AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > EV Motoring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAC Electric Highway(TM) Feedback Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAC Electric Highway(TM) Feedback Thread.
    Posted: 29 March 2016 at 10:07am
This is the RAC Electric Highway(TM) Feedback Thread.

Don't stress. This your chance to let off some steam.

I want to hear it all. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Patrick Finnegan
photomac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 2:15pm
First of all...thank you!
Hyper criticism - concerns -
1] Partially missed opportunity ( could have been a cost / location thing ) to make the cables able to reach four parking bays. Achievable if placed at the centre of four bays in larger parking areas like Busselton.
2] Prominence is effective advertising for RAC and EV charging awareness The Margaret River is very good, away from very busy centre but prominent on a main road that doesn't annoy ICErs access to shops yet convenient to EVers.
3] I worry they are more prone to vandalism if tucked away, like Busselton, Augusta, Harvey. Bunbury surprised me but it is near a bus port.   Security cameras or "deterrents' essential such as the recently installed one at Bunbury.
4] 2 chargers per town, different locations, would reduce fear of charger vandalism, festival blocking, power outages and malfunctions.
5] Would love to see it through to Albany.
6] Destination chargers - L2 - assistance to B&B / Hotel / Caravan Park owners, may be a way to achieve a larger spread.

Good luck and thanks again !!!!!
RaVOLT ( Matthew Clifton )
Yes,   we can.   
Rusdy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 2:51pm
Please, please, pleeeeeaaase have an online status (operational or not). Plugshare is good (and thanks to q4ber for the consistency!!) but not real time enough.

I was VERY nervous prior my trip in early this year, since I have a toddler and a young kid in the journey. To arrive and find them non-operational will be a nightmare for me. Thankfully, I haven't experienced it (only once in RAC city).

An SMS subscription (for non-operational station) is a nice to have, but not essential.

Everything else ditto with Matt.
Christik View Drop Down
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 5:45pm
the Electric Highway made the final decision for me to buy an EV and so glad I did. I agree with other comments however am aware that things develop over time and it's been a Huge year of advancement for EV's in WA. So much exposure to the general driving public - who are all interested to learn even if it is not for them.
mikedufty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikedufty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by photomac photomac wrote:

4] 2 chargers per town, different locations, would reduce fear of charger vandalism, festival blocking, power outages and malfunctions.

Or put them 50km apart so if there is a problem you have a chance of making it to the next one.

Actually I still don't see it as very practical for the i-MiEV while I have an alternative vehicle available, but its a nice publicity thing.
ElectricLeafRoz View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricLeafRoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 10:16pm
Am I missing something?
ChargeStar is going to start charging from 1 April to use the RAC Electric Hwy, which is very fair, but nowhere have I come across what it's going to cost or how it will work.
Can you please advise me where to find this info?
And a big thank you for the free chargeups that I have enjoyed since buying my electric Leaf in early December
Roz of the Electric Leaf
photomac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote photomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 10:46pm
When you go to load your smart card you will see it is 10c per unit of energy. A lot cheaper than at home ( if no solar ). Works out for my LEAF at $1.50 per 100km on the country run or $1.20 urban cycle
Yes,   we can.   
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 6:45am
A map of the charging stations is now available from the chargestar.com.au homepage or direct on this link: Charge Star Map

Press PF5 to refresh the map on your browser. Click on the station icons for more information.

NB: Some of the AC stations are showing off-line because of a comms problem with Telstra. We are working to resolve this issue. All AC stations are operational as of now and can be accessed with a Genie card.

Edited by E-STATION - 30 March 2016 at 1:29pm
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 6:46am
x

Edited by E-STATION - 30 March 2016 at 6:47am
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 6:47am

First of all...thank you!
Hyper criticism - concerns -
1] Partially missed opportunity ( could have been a cost / location thing ) to make the cables able to reach four parking bays. Achievable if placed at the centre of four bays in larger parking areas like Busselton.
2] Prominence is effective advertising for RAC and EV charging awareness The Margaret River is very good, away from very busy centre but prominent on a main road that doesn't annoy ICErs access to shops yet convenient to EVers.
3] I worry they are more prone to vandalism if tucked away, like Busselton, Augusta, Harvey. Bunbury surprised me but it is near a bus port.   Security cameras or "deterrents' essential such as the recently installed one at Bunbury.
5] Would love to see it through to Albany.
6] Destination chargers - L2 - assistance to B&B / Hotel / Caravan Park owners, may be a way to achieve a larger spread.

Good luck and thanks again !!!!!
RaVOLT ( Matthew Clifton )

E-Station had absolutely no input or control over the location of the stations, number of stations, number of bays or advertising. We may be able to make recommendations in the future and we will take your points on board.
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Rusdy Rusdy wrote:

Please, please, pleeeeeaaase have an online status (operational or not). Plugshare is good (and thanks to q4ber for the consistency!!) but not real time enough.

I was VERY nervous prior my trip in early this year, since I have a toddler and a young kid in the journey. To arrive and find them non-operational will be a nightmare for me. Thankfully, I haven't experienced it (only once in RAC city).

An SMS subscription (for non-operational station) is a nice to have, but not essential.

Everything else ditto with Matt.

Genie is being rolled out over the next two weeks. There is a map going up on www.chargestar.com.au in the next couple of days that will indicate the status and availability of each station. We don't intend to implement station reservation because experience in other countries suggests that there are too many no-shows. Usage will be on a first in best dressed basis.
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 6:55am
Originally posted by mikedufty mikedufty wrote:

Or put them 50km apart so if there is a problem you have a chance of making it to the next one.

Actually I still don't see it as very practical for the i-MiEV while I have an alternative vehicle available, but its a nice publicity thing.

Multiple DC stations at each location and stations every 50k would be ideal if funding was available.
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 6:58am
Originally posted by ElectricLeafRoz ElectricLeafRoz wrote:

Am I missing something?
ChargeStar is going to start charging from 1 April to use the RAC Electric Hwy, which is very fair, but nowhere have I come across what it's going to cost or how it will work.
Can you please advise me where to find this info?
And a big thank you for the free chargeups that I have enjoyed since buying my electric Leaf in early December

That was the plan but the date on which charging will commence has been put back to later in the year. We will keep drivers updated via email.
Rusdy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 1:48pm
Wow! That's what I call a service! Implemented before I asked for it!!

Speaking about reservation no-no, that's good. Although best dressed won't be good for me either, since I'll be in shorts and thongs most of the time
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 5:15pm
Charge Star Genie has now been rolled out to all stations in the RAC Electric Highway(TM) Network. A Genie RFID card is now required to access the stations.

A map indicating station availability is displayed on the "MAP" tab of the driver portal and on the home page of http://chargestar.com.au/

Register for a Genie card on www.chargestar.com.au.

Power will remain free until further notice.

Edited by E-STATION - 30 March 2016 at 5:20pm
ElectricLeafRoz View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElectricLeafRoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 7:06pm
Thanks very much, that's the info I needed. Yes, much cheaper than charging at home. By the way, if you have a dog, you can do a good walk from the RAC in West Perth up to the Harold Boaz gardens while the car is charging, dog appreciates this! What a great change from filling up at a petrol station, I love it!
Roz of the Electric Leaf
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 7:27am
Does anyone have ideas as to how to mitigate pressing of the E-stop button / Big Red Button (BRB) by passersby?

Edited by g4qber - 01 April 2016 at 7:28am
2011 i-MiEV - 86k kms
2014 i3 REx 90k kms
photomac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 8:03am
If we have the RF card from ChargeStar would that act as a swipe card to unlock a cover to access to buttons / cable ends? The button is meant to be an emergency button which suggests quick, uncomplicated access, apart from the odd TeslaS burning at a charge station I would think most fire/electrocution dangers would trigger an auto-shut down??????
Yes,   we can.   
E-STATION View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-STATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 6:05pm
Some stations on the Charge Star network are showing offline on the network map because there are certain individuals with an anti-social personality disorder who think it is fun to switch the stations off by pressing the red emergency stop button. We are working on a solution for this.    

https://www.chargepointgenie.com/Chargestar/Network

Edited by E-STATION - 02 April 2016 at 7:07pm
lesmando View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesmando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 7:42pm
Hi, link isn't working

les
reecho View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 8:59pm
Remove the butttons.....

What could possibly go wrong.... :-)
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2016 at 5:55am
https://www.chargepointgenie.com/Chargestar/Network

Edited by g4qber - 02 April 2016 at 5:58am
2011 i-MiEV - 86k kms
2014 i3 REx 90k kms
mikedufty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikedufty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 5:56pm
Is there any information anywhere about the chargestar stuff? I signed up for the card and was able to charge, but now have a notification that I have -21.835 units on my account. Does that mean anything? I can't see anything on the RAC webpage about it. I see there is a post above saying it is still free until further notice, unless I've missed the notice?

Edit - if it makes a difference I actually charged on the old AC J1772 charger at RAC HQ, not the fast charger. Still seems very little information around on the chargestar stuff.

Edited by mikedufty - 15 May 2016 at 5:58pm
photomac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 7:01pm
try http://chargestar.com.au
There you can track usage and pre-load the card

Edited by photomac - 15 May 2016 at 7:02pm
Yes,   we can.   
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 6:01am
http://chargestar.com.au

correct link
Rob when is the new AEVA forum coming?

$1 per connection + $0.45 per kWh
both AC 7kW and AC 22kW/DC 50kW is charged.

Edited by g4qber - 16 May 2016 at 6:03am
2011 i-MiEV - 86k kms
2014 i3 REx 90k kms
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic