AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussion > Technical and conversion discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quad bike EV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quad bike EV
    Posted: 06 April 2016 at 1:12pm
Hi There

I am considering modification of an old Yamaha 250cc quad bike to EV.

I have a neurological condition which makes my right foot useless on the quad bike foot brake, so I want to construct a unit which slows down maximally when I ease off the throttle. Am I right in thinking that an AC system with regenerative braking would be my best option?

I would welcome advice on regenerative braking, particularly at slow speed appropriate to travelling at under 10 kph over rough paddocks. Would I be right in thinking that braking will be more effective at higher speeds? Will it be effective at very low speeds?

I am considering the Motenergy ME1117 motor and Sevcon controller.

Advice welcome

thanks

Rob

jonescg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 7:51pm
Yes, AC will be the way to go here. What power does the bike currently make? A Motenergy dual stator motor should be good for 15 kW all day long, and 30 kW peak (40 hp). No doubt plenty for a quad.

AC will allow you to enjoy regenerative braking as you throttle off with a few simple settings on the controller. You can set the maximum regen torque to anything you like, but as a general rule on motorcycles, about 10% of peak forward torque is heaps.

Get in touch with Geoff O'Toole from GT Tooling - he's based in Sydney but has built some electric quads before.
I challenge you to come up with a better invention than the bicycle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic