AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Production Electric Vehicles > Mitsubishi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new to phev driving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to phev driving
    Posted: 15 July 2017 at 6:04am
After 10 years of driving a Pius, my wife and I needed to switch to an awd with higher clearance, hence the Outlander my14.5 which we purchased last weekend. As we are on standalone power I wanted to give it a go. Initially I was a little disappointed with the economy on the run home from Melbourne, so I am wondering if anyone has any tips on getting the best out of driving the PHEV and maybe some of the aspects of the info systems.
MM
Ultralights View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultralights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 9:11am
Welcome to the PHEV family.
What kind of figures are you getting to be disappointed with? i average about 7l/100 Km, which is pretty good for a big 5 seat SUV burning petrol,   but its the overall figure your after.
I have owned mine now for nearly 12 months, and fuel use average over that time is right on the book numbers of 1.9 L/100Km.    sure, a snow trip, or run interstate will get that up, but its offset by the weeks and months of commuting to work, shops, doctors, school etc burning nothing at all that get your figures back down.

i cant even remember the last time i took it to a service station over the last few months.

as for the MMCS (infotainemtn system) it can be a pain in the butt to start with, i hate the satnav, and never use it, have google maps and smartphones for that.   as for the screen, i have it on splitscreen mode, and rarely change it.

as for getting the best from it, i find using B0 mode regen is great, and do a lot of coasting, then i use the paddles to control braking through the regen.
on the motorway, or out of range of the battery, i let the main battery drain to about 20% full, then switch to save mode.    this leaves the battery at a level where it will take the most charge the quickest, getting the most from regen down hills and less running time of the engine to get energy back into the battery, and also leaves a bit of power in reserve to assist the petrol up steep hills, or overtaking.    i find my average fuel use when doing this on longer trips settles around 6.5L/100km.

another little tip, if the outside temperature is 10 lower than inside, or what you set the climate control temp tp, the petrol motor will start to generate heat.     you will love electric heated seats if you have them.
malmak View Drop Down
Moderated
Moderated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 11:27am
Thanks for the tips. Yes the fuel consumption was 7.2l/100km over 350kms which had a few long hills, so Im not too worried. Unfortunately I have the base model so no heated seats. Not sure what you mean by BO mode, but I am starting to get the hand of the regen braking paddles. I was not aware of using the save mode when the batteries get down to 20%. Thanks again for the tip hopefully I will be able to get trip economy down below the 7/100 mark.
MM
Ultralights View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultralights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:34pm
With the paddles, you will see a letter B on the dashboard, and a number beside it, B5 is the strongest braking regen force and B0, is Zero braking force, which means, on flat ground, or slight inclines, or approaching intersections, the car will just roll and roll and roll.

when using cruise control, the braking is automatically set to B2, so the car can use it to control speed on hills, and gain some energy back.     i think just putting it into Drive, default sets the regen or B mode, to B2.

if you pull (tap) the gear selector back while in drive, it goes to B3, pull it back again, and it goes to B5. then push it back into drive to reset it to the default mode.     or just use the paddles, up and down.   if you hold the down paddle for 2 seconds, it resets the B mode to B2.

Mine didnt come with heated seats, but you can get some from an Aspire model and put them in (a wrecker), all you need is the switch from the centre console, and relay from the fuse box under the passenger side dash, and you have heated seats.   all the wiring is already there. is just a bolt in plug in affair.

with the Save and charge modes, you can use them any time.   i use Save mostly, as it holds the batter level constant, it drives for 5 km on the battery, then the engine fires up to recharge the battery back to where you set it, once there, it turns off, and drives again on battery only for 5 or so km, rinse repeat.   but when you stop, the motor stops as well.

charge mode will run the engine until the battery is recharged, and the engine wont stop even when the car comes to a stop at lights or whatever.

common habit seams to be putting the car into charge mode if driving up some steep hills, or towing. and sometime before approaching those hills, to get max power in the battery to help the petrol elnge with the steep climb or heavy tow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic