AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PIP-4048MS inverter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 646566
Author
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 35 minutes ago at 1:56pm
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum.Great to be able to contribute. Paukvk and I purchased eight PIP-4048WM VERSIONS(2015). One(mine) has been on line for about 2 years just out of warranty.Paulvk for about same time.
HAs been running well until last week or so when loaded up to 82A through batt/solar mode.Noticed smoke burning white smoke -blowing form fan exits-shut down and took off line immediately in view of stress,blowing Mosphets.Although no failure was noted but we suspected caps.(Underrated 3300uF 65v electros)

After calling GPower without much help was totally frustrated why main board could not be removed and was going to ask you?

Quite amazingly as I was working on the same problem at the same time on the same day(Yesterday) as you!!
Thanks soo much for the post because that is ONE sneaky screw under date code designation label!!!

Have done visual -no dc checks of Mosphets but noticed one of 3300uF 65V electros closest to rear of inverter light brown colour slight leakage component side between pcb and cap crimp rim diam.
So will research new caps,check mosphets and advise. Will probanly put this one back on line and replace cap on other PIP
Thanks again!!
weber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 55 minutes ago at 4:36pm
Welcome Howard. Yes., that Coulomb is one coul doud.

You're lucky you only got the sweet white smoke of Gandalf the capacitor and not the foul-smelling black smoke of Sauron the MOSFET.

Coulomb and I recently did an exhaustive search of Digikey, Mouser, RS Components and Element14, looking for suitable upgraded capacitors with an 80 V or more rating. This time we allowed for capacitors up to 22 mm in diameter, as previously one could only fit 18 mm. But we did not find any new option with low enough ESR or impedance, and high enough ripple current. So our recommendation for the capacitors is exactly the same as it was 2 years ago.

Here's the data sheet for the existing capacitors. I had to request this from the capacitor manufacturer. It seems it is a "special", i.e. not part of their standard line.
Jamicon WL-series 3300 uF 63 V 105°C 2000 hour

Here's our recommended upgrade.
United Chemi-con EKZN800ELL 182MM40S, 1800uF 80V 105°C 10,000 hour
Digikey part 565-4129-ND. Also available from other suppliers.

Here's my post from 2 years ago, in which you can read more details about this choice, and the slight hit taken on impedance and ripple current in return for voltage and endurance.
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/pip4048ms-inverter_topic4332_post56103.html#56103

The existing MOSFETs are the 75 V IRFB3077.

A few weeks ago I listed 5 potential choices for upgrading these MOSFETs to 100 V.
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/pip4048ms-inverter_topic4332_post64007.html#64007
We've since settled on the SUP70040E.
Digikey part SUP70040E-GE3-ND. May be available from other suppliers.

As with the capacitors, we've taken a slight hit on current ratings and on-resistance in return for the voltage rating, but the intention was that no spec should be significantly worse than that of the 75 V IRFB3307 used by the manufacturer two years ago.

I note that each inverter uses 4 of the capacitors and 16 of the MOSFETs. You may choose to replace only the capacitors, but you should definitely replace all four at once, even if only one has failed. The others won't be far behind. And since it is such a pain to get the board out, you might consider upgrading the MOSFETs at the same time.

Same goes if only half the MOSFET have blown. You should replace all 16 of them, and the 4 caps.

Yesterday at my place, Coulomb pre-emptively upgraded the MOSFETs and capacitors in his PIP, to the above choices. I have just heard that he has reinstalled the PIP and it is working fine.

But of course we cannot guarantee this upgrade. You do it at your own risk.

Edited by weber - 9 hours 59 minutes ago at 5:32pm
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
Howard View Drop Down
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 51 minutes ago at 5:40pm
Hi Weber ,
Thanks for that and first message ...Yep will do .Plan to do all that.Concur on mosphets and overall view.
We will need about 32 capacitors for all units.We were thinking about Nichicon for caps but have to check specs & bulk order?
You guys using earth straps on wrists?
Thanks again..no worries yes realize the risks.
weber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 52 minutes ago at 7:39pm
Hi Howard. We didn't bother with anti-static wrist straps because the humidity is so high here in Brisbane at the moment. Let's face it, it almost always is, except for a few weeks in winter. But they are a good idea.

We looked at Nichicon capacitors. We did not find any 80 V (or higher) Nichicons in 22 mm (or less) diameter with radial leads, with a low enough high-frequency-impedance and a high enough ripple current, along with a 105°C endurance rating of 2000 hours or more. If you think you might have found one, please point us at it.

I note that these are the important parameters in this application. The capacitance is utterly irrelevant.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 646566
  Share Topic