AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Production Electric Vehicles > Nissan Leaf
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Range in wet weather

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrrosco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range in wet weather
    Posted: 15 June 2017 at 8:00am
Something I've noticed: driving in rain or when the roads are wet significantly reduces range. I have an 8km drive to work, which usually "costs" me up to 20km on the GOM - but when it's wet, that can easily double (ie, 8k costs between 30 and 40km).
Does anyone else find this? If so (or even if not!) does anyone have a clue why? I wouldn't have thought wet roads would have increased rolling resistance (and therefore power required) THAT much - but am I wrong?
leighf View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leighf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 5:26am
I've certainly noticed the same effect. My daily commute is about 60km and I typically get home with about 30km on the GOM. I mostly drive in ECO and only use the heater coming home. If it's raining it's more likely to be about 15km left (or even Low Battery Warning) when I get home.

Leigh
2012 Nissan LEAF, Cayenne Red
Purchased July 2012.
offgridQLD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offgridQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 11:04am
I'm sure there is some physics at play with the tyres needing to displace water on the road though I wouldn't expect it to be very significant.

Just like the stock low RR tyres factory fitted to the Imiev are supposed to help with energy consumption. I now have stock sized replacement tyres but none low RR spec and haven't noticed any measurable difference I consumption....just price to replace

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic