Third Meeting - CanberraEV group
Joined: 29 April 2008
Location: Queanbeyan, NSW
Posted: 03 July 2008 at 6:54pm
This is the first reminder for the next meeting of the Canberra EV group. The meeting will be held at 7.30 pm, Thursday 10th July in the Catchpole Room at Wests Rugby Club, Catchpole Street, Jamison, Macquarie ACT (opposite the Jamison shopping centre). Some of us will be having dinner in the restaurant there from 6:30 onwards. This is a good opportunity to meet and chat before the meeting starts. Sign yourself in by putting your name on the list at the door. If any problem, phone Bill on 0438 514706.
Here is a provisional agenda for the meeting (items 2, 3 and 5 to be confirmed):
1. Introduction of new members.
2. Sascha to present on the conversion of his Toyota ute.
3. Nick and Sarah to present on progress with their conversion of a 1994 Charade.
4. Lawrence and Huy to give an update on their project and provide some ideas on possible assistance the group could give them.
5. Charles to present on his Suzuki Swift conversion and plans for his next vehicle.
6. 5 to 10 minutes presentations by Mark Taylor (AEVA), Vanessa Morris (SEE-Change) and ANZSES Rep if they wish to do this.
7. Discussion on affiliation.
8. Vote on affiliation. We hope to be able to make a decision on this as it is now delaying the establishment of our web site. If you are unable to attend the meeting and wish to record a proxy vote please send an email indicating your preferences.
9. The web site, progress so far.
We have arranged for the meeting to be held in the Catchpole room at Wests and have also made a booking for their data projector. There is a charge of $50 for the projector so a modest contribution towards this cost will be appreciated.
Proposed topics for August meeting:
1. Dave Micklethwaite's farm buggy and ISUZU ute projects.
2. Chris Curtis to bring solar bike.
3. Demo of web site.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list so that you will receive reminders for the next meeting and the notes from the last meeting please send an email to CanberraEV@optusnet.com.au
Joined: 29 April 2008
Location: Queanbeyan, NSW
Notes for the CEVA meeting of Thursday July 10th at Wests Rugby Club, Macquarie, ACT.
46 people attended and there were 6 apologies.
The mailing list now has 73 names!
1. Self-introductions by new members
i. Sascha Saharov gave a detailed presentation on his conversion of a 1982 Toyota Hilux ute. This has a ADC 9” motor, Curtis 1231 speed controller, 24 x Trojan T105 6V golf cart batteries (144V total) and Woods battery charger. If you would like a copy of his presentation send Dave an email; eventually it will be available through the web site.
ii. Sarah Todd gave a progress report on her and Nick’s conversion of a Diahatsu Charade. Nick and Sarah have produced a very useful “How to get started” guide. If you would like a copy of this presentation send Dave an email; eventually it will be available through the web site.
iii. Lawrence Macintosh and Huy Nguyen gave an update on their solar-electric car project. They mentioned several areas where we may be able to assist:
· bulk buying
· tools and skills
· involvement in conversion projects
Lawrence and Huy are to advise more specific needs in due course.
Each of the groups that we had discussed affiliation with spoke about their organisation.
· AEVA: Mark Taylor, the AEVA newsletter editor from Sydney
· SEE-Change: Vanessa Morris, the Executive Officer of SEE-Change, ACT.
· ANZSES: Simon Troman, the President of the ACT ANZSES.
The group voted almost unanimously to affiliate with AEVA and become the Canberra branch of AEVA.
AEVA will notify AEVA members in the ACT and surrounding regions of NSW that the first official meeting of the Canberra Branch of the AEVA will be held on 14 August .
AEVA membership application forms can be found on the AEVA website at http://www.aeva.asn.au/membership.htm.
Dave Micklethwaite talked briefly about plans for our web site – currently a “work in progress”. Advice will be sent out when the ‘prototype’ site is open for business. We have registered a domain name and have ideas for the site and hope to have something running soon. Simon Troman suggested that we may be able to get help from University of Canberra students who need projects to work on.
The first workshop visit will be held at Dave’s place after the August meeting. The date and other details to be determined at the August meeting.
Register of skills and resources:
A suggestion was made that we have a register of tools and skills that might be available amongst the members. Since the meeting, Damon has sent an email fleshing out this suggestion. To be discussed in August.
This will be the first official meeting of the Canberra branch of AEVA.
Office bearers (President, Secretary and Treasurer) to be elected. Also web-site and activities co-ordinators etc (as required).
Proposed show-and -tells include:
1. Denis Appel to bring his bike with a hub motor (to be confirmed)
2. Chris Curtis to bring solar bike (to be confirmed)
3. Dave Micklethwaite’s farm buggy (confirmed)
4. One more needed
Other items to discuss:
· Web site
· Register of skills and resources
Finally, three stop press items for you:
1.Electric Vehicles in Portugal
Portugal will unveil details of a partnership with Renault and Nissan to
create a national network for zero-emission electric cars produced by the Franco-Japanese alliance.
Portugal follows Israel and Denmark in agreeing on similar plans to create a market for electric vehicles.
Ref: Peter Wise, Financial Times, Ninemsn 8/7/08
2. EV Rego concessions in ACT. The ACT Chief Minister, John Stanhope, has advised that the ACT Government provides owners of electrically-powered vehicles with a 20% concession on vehicle registration and is planning to introduce differential stamp duty costs by 2009 to favour low emission vehicles.
3. Data projector needed for next CEVA meeting. We hired one from Wests for the last meeting ($50) but need a better arrangement for the next meeting. Does anyone have one for sale? Can anyone bring one along. Please let Dave know.
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum