AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Production Electric Vehicles > Mitsubishi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Test drive of Outlander PHEV vs Prius V

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmpowerRepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Test drive of Outlander PHEV vs Prius V
    Posted: 25 September 2016 at 6:47pm
I'm changing jobs, and sadly the 108km round trip is outside the range of my Leaf

We need one of our cars to be a larger one, and are looking at alternatives to our older Mitsubishi Grandis, so went for a few test drives this week. It is either a Outlander PHEV or Prius V. Both cars seemed reasonable, but neither was a clear winner, even though they both have lots of good features. I liked driving the Outlander in electric only, but the range would only make up a proportion of my daily driving to work.

PHEV vs Prius V test drives

I have some thinking to do, but suspect that Outlander PHEVs may be sold out by early next year when we'll be ready to buy.

How do those driving these cars feel about them?
Member of Sunshine Coast Community Solar committee
3 kW solar pv
Nissan Leaf EV, bought March 2015
EV/Sustainability blog at www.EmpowerRepower.com
T1 Terry View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T1 Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 7:34pm
I have an '88 model Prius, ex Brissie taxi with over 700,000kms on the speedo. Still the original engine and transmission and has had the battery swapped for one out of a wreck after 600,000km. It is a pleasure to drive, I didn't expect it to go near as well as it does nor did I expect low 4ltr/100km on my drive from Lake Illawarra NSW to Mannum SA and I didn't drive it to get max economy, I drove it to get here and had to travel via some outback regions of Victoria to drop my daughter off at a friends place. The car was loaded to the roof with gear, yet drove really well. I think you will find the Prius hard to top in its price range

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
antiscab View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antiscab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 8:15pm
The prius will get better fuel economy if using petrol only.

no chance of charging your leaf at work?
Matt
2008 Mazda 2 - EV Shop convert
2011 Blade Electron mk6
2007 vectrix - 117'000km
1993 Electrolux - needs batt and charger
1998 Prius - needs batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
mikedufty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikedufty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 10:51pm
The review says the Outlander has a selectable electric only mode. I'm pretty sure they don't, which seems silly when they manage to offer one in the Prius. Someone has even built an aftermarket accessory to give it one.
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by mikedufty mikedufty wrote:

The review says the Outlander has a selectable electric only mode. I'm pretty sure they don't, which seems silly when they manage to offer one in the Prius. Someone has even built an aftermarket accessory to give it one.
Just driven normally it's in battery electric mode. You have to force it into petrol mode (Charge) or let the battery pack get discharged whereby it starts the petrol generator. The Prius' 1.5km electric only mode doesn't really compare with the Outlander PHEV's 50km - plus plug in charging!
reecho View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 11:26am
The Outlander will start the petrol engine on heavy acceleration as well.

It also runs the engine to assist in heating the cabin in temps below 10c.

4Springs View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4Springs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 4:13pm
Very pleased with our Outlander, only annoying thing is that it swears a lot.
The Aspire model has the less comfortable seats.
Remember that the first 30-40km is electric, so be sure to include that into your fuel economy calculations when comparing cars.
You didn't negotiate a charging point with your new job?
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 6:56am
Originally posted by 4Springs 4Springs wrote:

...., only annoying thing is that it swears a lot...
Huh?

Edited by Johny - 27 September 2016 at 6:56am
TooQik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 10:07am
Is there any particular reason you've ruled out the Toyota Camry Hybrids? You can potentially get one cheaper than either the Prius or Outlander, depending on which particular model you go for, and while you lose two seats when comparing it to the Prius V you gain towing ability of up to 300 kg.

(Edited post - originally stated 1200 kg towing capacity but it is only 300 kg for the hybrids)

Edited by TooQik - 27 September 2016 at 10:14am
4Springs View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4Springs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Johny Johny wrote:

Originally posted by 4Springs 4Springs wrote:

...., only annoying thing is that it swears a lot...
Huh?

The door is <beeeep> open.
Put on your <beeeep> seatbelt.
You're going around this corner too <beeeeep> fast.
You got out of the <beeeep> car without <beeeep> turning it off.

And my favourite:
There's <beeeep> something behind you!
To which I reply - "You <beeep> car, it's only <beeeep> grass!"

Edited by 4Springs - 27 September 2016 at 6:57pm
EmpowerRepower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmpowerRepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2016 at 11:15am
Originally posted by TooQik TooQik wrote:

Is there any particular reason you've ruled out the Toyota Camry Hybrids? You can potentially get one cheaper than either the Prius or Outlander, depending on which particular model you go for, and while you lose two seats when comparing it to the Prius V you gain towing ability of up to 300 kg.

(Edited post - originally stated 1200 kg towing capacity but it is only 300 kg for the hybrids)

I hadn't thought of it till last week, when we caught an Uber Camry Hybrid from Sydney Airport, and we were impressed with how quiet and comfortable it was. The fuel economy isn't quite as good as a Prius V, but it certainly should be cheaper in the base model to buy, so is now on the list for consideration. I did find the Prius V surprisingly noisy out of ev mode.

As to at-work charging, which a few people asked about, there don't appear to be any outside power points near the staff car park, but I'll look into it further.
Member of Sunshine Coast Community Solar committee
3 kW solar pv
Nissan Leaf EV, bought March 2015
EV/Sustainability blog at www.EmpowerRepower.com
bladecar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladecar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2016 at 6:31pm
Hi,

We have a 2012 Prius and it is very reliable and that's very important, but for me, it's not the point.

We went to an event where the drive battery was showing mostly full and found ourselves in the carpark trying to leave after the event. The stupid thing had used up all its power and was endlessly starting and stopping the motor long before we exited the place.

What capacity do they go between? 40% and 80%?

We get around 5.2 L/100 which can go down to the lower 4's on a long trip with proper driving but there's no point going on a long trip just to see better economy.

If you think you can drive the Outlander more often than not within its battery range, that's what I'd be doing, if you see where I'm coming from.

To me, it depends on whether you'll never spend more than you really really have to or if you go with a thought-out decision (right or wrong :))
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic