Numberplate ID for EV and Hydrogen Vehicles

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
mongy71
Noobie

Numberplate ID for EV and Hydrogen Vehicles

Post by mongy71 » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 13:41

The National Transportation Commission has created new vehicle standards for all electric and hydrogen powered vehicles. Vehicles manufactured after 2019 will be required to affix ID labels to their number plates. This will create a safer environment for all emergency services and persons involved in incidents.

Link. https://www.pcc.gov.au/uniform/Australi ... 202017.pdf

This will be up to state transport bodies to implement.

What is the appetite for existing vehicles to receive these stickers with registration ?

PiMan
Groupie

Re: Numberplate ID for EV and Hydrogen Vehicles

Post by PiMan » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 06:04

Your link doesn't work. I'd guess you copy-pasted it from another site, but didn't realise it had abbreviated itself.

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 06:55

mongy71 wrote:
Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 11:04
The National Transportation Commissio has created new vehicle standards for all electric and hydrogen powered vehicles. Vehicles manufactured after 2019 will be required to affix ID labels to their number plates. Link below.

This will be up to state transport bodies to implement.

https://www.pcc.gov.au/uniform/Australi ... 202017.pdf
Try the link in this post

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 12:41

I'm all for it.
It'll be great to know that the car stuck on the side of the road is a hydrogen car and has no chance of refueling so will be there for some time. :lol:

But how will emergency services know between a regular petrol car and a hydrogen car that had the label fall off?
Shouldn't we have a red reflective circle with flames on it be on every petrol car?
That way a car with no label will have to be treated as an unknown.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 15:53

Makes sense to me. I've always felt it was odd that hybrids and LPG vehicles had their symbols on number plates but EVs didn't, at least in Victoria.
Although to be fuel-agnostic, I think petrol cars should get one too.

One thing I would have thought they would do, but apparently didn't, is to require the symbol on all new registrations, not just newly built vehicles.

mongy71
Noobie

Post by mongy71 » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 16:22

Thanks Brendon for updating the link, my mistake ;)

Emergency services need to size up a range of incidents quickly. Electric and Hydrogen powered vehicles provide specific risks that need to be considered during rescue. Labels would be very effective in assisting early identification, however not the only means used to identify risks.

Yes, petrol also presents a risk. Because this is considered the default fuel type emergency services consider it at all incidents. Perhaps some time in the future when petrol powered vehicles are the exception, they will require the labels and not the EV's !

To be properly rolled out I would suggest ID labels be included with rego, NSW RMS has indicated it wont, but is yet to outline its implementation plan so I will keep an eye out for that.

PiMan
Groupie

Post by PiMan » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 17:15

A risk occurs to me. A hybrid, according to these regulations, will get labelled as an EV; if emergency services rely on that label to help assess fire danger, then they won't know there is also a petrol tank.

4Springs

Post by 4Springs » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 17:54

Interesting.
We have no such licence plate stickers in Tasmania. I was recently informed by an emergency services guy that he thought it was crucial. His point was that if a car has 'stopped' (i.e. no noise from the engine bay), an emergency services person doesn't expect it to go again. If I suffered a heart attack in my Brumby, and it came to a stop, then the act of getting my unconscious body out of the driver's seat could push the accelerator down. Someone might get hurt as the car took off unannounced and potentially with great vigor.
Properly trained, such a person might see an EV sign on my number plate and take a moment to turn the key off before they pull me out of the car.

In my Outlander this would be a less likely scenario, as it 'creeps'. That is, when the foot is not on the accelerator the car moves ahead slowly. It could still happen though if it came to rest against a kerb, or if it was slightly uphill. The noise that the car generates at slow speeds does stop when the car comes to a stop, so that wouldn't help.

So I guess I'd like stickers for my (definitely pre-2019) vehicles.

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 11:13

With LPG, the requirement is a diamond shape aluminium plate be attach centre of the number plate for each LPG tank on board. We now have a mix of LPG, diesel, petrol, hydrogen and battery/electric to consider and it can be a combination of any these in any particular vehicle. The usual first action is to disconnect the engine battery and in most cases that cuts off the petrol/diesel/LPG/HV battery, so I'm guessing hydrogen fuel vehicles would follow the same safety protocol.
The real danger starts when the have to cut through vehicle body sections to free a trapped person from the vehicle and this is where the emergency people need to know just what they will find inside the part they are cutting through. This is why they now aim for roof and door removal to gain access, a full safety audit needs to be carried out before they cut anything else in the body work. the DIY conversion must create a nightmare situation when it comes to doing a safety audit because each vehicle is different.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Richo

Post by Richo » Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 12:33

T1 Terry wrote:
Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 11:13
The usual first action is to disconnect the engine battery and in most cases that cuts off the petrol/diesel/LPG/HV battery, so I'm guessing hydrogen fuel vehicles would follow the same safety protocol.
I'm not so sure about this.
A running petrol car without the battery is supplied by the alternator.
A running eV without the battery is still supplied by the DC/DC.
In a crashed ev that has shorted out the key lines it could look off and the key out, battery removed but still be fully operational.
Then cut through an orange wire or tap the accelerator and your in real trouble.

Well I guess if the stereo is on or the lights are still going then there is a good chance that the battery on the side of the road hasn't helped make it safer.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Richo

Post by Richo » Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 12:42

T1 Terry wrote:
Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 11:13
diamond shape aluminium plate be attach centre of the number plate
Well that is great for standard plates that have a dot in the center.
WA has a variety of plates where that isn't practical so they mention somewhere where it doesn't cover the lettering.

I vote:
Petrol/flammable liquids top left
ev/electrons Bottom right
Hydrogen/gas Top right
Nuclear/fusion/ fission bottom left ;)
Then a mix/hybrid can have any number of those.

mongy71
Noobie

Post by mongy71 » Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 14:12

For standard rescue, responders would look to disconnect 12v battery. This would go some way to disabling SRS especially non deployed airbags. Handbrake on, keys out if possible and removed from immediate vicinity for FOB keys.

Electric vehicle also pose specific risks (hence need for these labels): silent, unexpected movement, high voltage DC components (marked in orange cable) and Lithium Ion batteries that can cause burns if exposed. Most new car technology goes some way to shutting itself down post incident. Rescuers can also cut emergency isolation cable ( I think in front bonnet for some Telsas ive seen), and remove 12v fuse (sometimes in the boot).

All vehicles and incidents are different, there is no fix for every risk, but certainly the more information the better to manage risks and extraction plans. Having the ID labels will help.