AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > AEVA Branches > Non-Branch areas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini conversion to Electric

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniTaiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini conversion to Electric
    Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:00pm
G'day from Hobart,
This is my first post to this AEVA forum. It comes through wanting to know if anyone in Hobart or Tassie in general is converting or has converted an old mini to electric?
I have been considering supercharging my mini that I've had for 25 years and realise it's going to be expensive. Not that converting to Electric is going to be cheaper, far from it I would say.
Because fuel prices are going through the roof I am more inclined to want an electric conversion as range is not really an issue down here in Hobart and I like the thought of going faster with not much noise to go with it.
If anyone wants to help me get an idea of what size motors etc I'm going to need and then help to build then I'd appreciate that.
I do have things to swap or sell to afford this conversion.
TasyMoke View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasyMoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2011 at 3:41pm
I too am considering a mini (moke) conversion, also in Tasmania.
There is talk of a a group forming I will keep you posted
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2011 at 5:14pm
Having owned a reasonably quick Mini in the past (1360 with big cam and full race ported, big valve, Cooper S head) I can gaurantee you will still have the same issue if you go electric and that is torque steer.

But I think of the two electric would be more fun and more controlable. I played around with the idea of a RWD Mini before finally deciding on my current project.

If you are seriously contemplating supercharging the thing, then pick a decent sized motor to get equivilant jollies.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2011 at 5:22pm
I should problably mention I still have some Mini Metro Turbo diff gears sitting at home which did only a few thousand klms if your interested, the are no good for a N/A motor, but would be the bees knees for a supercharged or electric Mini (I was half way through turboing mine when I decided to sell it).

From memory they are something like 3.09:1

Edited by EV2Go - 03 April 2011 at 5:23pm
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
TasyMoke View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasyMoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2011 at 6:31pm
Thanks for the response but my Moke is a travelling toolbox.
I merely want an electric Moke not a supercharged speed machine, so if anyone can direct me to information for a basic mini or moke conversion I will be grateful.
Speedily View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2011 at 6:38pm
How about a Datsun/subaru dife stick the motor on top of the dife use a belt from the motor to dife that way you can Get a oneway LSD end up with no torque steer and lots of room for batteries....     
a4x4kiwi View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4x4kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2011 at 6:43pm
I have heard of one Mini conversion. It was a real pain because the firewall got in the way due to the gearbox / motor arrangement. It ended up needing a ?Swift? gearbox retrofitted. Apparently it was a long and complicated process.
Silicon is just sand with attitude.

Blog: http://malfunction.faed.name
a4x4kiwi View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4x4kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2011 at 6:45pm
I meant to suggest, search EV Album for examples.
Silicon is just sand with attitude.

Blog: http://malfunction.faed.name
TasyMoke View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasyMoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2011 at 7:06am
Thanks for the links, it all helps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic