrol burner to manufacture!

I was at a talk yesterday by Andrew Simpson of CUSP (and ex-Tesla) who mentioned that in Australia the Prius are more expensive than they should be, since the factory only sends us a trickle of stock, Toyota Australia takes the opportunity to charge more for them - supply and demand. Perhaps it's the same case for the iMiEV, with Mitsubishi knowing there won't be many cars coming initially and that there will be a few "fanatics" for whom money is no object.

The cynic in me also believes that manufacturers don't really want to produce electrics since they'll be bad for profits, and unofficial alliances with Big Oil. But the public wants electrics, so manufacturers need to look like they're trying, at least.. Then overcharge for them, and claim poor sales are because the "public doesn't really want them". (Sound familiar?)

On the other hand it probably makes it easier for our local EV industry (what little we have of one!?) to compete in the short term..
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au
acmotor

MiEV to cost $60,000

Post by acmotor »

TIC Ian, surely it would suit you ! Image But you are on the economics / politics.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !
Benonymous
Groupie

MiEV to cost $60,000

Post by Benonymous »

I'm with you Hoops. I believe strongly that the manufacturers are dragging their feet on purpose. Pitching the iMiEV at early adopters with a massive pricetag will work the same way as the Honda Insight. The demand will have a very short sharp peak as the well heeled enthusiasts buy in but then it'll tail off to nothing. At least Honda persisted with the Civic Hybrid but it wasn't half the car the Insight was from a technical/construction standpoint. Any manufacturer would be able to do a loss-leader on the first generation of EV's and kick start the market. They just don't want to.

Mass adoption of EV's would lead to severe profit cuts in spare parts and servicing across the board not to mention the oil moguls begging for change on every street corner *sniff*.

As I've said before, we won't have real factory EV's in any numbers until Big Oil has figured out a way to cash in.