AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General EV Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transplanting running gear from a Leaf to ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jalovick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transplanting running gear from a Leaf to ?
    Posted: 07 April 2016 at 4:08pm
Hi,

This is my first post and what I'm sure is going to be a journey into the EV and maybe off-grid world.

I've been looking around at Nissan Leaf battery packs, after discussing with a member about the packs in his Mk1 MR2, and began to wonder if anyone had considered transplanting the entire running gear of a Nissan Leaf to another vehicle?

The way I see it, the upsides would be:
- It's well established technology, all designed to work together
- Depending on the wrecker, parts can be cheap
- The Leaf engine module is standardized

Potential downsides
- Mounting of batteries
- Working with a 360v battery pack.
- Weight distribution
- Getting it approved/registered (I'm in NSW, but SA is an option)

On the home energy storage side, I've just read about someone using Leaf packs in their solar system - http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17879

I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.

Thanks

Jamie
It's me!
jonescg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 9:08pm
Hi Jamie, welcome aboard! High voltage battery packs aren't scary. Just build them right and you won't look back. The pack on my race bike is 700 V fully charged...
Ask Graeme Manietta about mounting them. Michael Day and Mark Taylor will be very helpful guys to have around.
I challenge you to come up with a better invention than the bicycle
jalovick View Drop Down
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jalovick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 11:25pm
Thank you.

I spoke to Michael last weekend at the Mighty Car Mods Nationals at Sydney Dragway. It was him that mentioned the Leaf batteries.

I'm a little way off doing something, but am curious what people are doing and what challenges they might have faced.
It's me!
reecho View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2016 at 9:08am
There is a youtube video of a complete Leaf drivetrain out of a car...mounted on a peg board running. I think it's doable if the right donor car is chosen.

There would be a few niggles of course such as ABS speed sensors and the like..
tassie_tiger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tassie_tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2016 at 2:29pm
My hobby interests are EV's and competitions. aeva.asn.au for ev's and www.lottos.com.au for competitions. If your partner complains about you ev'ing, send 'em to lottos!
jalovick View Drop Down
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jalovick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2016 at 9:10am
Looks complex, but cool though. It's good that someone else has gone first to work all of this out .. :)
It's me!
carnut1100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnut1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2016 at 9:07pm
There are also solutions becoming available that will allow the use of a Leaf drive train with a standalone controller.
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by jalovick jalovick wrote:

On the home energy storage side, I've just read about someone using Leaf packs in their solar system -
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17879

Is there a constant reliable source of good leaf cells?
What is their cost?
If the sun's not up turn your lights ON - duh! Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!!
Adverse Effects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adverse Effects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 5:23pm
just out of intrest what is a new leaf pack worth?

because the last price i saw per "unit" was used $190 + shipping and there is 48 (?) units in a pack?

190 x 48 = $9120 that has to be more than a new pack
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 7:52pm
Any takers on busting up your leaf so I can buy the cells cheap
If the sun's not up turn your lights ON - duh! Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!!
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2016 at 9:11pm
http://www.eco-aesc-lb.com/en/product/liion_ev/

I love the inquiry page:
No you can't have battery
No you can't have sample
No you can't have a tour

I'd like to work for their sales department

Part number is 295B9 if you're googling...

Edited by Richo - 22 August 2016 at 10:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic