tassie_tiger
Groupie

Potential Postie Bike replacement with e-bikes

Post by tassie_tiger »

From
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... -news.html

DAMIEN BROWN
May 08, 2009 04:00am
TASMANIAN designer Simon Williams has braved rain and hail, savage dogs and dangerous drivers.

But he says it was all worth it as he embarks on a brave challenge to change an Australian icon - the famous red postie bike.

The Kingston-based designer is putting the final touches on his design that he hopes will make life easier for posties worldwide.

The revolutionary three-wheeled electric bike has been created for Design Island, an annual program that showcases the state's designers.

Mr Williams' bike will not only be silent and energy efficient, it will have greater stability, is capable of reversing, can go off-road and carries larger loads safely.

He said it would also be faster and travel longer distances than its petrol-powered predecessors.

"The prototype includes technologies like regenerative braking, battery management and a reverse gear," Mr Williams said.

"The bike itself presents a possibility for change in the perceptions and awareness of many Australians.

"Most would never give a second thought to an alternative."

Mr Williams worked as a postie for 18 months to get a better understanding of what changes were needed.

The bike he has developed is expected to be on the road by the end of the month.

The current Honda CT110 is built exclusively for Australia Post making it the highest selling motorcycle in the country.

It has a 105cc four-stroke engine and a four-speed gearbox.

Arts Minister Michelle O'Byrne said this year's program featured more than 50 designers.
Last edited by tassie_tiger on Fri, 08 May 2009, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
My hobby interests are EV's and competitions. aeva.asn.au for ev's and www.lottos.com.au for competitions. If your partner complains about you ev'ing, send 'em to lottos!
Thalass

Post by Thalass »

Why three wheels? Why reverse?

I love the idea of an electric postie bike. But as we all know, people resist change. It should probably be designed to be similar to the ct110. I've said before that converting an actual postie bike would be an interesting experiment, to gauge the reaction.

good work, though!
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.
Carv'n Marv'n
Groupie

Post by Carv'n Marv'n »

It's a tilting three wheeler, that you can balance without having to put your foot on the ground, and when you get off, it stands on its own. The ability to tackle tough terrain at slow speeds is excellent.

The tilting, and righting mechanisms are dead simple - and failsafe.

The prototype has two X5's in the rear wheels, controlled with two Kelly boxes....hence - regen braking and reverse built in.
As a Postie your always finding yourself backing down a driveway, or pushing backwards to get out of a tight spot, or to get back to the mail box you just missed....so reverse is essential.

There are three inbuilt luggage racks - one above each rear wheel, and theres one that pulls out from the back of the seat.

The CT110 is a beast, but not perfect - and not a purpose built mail delivery vehicle
Williams Electric - Tilting Trikes
tassie_tiger
Groupie

Post by tassie_tiger »

Hi Simon

is the bike on display somewhere for the public to see?

- fellow Hobartian
My hobby interests are EV's and competitions. aeva.asn.au for ev's and www.lottos.com.au for competitions. If your partner complains about you ev'ing, send 'em to lottos!
Carv'n Marv'n
Groupie

Post by Carv'n Marv'n »

...I live in Kingston. You can come around and take a look one weekend if you want... still doing work on it.
Williams Electric - Tilting Trikes
Thalass

Post by Thalass »

Interesting, and a good point about reversing. I hadn't thought about that. I think as long as its performance is as good as what it replaces, it's ok by me. I think we need to try and overcome the perception that EVs are toys.

Is there a video of one working? Or a computer simulation, perhaps. I'd like to see it in action.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.
tassie_tiger
Groupie

Post by tassie_tiger »

Johny

Post by Johny »

Interesting stuff.
Here is a fixed link:
http://www.uspsoig.gov/FOIA_files/DA-WP-09-001.pdf
They talk a lot about Vehicle to Grid (V2G) support where the EV supports the electrical grid during the night hours but there appears to be no discussion or projections on how that would effect battery life.
Richo

Post by Richo »

What govt department really needs an AC conversion?
Rubbish collection.

Start
squeal
Stop
Start
squeal
Stop

They already have a big ICE motor to run the hydraluics.
Just need the AC motor added to regen to a small pack.

Start
regen
stop
start
regen
stop

So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
ev28wa
Groupie

Re: Potential Postie Bike replacement with e-bikes

Post by ev28wa »

Yes please Richo