AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AEVA Branches > AEVA Melbourne and Geelong Branches
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Seemingly perfect mini donor car (rolling shell)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seemingly perfect mini donor car (rolling shell)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seemingly perfect mini donor car (rolling shell)
    Posted: 20 May 2009 at 4:07pm
Hey guys,
I thought one of you melbournians might appreciate this link, its a Morris Mini Rolling Shell
Looks perfect for an EV, new paint, no rust. Buy it now for $2500.
Good luck
Matt
Thalass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thalass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 10:25pm
Holy moly that's a nice looking mini. And that price is good. You can still pay 13,000 for a working mini in good nick. Especially a roundie like that.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.
mikebyday View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 9:15pm
Interesting thought.   Classic car buffs would be aghast at the idea I'm sure, but eventually electric conversions will probably by the only way of seeing some of these older cars on the road.   

Some models might have to wait a while for the technology to get a bit better though: Older cars can be very heavy.   

Mini should be ok though.

Mike
Thalass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thalass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 2:00am
There is one electric mini conversion on the ausmini website, I remember from last year when I was looking into a mini for a conversion. That's also how I know how expensive they can be hehe.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 6:08am
Originally posted by mikebyday mikebyday wrote:

Older cars can be very heavy.

Surprisingly the Humber Vogue only weighs around 1070kg (registered as 1050 but web reports say 1090). The Honda Jazz weighs 1050kg. See my homepage in the pull-down menu under my name. The Mini was always a light car too.
Tritium_James View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

AEVA Corporate Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tritium_James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 7:57am
Older cars can be heavy because they're built with thicker steel sections than modern cars, cast iron bits instead of cast aluminium, etc, etc.

Older cars can be light because they don't have side intrusion beams, impact adsorbing structures, collapsable steering columns, safety glass, big brakes, etc, etc.

So my 1966 mini is about 850kg, but my 1990's Diahatsu Mira built with modern techniques, but also no crash safety (it was imported as a commercial vehicle to bypass the regulations...) is only 650kg.
fuzzy-hair-man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzy-hair-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:27am
BTW I'm told the (perhaps early, not sure) 850 minis I'm told are some what lighter than the later minis because they used thinner sheet for the panels, apparently this made them a prefered candidate for racing.
Tritium_James View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

AEVA Corporate Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tritium_James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 10:21am
The big difference with the early minis is that they had rubber cone suspension, but the later types had the hydrolastic system. It weighs about 30kg more than the rubber cone setup.

The early types (ie, 850's) also were even more bare-bones than the later types, eg sliding windows (no winding mechanism), no dashboard, no fan/heater, not to mention the smaller lighter engine.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzy-hair-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Tritium_James Tritium_James wrote:

The big difference with the early minis is that they had rubber cone suspension, but the later types had the hydrolastic system. It weighs about 30kg more than the rubber cone setup.

The early types (ie, 850's) also were even more bare-bones than the later types, eg sliding windows (no winding mechanism), no dashboard, no fan/heater, not to mention the smaller lighter engine.

Yeah my deluxe is pretty similar, no heater, no vacumn boosted brakes, no power steering it should make a conversion comparatively straight forward (famous last words).

I think the racers liked the 850 shell because they could transfer in whatever motor brakes or subframe they liked to make it lighter or better performing but they were sort of stuck with the doors and the shell.

Glass flip fronts and boots etc can help further, your right about the doors though.

Lighter again would be a moke but I suspect what you gain with weight you'd loose with aerodynamics...

One of the best mini based candidates would have to be the Mini Jem, it's a fibreglass kit car based around the mini subframes It weighed in at 10 1/4 cwt (512kg) and the aerodynamics and frontal area look much better than a mini.

They raced them once at Le Man (and others), there was a funny photo I found on the web of a Jem race car, the trouble was there wasn't enough room for the driver to wear a helmet so they fibreglassed a bump in the roof especially for the helmet to fit into, it was hilarious I don't know how they got away with it but...

There was a mob Taylorspeed in Adelaide who used to make the Taylorspeed Jem which was an Australian made copy of the UK Jem.

Mini Jem website
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzy-hair-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by mikebyday mikebyday wrote:

Interesting thought.   Classic car buffs would be aghast at the idea I'm sure, but eventually electric conversions will probably by the only way of seeing some of these older cars on the road.

I actually see it as a positive thing if even new cars are changing engines to go to EVs then the old cars are in with as good a chance of being used as a basis for a conversion as a new car, it's a way of seeing old cars out in daily use and not moth balled in garages or museums. Besides a 90% efficient drive in a 50 year old car that is simple and nice just tickles my fancy some how like you've just skipped half a century of ICE refinement and evolution and all the garbage that goes into cars now and gotten back to a steering wheel 3 (or 2) pedals and 4 wheels.

Also it might stop or slow all these new cars being made needlessly when there's plenty of good older cars out there going to to wreckers for want of someone to use them.
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 2:51pm
The only problem is that most of the comments I got when driving the Vogue were when I was filling with petrol. How will I get my "went on my first date in one of those" fixes when I'm back on the road as an EV?
Guess I'll have to check the air in the tyres a lot...
johnymcaffee View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnymcaffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 1:10pm
Does anyone know of a place that sells Mini sized car seat covers?
I am not looking for anything as percise or expensive as the Newton Commercial Interior Kits. I just want something to decently cover old front seats. The seats are getting old and look quite shabby. I already have a set of better seats sitting in a garage, but will only use that when I refurbish the car at a later date. I called around to most places, but they dont stock Mini sized covers. How much do I need to pay for a reasonable set of 2 front seat covers?

Edited by johnymcaffee - 11 September 2009 at 1:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic