AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussion > Technical and conversion discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

That thing that sucks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: That thing that sucks
    Posted: 23 September 2016 at 4:19pm
Anybody got any updates, hints or clues to some you beaut Vacuum pump for the brakes?

I'm sure I saw some Billet ali ones a while back but can't find them anymore.
If the sun's not up turn your lights ON - duh! Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!!
poprock View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 6:17am
Hi, purchased a s/h UP28, I think from a Golf, from US for $50A; I have the upper cutout set too high and with a reserve tank 100m dia and 300 long it gives 14 pumps before switching in. The booster is only small (Suzuki Carry). Check out the OHMBOY build on the net.Same vehicle as mine but a much better conversion.
" A little foolishness now and then is relished by the wisest men "
TooQik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 4:45pm
This is where/what I bought for my conversion:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hla-009286001/overview/

Can't give you any details of how well it works as it's still sitting in its box due to my conversion being stalled.
poprock View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 6:06pm
Wow, makes a s/h one attractive. Why not trial a used one to see if it meets your requirements?
TooQik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 9:12pm
I wanted the larger UP30 over the UP28 and couldn't find one second hand, albeit I didn't spend a lot of time looking.

The UP28 seems to be used a lot in vehicles, while the UP30 is harder to find.
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 12:29pm
Yeah I did see the Hella one's and "unbranded" Hella ones - which weren't much cheaper.

What about the electric cars such as the Lead etc?
Surely they must have something usable.

Quite a few mention that they are only for supplementary use.
ie cars with poor vacuum.

If the sun's not up turn your lights ON - duh! Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!!
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 12:34pm
To make things worse some OEM vacuum pumps don't clarify that they aren't for brakes.
ebay 310720630307 is actually for the vent controls!

Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 12:44pm
331274996988 This one is the UP28 - AUD$203 delivered.
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 12:55pm
TooQik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Richo Richo wrote:

Quite a few mention that they are only for supplementary use.
ie cars with poor vacuum.

This is why I went for the UP30. To quote from Hella's website:

"These pumps are able to supply the necessary vacuum independent of the engine technology. The UP30/32 supplies a vacuum to the brake booster, and when required, to the engine compartment actuators. The UP30/UP32 is installed in the pneumatic section of the brake system, just like the UP28. Both vacuum pumps are ideal for vehicles without any vacuum, such as hybrid/fuel cell, electric or diesel engines."
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2016 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by poprock poprock wrote:

(I) purchased a s/h UP28

Any ideas on how noisy it is?

Although it's unlikely I'll hear it over the sub
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2016 at 1:05pm
Supposedly the VE commode has one.
Wonder how much the wreckers charge for them...

The UP28 appers to be used on the Holden Cruze.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hla-009428081
http://www.bettabuyone.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=18&products_id=8206&osCsid=jm50lcp6nejksionq0ml018qn2 $165
poprock View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2016 at 6:41pm
My up28 is much quiter than the Gast which was previously fitted. Think of a flock of pigeons passing overhead compared to the Westpac rescue chopper with full pitch.
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 5:19am

Well I have to get something because I'm too lazy to push hard on the pedal

Was on the Hella website and they list 3/4 different models.
The main difference is the UP28 take ~12secs to suck out a 4L to 70% and lasts 600 hours whereas the UP30/UP32 takes half the time but lasts twice as long.
The UP5X is marginally quicker and lasts a bit longer again than the UP30/32.
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 12:11pm
Here are the specs on all the Hella Vacuum's:

Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2016 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by poprock poprock wrote:

I have ... a reserve tank 100m dia and 300 long

So 2.3L.

I have read some other ppl (non-ev ppl) that didn't bother with the reserve tank.
I'd be a bit skeptical about no-tank in peak start/stop traffic.

2L sounds a reasonable size to have.

The tech specs suggest the UP28 is the quieter of the bunch.
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2016 at 9:49am
So I ended up getting a UP28.
Any one know off hand the part numbers for the matching connector?
poprock View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2016 at 5:28pm
I used Auto One over the counter fittings. The UP28 is in a container where the 12v battery was originally fitted, so no worries with moisture. The RMS engineer mailed the paperwork today, so hopefully blue slip inspection next week. Rear transmission seal leaking; so will replace first. Still way too much vacuum reserve; must adjust one day.
TooQik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2016 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Richo Richo wrote:

So I ended up getting a UP28.
Any one know off hand the part numbers for the matching connector?

If it's the same as the UP30 then the connector should be a Yazaki 7283-5575-10 or equivalent.
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2016 at 12:44pm
Yeah that looks like it

Shipping alone will be more than any other connector I could shove on there.
Or cut One off a wiring loom from a wreck.

Typical

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic